Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknown timer device on electrical board (with pic)

• 22-03-2010 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Iv recently moved into an apartment. Theres a small timing device on the main electrical board.
    I cant seem to figure out what it is for. Its making an awful ticking noise like a clock but its much louder. iTS VERY ANNOYING!!!

Does anyone know what it is or what it may be used for? (see attachment)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

iknorr wrote: »
    Iv recently moved into an apartment. Theres a small timing device on the main electrical board.
    I cant seem to figure out what it is for. Its making an awful ticking noise like a clock but its much louder. iTS VERY ANNOYING!!!

Does anyone know what it is or what it may be used for? (see attachment)

As you have said it seems to be a timer, and given that it is beside your 40amp fuse I am guessing that it turns your power on and off if you require that function, possibly just to lights and sockets. You could have it removed easily enough if the sound is that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

Thanks for the reply.

I have turned the timer full cycle. Nothing seems to power on/off (some switches are in...others are out). it seems to be useless.

I have a thought in my head which i dont agree with but need some confirmation.......Would it be anything to do with the evening/day rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Perhaps it's connected to storage heaters, or an immersion heater?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

THAT WOULD PROB BE YOUR STORAGE HEATING TIMER, 2 ways to check flick it round and watch the power light on the nearest heater or find the 6amp fuse in the consumer unit and switch it off timer will go quiet......

nipplenuts ur answer is looking plausible.

just had a look around the hot press. theres 2 switches in there. One for day rate/booster. The other for night rate. i wonder is the timer acting as a switch to turn on/off day and night circuits. Ill give it a test.

Another thing i noticed is that theres a fan in the toilet that stays on for about 5 mins after the light is switched off. Anyway to stop this?

edit: just say ur post there hoffmans, ill check it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

nipplenuts ur answer is looking plausible.

just had a look around the hot press. theres 2 switches in there. One for day rate/booster. The other for night rate. i wonder is the timer acting as a switch to turn on/off day and night circuits. Ill give it a test.

Another thing i noticed is that theres a fan in the toilet that stays on for about 5 mins after the light is switched off. Anyway to stop this?

edit: just say ur post there hoffmans, ill check it now

The fan behaviour is pretty standard and should be like that. I think you can adjust the time if you wish on the fan. You will have to take it off the wall though to gain access to the timer.

Hoffmans wrote: »
    THAT WOULD PROB BE YOUR STORAGE HEATING TIMER, 2 ways to check flick it round and watch the power light on the nearest heater or find the 6amp fuse in the consumer unit and switch it off timer will go quiet......

Ok confirmed that the timer is for the hot press heaters. i dont use them anyway but i cant seem to stop the timer. It keeps clicking unless i turn off the main switch.
    The 6amp fuse..... there seem to be only one fuse on the "board", is this it?

The fan is going to be a nightmare to remove i bet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Ok confirmed that the timer is for the hot press heaters. i dont use them anyway but i cant seem to stop the timer. It keeps clicking unless i turn off the main switch.

The fan is going to be a nightmare to remove i bet!!

Normally its just one screw and the faceplate should come off. It should be no big deal.

Advertisement