Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vote for Irelands Greatest Person

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    (No Gay Byrne either... that did genuinely rasie an eyebrow)
    I think RTE personalities were excluded.

Stephen Gately. Is there anyone here that think he was Ireland's Greatest Person? Having him in there devalues the entire competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

In the absence of my cat, I voted for Noel Browne (cos he didn't fire my mum many years ago). Oh, and JC McQuaid tried to excommunicate him. Which was hard given Browne wasn't a believer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

In the absence of my cat, I voted for Noel Browne (cos he didn't fire my mum many years ago). Oh, and JC McQuaid tried to excommunicate him. Which was hard given Browne wasn't a believer.

I'm confused by this. Is your cat some magic eight ball that you shake and turn upside down for an answer? What has your cat got to do with it? When will they get to the fireworks factory!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

chin_grin wrote: »
    I'm confused by this. Is your cat some magic eight ball that you shake and turn upside down for an answer? What has your cat got to do with it? When will they get to the fireworks factory!!!!!

..my cat is easily a great Irish person. Its an RTE plot.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

No Glenda Gilson, Jack Charlton, Nina from Tekken... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

No Michael Davitt??????:eek: For shame:(

Surely this is a piss take though with the likes of Colin Farrell, Louis Walsh etc. included?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

When I initially read the thread title I thought it said "Vote for Irelands Gayest Prison" :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭oisinmc14

Anna pwns Nina anyday.....What about Steve he's half Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blueboyd

As a man I have to say that I wipe my butt with a list that has 37 men and only 3 women as Ireland's greatest

• Advertisement

Why is James Connolly (Scottish) in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why is James Connolly (Scottish) in there?
    Luis Walsh is in it, anything goes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

No Breffmeister?:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Ah Liam Cosgrave should be on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Noopti wrote: »
    When I initially read the thread title I thought it said "Vote for Irelands Gayest Prison" :confused:

Freudian?

Wishful Thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

David Norris deserves to be there

I voted Michael Collins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Agreed about Norris. I voted Mrs Robinson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Can't decide between Joyce, O'Connell and Parnell, still mulling over it. Out of currently living persons I would go for either John Hume or Mary Robinson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Jack Charlton is English

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ridiculous!

Look who else is missing: Stephen Ireland, Bertie Ahern, Cecelia Ahern, Maurice Ahern, Fr Brendan Smyth. Jeez, what a fcuked up list.

I'd vote for Hammy. If he made the list. But he didn't because Daniel O'Donnell, Roy Keane, Colin Farrell all made it. :rolleyes:

I mean how the fcuk can they have Keane on the list, but not Sean Kelly? Or Stephen Roche? Eamonn Coghlan, Ron Delany, Pat O'Callaghan?

What about Brian Boru? Or Grace O'Malley?

I mean, come on, get Charlie McCreevey on that list! He fcuked up our economy single-handed. No Seanie FitzPatrick, either. :pac:

I think Robbo will win by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

No Sean MacBride, Arthur Wellesley, Beckett, Dunlop. But there's Roy Keane?
    The man on the street in this country is a thick, man u supporting drunkard by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

bette wrote: »
    Greatest Irishmen? Well rock stars and boys band warblers do not come into this category!

There are only three decent candidates who are:

Collins
    Lemass
    Pearse

The rest are not great men. They are entertainers and the odd failed politician!

Daniel O'Connell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Couldn't believe most of that list. Adi Roche??!! Where's Constance Markievicz and Jim Larkin? And no scientists either. And no one from anytime before the 19th century. Where's Brian Boru? I voted for Michael Collins. He'll win by a mile.

Kalimah wrote: »
    Couldn't believe most of that list. Adi Roche??!! Where's Constance Markievicz and Jim Larkin? And no scientists either. And no one from anytime before the 19th century. Where's Brian Boru? I voted for Michael Collins. He'll win by a mile.

I was just about to post about Countess Markiewicz. There are only 3 women on the list and she's not on it...completely non-sensical!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

"He voted for me!" - Oscar Wilde on ScienceNerd's vote

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I voted for Parnell. If he wasn't caught shacked up with his mate's wife Irish history wouldn't have been so bloody in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Maybe Ireland's greatest person is the the old woman who does stuff for charity every day and never seeks and attention or praise. You have to be some kind of celebrity to be considered great?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Celebrity culture really rules. What a shame.

I veer towards Yeats, Wilde, Joyce, and Heaney meself.

The mystery for me is I couldn't off the top of my head scream one or two names out loud. Says it all really.

Anyway, take your pick from this list if no one shouts out at you either....

http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/encyclopedia/List_of_famous_Irish_people/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

How bout that Ronnie Drew he was O'rite ;)

ahh and dont forget Colm Meaney first irish chief engineer :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

How bout that Ronnie Drew he was O'rite ;)

ahh and dont forget Colm Meaney first irish chief engineer :P

Bollicks

Shell
    Exxon
    BP
    Manchester Liners
    Ellemans
    Cunard
    Hogarts

all had Irish Chiefs before The Federation shipping Corp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Wow

Some of the candidates there really show how messed up some people's priorities are.

Louis Walsh can compete against the likes of W.B. Yeats or Michael Collins but no Rory Gallagher? Kiss my hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Celebrity culture really rules. What a shame.

I veer towards Yeats, Wilde, Joyce, and Heaney meself.

The mystery for me is I couldn't off the top of my head scream one or two names out loud. Says it all really.
    I knew it was going to be Collins before I clicked the link, while I appreciate the art some of the others have contributed to Irish culture, Collins did real hard work that made a nation while the likes of Yeats hid under his bed. I'd rather take him and the few like him out of that poll and change the title to Irelands biggest gobshyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

It's basically a vote for Ireland's greatest famous person.

The Irish people working in Haiti and Darfur etc are greater people than most on that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Snas

This poll makes me angry.

However I can't choose between Collins, Pearse and Browne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

No Hugh O'Neill who was the First person to come up with the idea of Ireland as a country?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

gurramok wrote: »
    Never heard of Christy Ring before.

Ronan Keating who cannot sing is on the list along with Louis Walsh, are they having a giraffe??

your location is the reason for that.

has to be pearse

the only person involved in music that deserves to be there is ronnie drew. luke kelly should be on that list.

bono, geldof, louis walsh, keating, gately??? wtf :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Just voted for John O'Shea.

• Advertisement

Noopti wrote: »
    if it was gayest person, it would explain gately and louis walsh's inclusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Bollicks

Shell
    Exxon
    BP
    Manchester Liners
    Ellemans
    Cunard
    Hogarts

all had Irish Chiefs before The Federation shipping Corp.

But they didn't travel across the Universe beaming people up and down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Louis Walsh! ffs! Voted Michael Collins but half of that list shouldn't be there. Ridiculous.

Another pont is some of the people included in the list from Northern Ireland may not consider themselves Irish. I know quite a lot if not the vast majority of Unionists/Loyalists certainly consider themselves British as Northern Ierland is part of the UK.

I found it quite sly/inaccurate of the producers of the Greatest Irish Sportsperson Ever that at the start they said ''we are a small country of 4million people.....'' and the list included GEORGE BEST from the North! The Republic has around 4million
    , the North around 1.7million! FFS! :eek:

Another pont is some of the people included in the list from Northern Ireland may not consider themselves Irish. I know quite a lot if not the vast majority of Unionists/Loyalists certainly consider themselves British as Northern Ierland is part of the UK.

I found it quite sly/inaccurate of the producers of the Greatest Irish Sportsperson Ever that at the start they said ''we are a small country of 4million people.....'' and the list included GEORGE BEST from the North! The Republic has around 4million
    , the North around 1.7million! FFS! :eek:

who on that list wouldnt consider themselves irish? :confused: a twat like geldof, or should i say a twat like sir bob, i wouldnt mind about!

aDeener wrote: »
    who on that list wouldnt consider themselves irish? :confused: a twat like geldof, or should i say a twat like sir bob, i wouldnt mind about!
    I know what you're saying. I would say most would but do you gey my point re people from NI? I couldn't belive when they said 4million and included people from the North for the sports edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dublin 16 lad

Stephen Gately and Ronan Keating on the list and no Luke Kelly!?

The world is ****ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

bette wrote: »
    Greatest Irishmen? Well rock stars and boys band warblers do not come into this category!

There are only three decent candidates who are:

Collins
    Lemass
    Pearse

The rest are not great men. They are entertainers and the odd failed politician!

Pearse was a pedophile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Bertie Ahern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Kalimah wrote: »
    Couldn't believe most of that list. Adi Roche??!!
    The only reason Adi Roche is there is because she has a vagina. I voted for Parnell. I reckon if he had a big budget hollywood movie made about him he's get a lot more votes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I honestly don't know what to say about that, it's a fcuking disgrace.
    Colin fcuking Farrell? Ronan fcuking Keating? Stephen Fcuking Gately? Daniel O' Fcuking Donnell? Louis Fcuking Walsh?

And then of course there is no Peter O'Toole, Richard Harris or Samuel Beckett.
    Looking at that list....I'd probably have Neil Jordan and Jim Sheridan up for it as well.

Who makes these lists?

Obviously someone whos main source of information in life is Heat magazine...

• Advertisement
Advertisement