Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harry Reynolds/Ben McKenna/IVCA race Summerhill

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks Raam. That almost sounds exciting. :)

Better to have tried (several times) but not prevailed than to have sat in the bunch and got bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    Thanks Raam. That almost sounds exciting. :)

Better to have tried (several times) but not prevailed than to have sat in the bunch and got bored.

Thanks, Lumen. I'm disappointed that I couldn't stay with the bunch after my attack, but I am happy that I tried to do something. It's all building blocks I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

To Add to Raam's always good race reports despite not posting all the resulkts over every race to keep everyone happy seeing as Cycling Ireland have nothing yet.

I flogged myself yesterday and had offered to try domestique for Raam today as I think the course could suit him in the right conditions. We went out with a plan which involved attacking a few times and trying to race and do something to the race instead of the race controlling us. Spoke to a couple of lads form the previous day who were prepared to work and told them we were going to go hard at certain points to try and break it up.
    Attacked at these points but wasn't meant to be maybe cos just me and Raam working hard . First lap hung on in the hills. I'm not a big fan of hills at 15 &1//2 stone. Start second laps big struggle maybe worked too hard first lap maybe just tired maybe just not great on hills. A group were away but talking to the lads in that group afterwards they said no-one was prepared to work and they were caught. I hung in and we caught some A3's including ladies and yes I did draft. Last night was 15 year lads today it was ladies. I am ashamed. :(. Caught the group ahead and it rolled around to the old N1
    Spoke to Raam againand he said he was struggling but left it as his call so attacked hard to try and lead him out , of course at that point Glena mddy our clubmate was leading so looked a bit bad or sly that he was slowing it down as we came round the outisde, went hard for 500 metres and waited for Raam to come thru then as he went thru sat up. He had already said he was struggling but he still stayed away for another half a mile so considering he says his legs aren't great I think he has more in him and it's early days yet.

Sat on near the front and to be honest expected to be murdered. Watched 3 guys I knew were strong from previous races and stayed on them for as long as I could but was in top ten or so. Wheel was dropped three places ahead and let a yell to cross over so the guy who dropped it to be fair made the gap. Cut the corner still was top 8 or so. Dundalk lad jumped as I expected someone would and again I yelled but did not chase just sat on. Was suprised I was still in the game and a ferociuous downhill before the final sprint loomed, got on a crap nervous wheel and wasn't prepared to risk rounding him. Saw eventual winner go through a very small gap the downhill and was concious I wasn't going to do that.

Hit final strech in top 12/14 guy infront was too far off the wheel so had to go around him. Caught the next wheel but suffered two caught me but went again and caught a few bodies and got 9th. To be in the mix I needed to have been more aggressive down the hill and wasn't prepared to do that.

Really happy again today.We went out with a few goals the 4 of us as a team did all we could and did what we agreed to do and learnt some lessons. Was suprised how strong Iwas on a hilly course and went through some suffering and came good towards the end. Saw good performances over the weekend form the lads who trained in the winter and defo felt we tried some stuff.

I know it's only A4 but it's all new to me and better to try and fail than sit in a bunch for 2 hours and then sit up in the sprint. Nice to have a chat afterwards with the lads on what we can do better and then hear what others percieve it too. Think first and second today upgraded and some of the lads move to mountain bikes now so the dynamic changes again by the next race. Roll on the Stamullen races and hope I haven't peaked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shaunrigley

Beasty wrote: »
    Congratulations Shaun - tremendous result, particularly as you have been suffering from a cold this week - all that work on Tuesdays and Thursdays looks like it's paying off.

I will post a few pictures later (not sure if you realised I was at the corner of the R127 where it turns up to Milverton NS). I have a few of you, sitting at the back of the bunch - in fact every lap you seemed to be concentrating on sticking to the wheel of a young lady:D `

Just to clear things up I am in fact a 15 year old boy.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies - it must have been your shaved legs that confused me:)

Welcome to boards, and very well done, both yesterday and in your other races so far this season - there are one or two on here that have raced against you and have been very impressed

Just read that The Crunch got second unplaced A4 in the Harry Reynolds yesterday.

Nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Love the reports Shaungil and Raam and well done to both of you.
    Special congrats to Shaungil on your win yesterday. 15 1/2 stone :eek:, maybe you should be considering the track as I was watching the sprinters in the world championships today. Christ have any of you seen the legs on Robert Forsterman, German track sprinter. I thought Hoy was big.
    You will be a marked man especially when you lose a few more pounds. Well done again.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

sy wrote: »
    Special congrats to Shaungil on your win yesterday. 15 1/2 stone :eek:, maybe you should be considering the track as I was watching the sprinters in the world championships today. Christ have any of you seen the legs on Robert Forsterman, German track sprinter. I thought Hoy was big.
    You will be a marked man especially when you lose a few more pounds. Well done again.

Shaun's backside is officially much larger than Hoy's (check out some of the pictures I posted yesterday!)

You never know, I might even persuade him to try out Sundrive one day;)

sy wrote: »

I'm sure Shaun would to love to claim the win, but it was a different Swords rider who clinched it yesterday, Paul Kennedy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

@ Beasty we'll see on Saturday how the track goes.
    @ Raam. Sssssshhhhh I'll going to pretend to be Paul for a little longer
    @ Shaun welcome to Baords great work yesterday look forward to a tow up some hills in the future and nice name spelling.

am shattered now off to bed for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

Raam wrote: »
    I know him from Porto

or Operation Puerto? Do you have a dog? If yes, what's his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rubs

+1 on the race reports, as it appears the vast majority of people enjoy them....I for one was racing in Limerick and find it great getting an insiders view of the race from people that actually raced the event....keep it up!

Also, I would agree with the comment about boards as it is possibly the best source of info. for races....Cycling Ireland`s website is a joke and any query that is posed here is normally answered within hours...

...keep it up lads..and ladettes`s:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Psssst... Has it calmed down in here yet ?

Looking at the race photos posted on Irish Cycling this morning , I cant help but notice another pile up during sprint for finish of A3 race..

Any one any comments / info ?

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Psssst... Has it calmed down in here yet ?

Looking at the race photos posted on Irish Cycling this morning , I cant help but notice another pile up during sprint for finish of A3 race..

Any one any comments / info ?

I saw it, but only from the distance at the start line, so I don't know what caused it. A Swords buddy says that it wasn't too bad, but I can't confirm exactly. I managed to get my arse on Irish Cycling. Going for the face next time.

I saw it, but only from the distance at the start line, so I don't know what caused it. A Swords buddy says that it wasn't too bad, but I can't confirm exactly. I managed to get my arse on Irish Cycling. Going for the face next time.

Its a start.......:D

• Advertisement

Actually I got my mush on Irish Cycling once now come to think of it ..... Have to be happy with this as I dont think it will ever be for winning a race.. Im the dude in the blue Tshirt telling Lance to get a move on .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBBFHQXuEY0

Back to the racing and away from the personal insults, Paul Kennedy has been moved up to A2 already! Is that within the rules or is it a bit harsh for a guy just coming back?

Harsh? How?

Harsh? How?

well on sat morning he was an A4.Ok he was upgraded to A3 but now he is A2 after yest.

What are the regs for moving from A3 to A2 or is it the fact he is an Ex international?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBBFHQXuEY0

Back to the racing and away from the personal insults, Paul Kennedy has been moved up to A2 already! Is that within the rules or is it a bit harsh for a guy just coming back?

He upgraded himself from A4 so he could ride the Gorey. Since then among other results a 3rd, 4th, and 2 wins put him well over the 20 points needed for upgrading.

His sprinting especially is really on a different level to the rest of the A3/4's.

Technically ex internationals are not supposed to be given A4 licences. I think Stephen Spratts exploits as a 3rd cat a few years ago made an impact !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

He was on 12 points in A3 and then got two wins back to back. 6 points each; 20 to upgrade. The man's ability is hardly in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

Good to see swords riders getting up there ! and great to see the boards lads
    getting into harsh world that is the Irish peloton !!!!

I wish I was racing this year .... the bunches look bigger... plenty of new wheels to hide behind ! ha ha !

May Bob should change the name the SIDESHOWBOB ............

Biker Joe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

54 riders in the race I was in. DMS (Divided Mass Start) meaning that the league I'm in started with the next league up the ladder, better guys.

3 laps of about 12 miles each, 60k. Warrenstown Arms Pub towards Batterstown direction and turn in left at the new roundabout and up on the new road / bypass section. Finish line up on the new road, exposed and windy, uphill drag to the finish, a few hundred metres.
    Three races run off at the same time. First lap and on the new road section, the race ahead of us had a few riders touch wheels and one guy, as we passed, was completely flaked out on the deck. Looked very serious. Being attended to by paramedics.
    Uneventful until the last lap. About 9 miles out or something, 4 lads took off. Held at about 500 metres till the end. No one bothered to take up a chase even though I went to the front and organised about 5 of us to do turns and try and get moving. Fizzled out after a while.
    They were away.
    Pace picks up about 5 miles out. Riders strung out in a line, bit of a bunch at the back. I was around 7th in line. No one letting riders in etc. Tight / fast. 3 odd miles out I'm up to about 4th in line. Pace not letting up. Around the roundabout safely, mile or less left.

The breakaway lads were approaching the finish I reckon. Game over.

I'm up to second. I think Sean Lally on my wheel. Swords jersey. Keep glancing over my shoulder. Bray lad hammers by, about 500 to go. I leave the wheel in front of me and just about get on to the Bray guys wheel. Onto the drag to the finish. About 200 to go. I'm dying!! In the gutter to the left to hold people off passing on the inside. Glance over the shoulder. Bloody bunch is about 3 yds. back about 6 deep and fly by.
    Couldn't hang on to them and come in 31st.
    Ah well. Good fun.

....and I've just been contracted to ride for RadioShack........

Planet X wrote: »
    ....and I've just been contracted to ride for RadioShack........

Well, it is an old man's team ;)

Well, it is an old man's team ;)

Rumour has it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Fair play Shaun and well done yesterday. Good ride on Saturday, too.

Incidentally, any links for race reports on boards.ie from riders who have won senior A or B (pre 2010) and/or A1 or A2 races (2010)?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

Some of the posters here, are racing a LONG time ! And have plenty of experience, and I for one am willing to share it ... for I am Old now !!! and possibly less wise ! :D

As for the "New" Racers, they seem to doing very well, for starters RAAM has won the Swords League, a very heated battle over 24 Events, CP's and a few TT's, very difficult to win, many have tried over the years, and many have failed, very few if any win a league on a 1st attempt !

And I see that blorg has won an open race, and Shaungil and RAAM are starting to get into the moves amongst others !!!

It's looks like these so called "Novices" will not be novices for very long.....
    they are some talented riders here, wheather they are starting out or not it does n't matter ! wheather they win or not it does n't matter !! Let them write the reports of loses and wins !!!
    Because we can all learn from their reports ! About how to ride a race, how to read a race etc .... when you should ride hard, when you should n't ...trying not to let that wheel go ... trying to close that gap.. or even trying to bridge accross to that break !! Staying away and getting caught when to riase your arms and when not to !!!!... all lessons .....

Listen and learn Bobski !!

Joe.

Incidentally, Victoria Pendleton said after the track worlds at weekend that she could watch all the race videos she wanted from the British Cycling Federations library but there is nothing like race experience. That point of view is equally relevant to road racing as track I believe.

• Advertisement

Off-topic posts moved to Tedious Bickering.

edit: I'm fed up of moving off-topic posts so have closed the thread for 24 hours or so.

Advertisement