Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more frosts?

Options
  • 22-03-2010 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Any predictions out there for no more possibility of frosts? Don't want to put my seeds and seedlings out too soon. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

We can and usually do, get frosts all through April, the severity drops off quite quickly though, I'm sure someone will have proper figures and post them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

It's highly unlikely there will be no more frosts this side of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

some frost forecast for later this week, thursday night i think

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Best wait; mine are hardening off outside then in at night if there is any frost forecast.

Having seen the weather warning for next week..

Was about to plant the broad beans out.. Not yet now.

Even when they do go out, we keep an old sheet or plastic sheeting ( splitting bin bags will do) to cover them if and when frost comes. As someone has said, there is always danger.. but plants need to be out soon and onions and potatoes in.

A cover will catch the frost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Graces7 wrote: »
    Best wait; mine are hardening off outside then in at night if there is any frost forecast.

Having seen the weather warning for next week..

Was about to plant the broad beans out.. Not yet now.

Even when they do go out, we keep an old sheet or plastic sheeting ( splitting bin bags will do) to cover them if and when frost comes. As someone has said, there is always danger.. but plants need to be out soon and onions and potatoes in.

A cover will catch the frost.

Thanks a mil! Starting my seeds as of last week inside, will be setting up the cold frame shortly.

So I should be getting my onion sets in the ground now, tho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

redalicat wrote: »
    Thanks a mil! Starting my seeds as of last week inside, will be setting up the cold frame shortly.

So I should be getting my onion sets in the ground now, tho?

Again, I was planning to get my onion setts and potatoes in after the weekend.. waiting now till after this icy spell next week.

Else they will get killed off by frost. (I lived many years on an offshore Scottish island where we could plant nothing out until at least April so ireland is easier than that..)

Just set some old sheets or plastic ready to cover them at night. You "can" buy special fleece, but plastic or cloth or even newspaper works fine. Leave space between seedlings and cover.

There is time yet!! We are always so eager to get things growing. Cannot even start runner beans yet either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

looks like we will get some more snow this week.
    SUNDAY NIGHT will be very cold in the northern half of the country with a sharp frost in many places. It will be cloudier further south, with outbreaks of rain spreading northwards to mainly affect many parts of Munster and south Leinster, and some of this will turn wintry in places. The rain will become more widespread on MONDAY, and with the cold temperatures, it will fall as sleet and snow in parts of Munster and Leinster. This mainly over high ground, but some is possible at lower levels too. However present indications suggest that northern and western parts of Connacht and Ulster should be mostly dry, with just small amounts of rain or sleet. The rain, sleet and snow will clear slowly eastwards through MONDAY NIGHT and TUESDAY, with clearer weather and scattered wintry showers following on fresh northerly winds. THE REST OF NEXT WEEK will be very cold with northerly winds persisting. There'll be widespread sharp frosts at night, and day time temperatures of between 4 and 9 degrees, highest along the south coast. The days will be bright with sunny spells and scattered wintry showers, these mainly in the north and west, where some falls of sleet and snow are likely.

Advertisement