Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Poisoning

Options
  • 22-03-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Not sure this is in the right section.

I went for a burger with my wife and son in a well known food chain in Dublin city centre.

Everything went well, food tasted nice. But about 2 hours after I had my burger (3pm) I had a feeling of bloatedness. This carried on for another 2 hours. So I wnet for a snooze, I woke up feeling worse, had diarrhea, was vomiting and had abdominal pains.

What are my rights here? I had to leave work. I spent all night in and out of the toilet, still today I have the affects.

The burger was all I ate all day.

Regards,
    Nabber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Nabber wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I went for a burger with my wife and son in a well known food chain in Dublin city centre.

Everything went well, food tasted nice. But about 2 hours after I had my burger (3pm) I had a feeling of bloatedness. This carried on for another 2 hours. So I wnet for a snooze, I woke up feeling worse, had diarrhea, was vomiting and had abdominal pains.

What are my rights here? I had to leave work. I spent all night in and out of the toilet, still today I have the affects.

Regards,
    Nabber

Unless you have a sample of the food you've no chance unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It may have been something you ate days ago, not necessarily on the day. Food poisoning can take several days for symptoms to arise. You cannot say it was what you ate that day without proof. It could very well have been self inflicted (not washing hands properly, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

As jor-el says, it would be very unusual that you would get the symptoms of food poisoning so soon after exposure to whatever caused it, unless you got a very serious bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Food poisoning generally takes a while to manifest.

If you believe that you did contract food poisoning, then contact your local Environmental Health Officer, who will investigate.

This is not a Consumer Issue, so I'm going to move to Food & Drink.

dudara

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yup, as the others said, it's extremely unlikely to be from the burger. You'd usually be looking at at least 8 hours for symptoms to appear, and it can take several days in some cases. Don't jump to conclusions that it was the burger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Could as easily be the winter vomiting virus, which is still rampaging around at the moment. I'd be more convinced if all of ye got it at the same time, then it would be easier to pin point exactly where you got it from. Burgers sold in chains are usually cooked right through, unless it was cold/pink in the centre - I'd say it should have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Thanks guys.

I rang the HSE. They said the same thing as you guys. The burger joint offered me €50 voucher. I rang them up to decline it there, but they said to keep it anyways.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep an eye on the family and make sure they don't get it.

Regards,
    Nabber

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm all for customer service and being generous but I think that, in this case, it was pretty silly of the restaurant to give you anything - it sort of implies culpability. Furthermore, if, in your head, it was that restaurant that made you sick, you're not going to eat there again anyway or recommend it, so why give the voucher?

Normal restaurant food poisoning claim policy is to deny everything (usually truthfully), offer sympathy and nothing more and give your kitchen a thorough going over just in case!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

usually youd go to the doctor who would take a sample of stool to id the pathogen....from there it is straight forward detective work to find the source. if for example restaurant A is accused of serving pate riddled with Listeria Monocytogenes it would stand to reason that there would be other cases of the food poisioning apart from the initally reported case..

OP...i doubt the burger was the reason for your illness..as others have mentioned the time lines dont really suggest so, unless the burger meat was really really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Nabber wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Regards,
    Nabber

Sorry Nabber but your post does smell of 'I got sick and it p1ssed me off now who can I blame'?. It's like the guy who falls over in the street and immediately wonders who he could sue.

The fact you got sick could be for any number of reasons. Maybe it was the burger, maybe it was something else. Maybe it was your own fault. You have little to go on in proving culpability on the burger joint. Now I know fast food joints probably do cause such things from time to time but if they do cause a serious dose of multiple food poisoning it's taken very seriously. I know of a Dubin branch of one well-known fast food outlet that got shut down for a few days once.

BTW, don't chuck the voucher away. Give it to somebody else or some poor homeless dude or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

...lol...while reading this thread, theres an ad for supermacs in the bottom right of the screen...not too sure how theyd like the idea of their banner on a thread like this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

that was decent of the burger place to offer you a voucher. I had a similar experience. went to a burger place and was in bits for days after. went to my gp who confirmed it was food poisoning. spoke with the burger place and i was told unless i had a sample of the burger they couldnt do anything. they said that they would "look into it" and came back to say all their burgers are coked for 3mins or w hatever its supposed to be and that was that.

nice guys!!!! NOT. never been back since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jimmytwomey

I have never really heard of bad burgers to be fair. Have heard of pleanty of bad chinese stories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Food poisoning can have an immediate effect. After eating in a restaurant on the Southside, about an hour after the meal, I was very ill. It went on for a couple of days and was confirmed through tests that it was food poisoning. Took another fortnight to be 100% well again.

It's very tiring hearing people always saying that it can take X number of hours. It basically depends on three things - the toxin/poison itself, the level of dose received and the individual systems ability to cope.

It's very unusual that a food establishment will offer a voucher, or to do anything that may be construed as admitting they were at fault. Unless they knew to expect a few calls...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have never really heard of bad burgers to be fair. Have heard of pleanty of bad chinese stories!

Yes, I've heard these stories too but I don't believe them. They are usually racist driven urban myths!

Advertisement