Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gozo with kids

Options
  • 22-03-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I'm taking the family to Gozo in July and was hoping someone could give me some recommendations for things to do and places to see on the island?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I haven't been but tripadvisor has suggestions. You may have googled this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 superelectric

Cheers Biko, I read that review which although helpful was a little outdated. I was hoping someone had been to Gozo recently and might have some other recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Ramala is the only sandy beach, Xlendi Bay is a great spot for swimming during the day and eating at night. All the restaurants in Gozo are very kid friendly. Rabat is a must see. Boat trips around the island are fun and they go out to Camino and the Blue Grotto. If you're kids are like our kids then they still crave McDonalds. There's one in Victoria. There's also the salt flats and a number of ruins. I think in July there are a number of village festivals and these are worth going to for the atmosphere. Plenty of traditional music and fireworks.

If you've never been before it has a very different feel to Malta as it's much quieter, but I like that.Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 superelectric

That's a great help, cheers. Can you tell me if it's worth my while renting a car for the 2 weeks? From what I've read the island doesn't seem to be that big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭mackey087

as mentioned above ramala bay is a nice beach. the blue lagoon is great. nothing really to do on comino. you would probably end up getting ferry across to malta. the bus service is good but would advise getting a car if your into seeing lots of stuff. ive been to gozo lots but only on day trips from malta. the blue grotto, blue lagoon, st pauls island, numerous boat trips (glass bottomed, fishing trips) if you head over to malta try valetta, silent city, splash and fun water park, silema, near rabat is the one of the main glass blowing factories, hard to explain where but ask for the jesus tree- a tree that really looks like jesus on the cross(freaky) marshalok fishing village is good, markets and its near the free port. bira kara has great markets, i think they are better than valetta's. st julians is nice to see, the marina is great at nighttime. if your into shooting there are a lot of gun clubs. we go to mhagtab clay pigeon club its near buggiba on the way to the water park. hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

That's a great help, cheers. Can you tell me if it's worth my while renting a car for the 2 weeks? From what I've read the island doesn't seem to be that big.
    Rent one for a day or two just for a laugh. If they are anything like when I was there they are scrapheaps Classic 70's cars and great fun to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

gozo is much nicer than malta and far less built up. Xlendi bay, Rabat and Ramala are the only places i'd really recommed. we had a disasterous experience with renting one of the 'traditional farmhouses' steer clear, as far as i could see they were mostly newly built damp townhouses in villages with not a cow in sight!

St Patrick's hotel in xlendi bay is a great spot to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭jeoun

was in Malta/Gozo three weeks ago, what a fab place.

I would suggest to take the kids to Popeye's village near Mellieħa at Anchor Bay. Its a kinda theme park. A fun place to spend a few hours.

Also, take a harbour tour from Sliema. Two hours on a boat around the harbour with lots to see.

While staying on Gozo, make sure you visit the Azure Window. What a lovely sight, and well worth the trip on the bumpy road

Advertisement