Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rebuilding/binning/swapping my damaged wheel?

• 22-03-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi People -

I was involved in a messy episode at yesterday's race where someone sliced my fron't wheel with their pedal.

The result is a Roval Fusee Wheel with no spokes left one on side, hub collaped on the one side and now is squeeky.

My Wheels

I just called cycleways who said they can't quote me until they see the wheel ... which I will bring over tonight. Any idea?

If buying a new front wheel is cheaper than ghetting it repaired .. i might just do that ...

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Pic's of your damaged wheel would be helpful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

If the hub is damaged I think it's best to replace it.

If you were getting it repaired I'd recommend Humphries in Santry for any wheel building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

72hundred wrote: »
    Pic's of your damaged wheel would be helpful.

If I had pics I would post them, but I am in work.
    It's a 20 spoke wheel swith ten of them gone. The hubs looks ok, but squeeks and probably needs new bearings.

@RobFowl: Santry is a bit far for me, I think I will stick to city centre or my club's fav JDs in Dundrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would suspect a new front wheel would make most sense, sounds like there is a lot of work in fixing that.

I have 300 euro in my wheel fund ... RS80 ... 400 quid would be a good new pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I think that the main concern should be whether the hub and/or rim are damaged. Even if there was no impact directly on either of them, the force exerted on them by the spokes being stressed to the point of snapping could have caused issues that will require that one or both of them need to be replaced. I have seen a snapped spoke leave a gouge around the spoke hole of an aluminium hub before - that was a very minor bit of damage, I just replaced the spoke and the wheel was fine, but having all of the spokes on one side shredded would make me wonder about how healthy the hub and rim remain. Serious damage should be visible by eye, but to get a proper assessment might be tricky and for that I'd bring it to a bike shop that you trust to get their opinion (ideally bring it to an experienced, and good, wheelbuilder if you can find one - tricky though as not all wheelbuilders are "good").

If the axle no longer turns smoothly in the hub, this might point to some kind of serious damage, so try to assess that cause of the axle issue first if you can. Check for a bent axle, for example - a simple bent axle can be replaced but it'll obviously add to the cost and might bring you closer to the cost of a new wheel. If it's just the bearings (and cones) that need replacing that may be relatively simple/cheap depending on the type of bearings it uses (sealed bearings require a different set of tools, or just a very careful use of a hammer and screwdriver, and the bearings themselves are usually a bit more expensive). If the bearing races are damaged, you are looking at a new hub.

In the best case all you'll need will be a new set of spokes. If those are bladed spokes they'll be more pricey than regular spokes (as a guide, a decent set of 36 regular/round double-butted spokes are in or around €20). From your link above to the wheels, Roval seem to have a non-regular spoke+nipple setup which some shops/wheelbuilders might not be comfortable working on so something else to bear in mind.

So, I'd suggest investigating the axle/hub first to see if that needs replacing. Then check the rim for visible signs of damage. If all looks okay, bring it to a decent wheelbuilder to get their view on its condition and a quote for repairing it. I certainly wouldn't write off the wheel as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

Cliff from cyclogical is now in Eurocycle- pretty good with the wheel building.

I have a Rolf 20spoke wheel, if suitable?(cheap!)-Rolf factory rim(no idea what it is...)

The rim looks fine - I will see what the specialized expert say - I have never had problem with cycleways, they're just very busy in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Bear in mind that the complete wheelset is available from a few places for £245 (such as Cyclestore.) Get it assessed but the level of the damage is such it may be expensive to fix and you may not get the wheel back 100%. Can't find anywhere selling just a front wheel but you might have luck with a Specialized dealer.

That's a good option indeed :) will see what they say to me later.

• Advertisement

Karma wrote: »
    Cliff from cyclogical is now in Eurocycle- pretty good with the wheel building.

I agree. I'd trust Cliff's assessment of the state of health of a wheel. I'd also trust him to build or repair any kind of wheel.

doozerie wrote: »
    I agree. I'd trust Cliff's assessment of the state of health of a wheel. I'd also trust him to build or repair any kind of wheel.

when I spoke to them about my wheel before a few months ago, they sent me to cycleways ( the back wheel was the issue last time ) because they weren't used to the Roval-Spesh wheels ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

maybe its some of "its thier product and well, we dont support it..."
    but Cliff is in "Eurocycles" on sth william st... no longer on the quays :)

when I spoke to them about my wheel before a few months ago, they sent me to cycleways ( the back wheel was the issue last time ) because they weren't used to the Roval-Spesh wheels ...

I think it depends on who you deal with in Cyclelogical. If you were talking to anyone other than Cliff himself (short-ish guy, stocky, tight haircut), they are probably more inclined to turn you away. Cliff might too, but I'd be surprised as I think he'd be comfortable tackling any wheel. They might have been concerned about difficulties in getting hold of the Roval spokes though, I guess.

I'm not sure whether Cliff does wheelbuilding for/in Eurocycles, but he's probably worth a try.

Advertisement