Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell around Boots on Shop Street

Options
  • 22-03-2010 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Does anyone else notice that foul stench daily outside Boots on Shop Street? It's disgusting and I don't recall ever smelling it at night?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

Oh yeah, what the hell is it?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Always happens in dry weather. It's the smell from the sewers!

It's the only thing I can fault with Galway on a sunny day!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

from the title i would've said socks. but yeah, sunny days have their draw back!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

Why does it only seem to happen outside Boots and McDonalds and nowhere else on Shop St. ? Maybe some drains need cleaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Yeah it's the sewers, you can smell it too sometimes at the top of shop street near the camera shop. It's disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

thegrayson wrote: »
    Maybe some drains need cleaning.

There must be something they can do to get rid of the smell, or at least minimise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Awful smell of fart around the place alright.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You're taking your life into your hands having a smoke outside the kings head with that wall of stench alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

I think it's from McDonalds, not Boots... I remember asking someone about it before, and the answer had something to do with fat/grease traps and drainage? It's worse with animal fats, and mcDonalds must have a lot of that with the frying...it's horrendous in good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Seems to be a recurring issue in Galway, wasn't there awful trouble with the drainage near Zhivago/Supermacs in Eyre Square last summer?

Can never forget the good auld Claddagh pong either :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

When I worked in restaurants (albeit in Canada) there were strict laws surrounding the disposal of cooking fats. Strict laws that involved making the newbie dump the used cooking fat into large vats in the back alley, I might add. Quite a good appetite suppressant, that...

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

I walked from m&s down to anthony ryans on saturday and there were a few spots on the way were there was a foul stench. The missus kept giving me dirty looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Xiney wrote: »
    When I worked in restaurants (albeit in Canada) there were strict laws surrounding the disposal of cooking fats. Strict laws that involved making the newbie dump the used cooking fat into large vats in the back alley, I might add. Quite a good appetite suppressant, that...

Ahh, grease traps.

I reckon that one of the worst jobs is being the tanker driver who goes around to empty the vats. Back in my McJobs days, we used to assign smart 16 year olds who there thinking about quitting school for a career in fast-food to help this guy, it usually turned their thinking around pretty quickly.

I'm not sure that Galway's street smells are always grease-traps, though. You get a similar smell in various other places, including Prospect Hill, and Eyre Square outside AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I was never the swotty 16 year old with a view of quitting school... but I was of course at some point either a) the most junior employee or b) the one who was least likely to tell the boss to f off...

ugh I can still see/smell it now, just thinking about it... and it was years ago sick0001.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Ahhh... The all too familiar smell of shít and McDonalds on Shop Street. Is it bad that it doesn't really bother as much anymore? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

It's fúcking cúntish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

thegrayson wrote: »
    Why does it only seem to happen outside Boots and McDonalds and nowhere else on Shop St. ? Maybe some drains need cleaning.

Ah now, i've got it everywhere at one point from Tis Coili to Cellar/Corbett Court. Although McDonalds to McCambridge's is ground zero!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Interestingly, lots of street-works people have been digging holes in the city streets today and yesterday. Not sure if what they're doing is smell-related or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

No, I'm pretty sure the Chorus/NTL signs indicate that those workers were in fact carrying out work for the aforementioned employers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Xiney wrote: »

The same laws apply here, you have to dispose of your fats, animal and otherwise, properly or get a massive fine. I doubt McDonald's are satupid enough to risk the fine/closure for breaking th law so I highly doubt the problem is from them dumping pats down their drains, also, the fat would instantly coagulate and block their drainage pipes completely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Having worked in numerous kitchens I can assure you that fats build up whether you have decent and well maintained grease traps anyway... there's always some residue from the dish-washer and pots!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭anoda_username

was wondering what that smell was too...surely very bad for business!

Advertisement