Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing Brambles

Options
  • 22-03-2010 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Just got round to clearing the back section of my garden & its just covered in Brambles - real thick industrial stuff !!! :eek:

I've dug out quite a bit, but its a never ending task....is there anything I can get to kill the roots ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Yes i can recomend a Heavy Duty hoe or a Trenching hoe thats what i used after spending days cutting them one by one with a butchers knife, i tried a bush cutter but just kept getting tangle in the things not to mention ripped to pieces.

You have to dig all the roots up or they will come back and also if any seeds remain from last year they will start to grow this year aswell but they are easily recognised so you can pull them out when still very young.

Get the tool from Sarahs secret garden centre in Newmarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We had problems with brambles that kept appearing in an otherwise quite civilised garden, they pop up out of concrete and in the middle of hedges. In the end I have treated them with systemic weedkiller.

You have to do it when they are actively growing, spray them or paint it on, dont spray anything you want to keep, then leave it for at least a couple of weeks. At first it looks as though nothing is happening, but then they start to die back and eventually you can dig out the dead root. You will probably get the odd chancer trying again, just treat it and leave it to die back.

Advertisement