Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's one for ye. Durability of new Firearms Certificates

Options
  • 22-03-2010 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

:rolleyes:

So, I'm down to under a box of Hornady and I'm hunting online for ammo and find a good deal. Pay for it and now I have to scan and send my F.C. to the seller so they can fill in their ammo book. All dandy.

Except...

I remove my F.C. from it's plastic pouch that came supplied with the F.C. so I can scan it. The print from the card is sticking to and coming off with the plastic pouch.

I tried this with all my licenses and it has happened to all of them. I do keep them 24/7 in my wallet which likely doesn't help matters.

Just a cautionary note, leave the licenses with the guns in the safe anymore IMO.

Proper credit card type would so have solved a lot of issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

It's to late for you now John but I scaned all my licenses and printed them out. :eek:

Then I laminated them all, got the laminater from Aldi €19 :D

I now have the proper licenses in the safe and carry one copy in my wallet, another copy in the car, another copy in my shooting jacket. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Thanks for the heads up John, sounds like a disaster.

Did you get sorted in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Just checked mine which have lived in my wallet since November and no problems. But the Gardai were good enough to send me 2 sets, so I have spares if anything does go wrong:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I scanned both sides of the actual letter with the licence in it and keep it with me in the car. I keep the actual licence in the office and its already battered from carrying it out once or twice in my pocket!!:eek:

Any suggestions for good sites to buy ammo online John I am beginning to run low too!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Wouldn't worry to much about this one lads, when we reapply in 3years it will probably be a new system.
    What a farce of a setup in this country,
    Even a safe pass is a better card:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

greenpeter wrote: »

I actually cracked my safepass card in two :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

If you scan a 6 county licence it comes up FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD all over the image :(

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Interesting. Do you know what the current turn around time is at home Glensman? My renewal has been in the pipeline the last six weeks and all I had back in the second week was a receipt from them for it.

Cheers,

Mallards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

greenpeter wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry to much about this one lads, when we reapply in 3years it will probably be a new system.
    What a farce of a setup in this country,

I wouldn't be surprised if they brought out barcode style tattoos for all firearms owners, being the crooks that we are and everything:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

murph226 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if they brought out barcode style tattoos for all firearms owners, being the crooks that we are and everything:rolleyes:
    I'd happily except that if it saved hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Finally!!! One Man One Licence! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

They are actually talking about doing that at the moment. I believe theres a few tattoo artist tendering for the contract but theres meant to be a few issues concerning health and safety, tattooist hygiene etc the usual stuff that goes with all government tendering. Im thinking of getting a tattoo of Mary Harneys cleevage when Im called, although I think it has to be of Dermot Aherns head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

mallards wrote: »
    Interesting. Do you know what the current turn around time is at home Glensman? My renewal has been in the pipeline the last six weeks and all I had back in the second week was a receipt from them for it.

Cheers,

Mallards.

I sent mine off Jan 6th. Lisnasharragh claim to have posted it back to me as incomplete on the 26th, they are lying, they actually lost it. Had to fill in a second application and go to the bottom of the queue.:mad:

As regards standard waiting times, the fastest I heard of was a guy in Armagh got his in 7 weeks, but that was rimfire which is faster and he kicks with the correct foot :cool:. I expect mine to take in and around 6-7 months for a centrefire rifle.:(

BASC have been pushing to get times cut but apparently there's a backlog and they aren't even looking at applications for 12 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Sparks wrote: »
    Finally!!! One Man One Licence! :D

Your applying logic to the proposed implementation of a tattoo barcode system for firearms owners.

This IS Ireland Sparks!

One firearm one barcode, you would have to renew your barcodes every three years, but when it was time to renew your barcodes you would be told it was the same as if you never had one.

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

thedragon wrote: »
    They are actually talking about doing that at the moment. I believe theres a few tattoo artist tendering for the contract but theres meant to be a few issues concerning health and safety, tattooist hygiene etc the usual stuff that goes with all government tendering. Im thinking of getting a tattoo of Mary Harneys cleevage when Im called, although I think it has to be of Dermot Aherns head.

Will we be able to choose where we get tatooed. After all we don't want to go down the beach and everyone know we have firearms.

Dvs wrote: »
    Your applying logic to the proposed implementation of a tattoo barcode system for firearms owners.

This IS Ireland Sparks!

One firearm one barcode, you would have to renew your barcodes every three years, but when it was time to renew your barcodes you would be told it was the same as if you never had one.

Dvs.
    Of course, but it'd all be on the same man, wouldn't it? :D
    Mind you, they'd probably get it wrong and you'd wind up with a licence for a sliced panloaf...

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Will we be able to choose where we get tatooed. After all we don't want to go down the beach and everyone know we have firearms.

You would have to give an undertaking to keep them covered at all times for security, but if you appealed a decision to refuse the grant of a license, your nude photo would be published on page three of the local paper.......

Dvs.

Dvs wrote: »
    You would have to give an undertaking to keep them covered at all times for security, but if you appealed a decision to refuse the grant of a license, your nude photo would be published on page three of the local paper.......
    "No your honour, I said I had my licence for my firearm tattooed on my weapon"...
    :D

Sparks wrote: »
    Mind you, they'd probably get it wrong and you'd wind up with a licence for a sliced panloaf...

I am in favour of licenses for panloafs,
    I saw annecdotal evidence on the interwebnet mypipe thingy,
    that criminals might be thinking about using them to make illegal toast,
    the distinction to all intents and purposes between legal and illegal panloafs is irelevant, these panloafs are the very same as the police and military panloafs used by the garda and army............

Dvs.

Advertisement