Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions of book to learn Italian (self-taught)

• 22-03-2010 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Can anyone suggest a good book to learn Italian by? I have been taking some lessons but would prefer to learn on in my own time, for free.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Can anyone suggest a good book to learn Italian by? I have been taking some lessons but would prefer to learn on in my own time, for free.

Thanks
    Russo is an old Italian grammar, but a useful one.
    However, there are faster ways to learn, depending on your competency level.
    If you understand a bit, try reading and transcribing from a bilingual text like "Ulysses", the Alitalia revista.
    You probably know about the weekly bi-lingual conversation evenings in public library in ilac shopping centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Irlandese wrote: »
    Russo is an old Italian grammar, but a useful one.
    However, there are faster ways to learn, depending on your competency level.
    If you understand a bit, try reading and transcribing from a bilingual text like "Ulysses", the Alitalia revista.
    You probably know about the weekly bi-lingual conversation evenings in public library in ilac shopping centre?

Couldn't find any details online of this Ulysses Alitalia revista text. Could you provide a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Couldn't find any details online of this Ulysses Alitalia revista text. Could you provide a link please?
    hi,
    It is the Alitalia in-flight magazine.
    Any edition will do.
    Spend 25 mins three or four times a week transcribing from Italian into Italian, reading out loud and checking the sentence meaning as you go. It is a memory reinforcement and fixing trick. There is a fair bit of theory behind the approach and it requires assistance, but I don't have the time to go into it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Daniele

Use a grammar book first. Italian language is too difficult for English people. There are too many verbal modes and times you are not used to using (sorry for tongue-twister).

P.S. I'm here in this forum principally to learn English. You could do the same in some Italian forum, or on IRC (I'm on Azzurra network).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Not sure if this available in Ireland, but I'm using a book and cd set call "Assimil" and I am finding it really useful. It was expensive though, 90 euro all in.

Also in reply to the above poster, of course Italian is hard but it is entirely possible for English speakers to learn it with a bit of application

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Chrisssyp

I have a few decent Italian books, but none really stand out, but I can recommend a good pack of revision cards - French Swot Cards. I got them free at a language fair, but they're nicely presented and easy to follow which is ideal if your a beginner. I don't think they're on sale in shops but you can get them online at swotcards.com. The more learning material you have the better in my opinion! :):)

Advertisement