Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Vodka

Options
  • 22-03-2010 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

You hear from the experts that smirnoff is sh ite

So im wondering what is good vodka? anyone have a good vodka that you can buy over here?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No idea what the best is, only vodka I like is the 'russian standard' brand vodka you can get here. I drink it straight from the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Grey goose, its expensive, but worth it, i mean 'drink it straight from the bottle' worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

russian standard is one of the few vodka's that i would drink neat.
    It's a lovely tipple

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'd agree with Russian Standard. The best selling vodka in Russia and they know their vodka! The 500ml bottle is widely available at a very cool E14.99. The 700ml at E19.99 represents great value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Russian Standard is good.

Stolichnaya is also very good, usually have a bottle at home. It's easily one of the best affordable and available Vodka's on the market. (the 'Elit' is excellent, but rarely available and expensive).

I also like Smirnoff Black Label, and Absolut Blue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Russian Standard, or this stuff:
    zubrowka.jpg

A drop of apple juice makes it very drinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Claasman wrote: »
    Grey goose, its expensive, but worth it, i mean 'drink it straight from the bottle' worth it...

Grey Goose is for silly americans. It really isn't worth the money.

OP, I saw a blog ages ago where some lad got a good few of his mates to blind test the most popular ranges of vodka available and then mark what they thought of each. Smirnoff came out on top (or 2nd, I cannot remember). It really is decent. I like this stuff too. The Polish are mad for it. It's better frozen too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Teferi wrote: »
    Grey Goose is for silly americans. It really isn't worth the money.

TRUE!

On the expensive side, the best vodka imo is Ketel One or Stoli Elit (by Stolichnaya). I prefer Ketel One, but it's a matter of taste.

For a regular vodka, you cannot beat Russian Standard or Finlandia.
    Smirnoff is absolute garbage (only 37.5% ABV too! ;)).
    Absolut is ok too, but I don't think it has a clean taste like Russian Standard or the oft overlooked Finlandia!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 smile27

I tried Graduate Vodka when was on promo in Lidl a couple of weeks ago and I was quite satysfied with the taste. It could be good choice for regular vodka. I think I paid 16€ for 0.7 bottle (40% ABV) so it wasn't that bad. I like Danzka also but I usually buy it at the airport as I have no idea where to buy this vodka in here. If anyone knows let me know!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Zubrowka
    Wyborowa
    Stolichnaya

All about 20 - 25 euro.

For a real top class one Wyborowa Single Estate is €50, but it's amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

I find with Whiskey's there's lots of ways of distinguishing between them. But since Vodka by its nature is a fairly plain spirit, what constitutes a good vodka? One example could be a vodka which is 40% alcohol or more, but doesnt taste to alcoholish and have bad "burn" on the throat. What else would people look for?

Advertisement