Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CISCO EPC2425 IRC Problems UPC Dublin

• 22-03-2010 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

Moved into an apartment here n Dublin and just trying to unravel the ball of ****e that the above named router is.

IRC simply does not work with it from what I have seen so far, I have forwarded any ports that may have been needed for IRC and no joy. Also certain web-pages namely breakingnews.ie is unable to load. I have tried using alternate DNS on one of the systems here in-case that was the problem but to no avail.

Has anyone managed to get connected to IRC servers correctly without having to relay on a web based solution?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Long shot but perhaps a MTU issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

IRC simply does not work with it from what I have seen so far, I have forwarded any ports that may have been needed for IRC and no joy. Also certain web-pages namely breakingnews.ie is unable to load. I have tried using alternate DNS on one of the systems here in-case that was the problem but to no avail.

It's a known bug in the router so no fixes that I'm aware of. I do know that UPC have a firmware update that addresses the fault, however they haven't rolled it out yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ronan, see my previous posts on this IRC issue http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055804631

There is no fix for it. Webchat doesn't work either. I posted my problem to mIRC themselves as well http://trout.snt.utwente.nl/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=219287&Searchpage=1&Main=40334&Words=&topic=7&Search=true&PHPSESSID=af

After many phone calls to UPC since the start of February which in the end they could not get IRC working using the router at their end either, I was informed by UPC as a result of my complaint on this IRC problem that they are due to 'upgrade the system in my area' this week which may fix it.
    Whatever that means I do not know, it may mean a remote firmware upgrade of the router to fix the problem, possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Thanls all for the replies. Sadly not looking good!

You can either ring them up going through loads of phone calls to complain like I did, change provider or just accept IRC will never work for you :(

Try Mibbit.com for web based IRC, its the only one that works out there on the Cisco router. Its very basic though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I've heard a firmware update for the cisco is available today which fixes the IRC problem. A reboot of the modem and it should auto update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

This isn't limited to Dublin by the way, I have the same issue in Cork.

DingDong wrote: »
    I've heard a firmware update for the cisco is available today which fixes the IRC problem. A reboot of the modem and it should auto update.

The update hasn't been tested or released yet.

It has been released today bealtime .

I can confirm that IRC works today on my connection, about 7 weeks after first reporting it to UPC. I rebooted the modem around 7am before I headed to work to test it and it worked on 2 different IRC servers. Fingers crossed it is permanently fixed.

IRC found my PC hostname and IP address when it could not do that beforehand on the Cisco, good news there.

Dingdong, do you know if that update is nationwide?

• Advertisement

DingDong wrote: »
    It has been released today bealtime .

About time that it's been released...I reported this issue to Cisco last August.
    What other fixes are in the update?

I, for one, got fed up waiting for this fix and some other fixes and went back to the EPC2203.

AFAIK its nationwide. Not sure the full list of issues it fixes.

Advertisement