Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vote for Irelands Greatest Person

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The only reason Adi Roche is there is because she has a vagina. I voted for Parnell. I reckon if he had a big budget hollywood movie made about him he's get a lot more votes

Stinicker wrote: »
    Bertie Ahern

And he's there because he is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Philo got my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Colin fcuking Farrell? Ronan fcuking Keating? Stephen Fcuking Gately? Daniel O' Fcuking Donnell? Louis Fcuking Walsh?
    That's exactly how I read those names too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

No Gary Breen... No dice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Nulty wrote: »

How the f*ck did Gately get in there?

i'd imagine they are just trying to cater for all sections of their readership. either that or the person that put the list together is a flamer. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

aDeener wrote: »
    if it was gayest person, it would explain gately and louis walsh's inclusion

And Michael Collins. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Just voted for John O'Shea.

The head of GOAL, not the Man Utd journeyman i take it.. :D
    Before the lads here jump down your throat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Oh dear:confused:

best thing people could do with this list of fcuking liggers and non entities, well 70% of them are anyway, would be to ignore it.

Stephen Gately: please tell me that , genuine as the lad was, how in the name of fcuk does he crop up as a contender for Ireland's greatest person.

Never ever saw such a load of codswallop and pseudo gravitas in all my life.

Bury this load of crap in the deepest bunker as soon as possible before we are the laughing stock of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Pearse was a pedophile.

not true.
    that stupid bitch ruth dudley edwards tried to make the claim that he was subconciously a pedaster due to some poem he wrote. talk about being obscure. a brother of a woman he was friendly with claimed he proposed to her.

nonsense

And Michael Collins. ;)

less of that!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Where's Mr.Tayto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 WBC

Where is William Hamilton or Ernest Walton? Two people who contributed more than most on the list put together.

Although slightly less significant George Stokes, George Boole, John Tyndall, John Bell, William Parsons, etc.

This list is a joke, out of the 40 listed, the only people I could even consider worthy of naming;

Dr Noel Browne
    James Connolly
    Ronnie Drew
    Garret Fitzgearld
    Seamus Heaney
    James Joyce
    John B Keane
    Daniel O Connell
    Brian O Driscoll
    Sonia O Sullivan
    Charles Stewart Parnell
    Patrick Pearse
    Christy Ring
    Mary Robison
    Wolfe Tone
    Oscar Wilde
    W B Yeats

I would add
    Enya
    Ernest Walton
    Robert Boyle
    William Hamilton
    Sean Kelly
    Luke Kelly
    Rory Gallagher
    Arthur Guinness
    William Hamilton
    Ernest Shackleton
    Tom Clarke
    Sean MacDermott
    Brian Boru

Lots more I have left but this is what I could think up off the top of my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

No Shirley Temple Bar or the fat one from off the rals?
    Duncan_Bannatyne.jpg
    I'm out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Agree with the majority on here - the list is ****e - less than half deserve to be there:

Bono (reluctantly)
    Dr. Noel Browne
    Michael Collins
    James Connolly
    Éamon De Valera (I certainly wouldn't vote for him, but agree he should be on the list)
    Bob Geldof (because of his charity efforts only)
    Séamus Heaney
    John Hume
    James Joyce
    Phil Lynott
    Christy Moore
    Daniel O'Connell
    Charles Stewart Parnell
    Patrick H. Pearse
    Mary Robinson
    Wolfe Tone
    Oscar Wilde
    W.B. Yeats

People I'd add:

Countess Markiewicz
    Maud Gonne
    Jim Larkin
    Michael Davitt
    Robert Emmett
    Jonathon Swift
    Arthur Wellesley
    Samel Beckett
    Bobby Sands
    Brian Behan
    Rory Gallagher
    Gary Moore
    Henry Grattan
    Tom Crean
    Ernest Shakleton
    Brian Boru
    George Best

I think it would be a good idea for boards to come up with forty and to vote for them. Would probably be hard to get consensus on the forty though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Stephen Gately: please tell me that , genuine as the lad was, how in the name of fcuk does he crop up as a contender for Ireland's greatest person.
    Because he was gay and he died recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Because he was gay and he died recently.

Sad to say, this is probably the true reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 WBC

I think the best test of the list is to imagine it was 2110 and try and guess if the people on the list would be seen in the same light they are now. Would anyone honestly know who Ronan Keating, Stephen Gately, Louis Walsh etc are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

WBC wrote: »
    I think the best test of the list is to imagine it was 2110 and try and guess if the people on the list would be seen in the same light they are now. Would anyone honestly know who Ronan Keating, Stephen Gately, Louis Walsh etc are?
    Maybe they'll be held up as examples of just how self centred and dumb people in our time where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I'm surprised Mary O'Rourke isn't in there somewhere, she usually sticks her nose into everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'm surprised Mary O'Rourke isn't in there somewhere, she usually sticks her nose into everything.

If it was a Newstalk survey........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

WBC wrote: »
    This list is a joke, out of the 40 listed, the only people I could even consider worthy of naming;

Sonia O Sullivan

Why should Sonia O Sullivan be considered? She wanted to be Australian there for a while. The reason Roy Keane is being thrown out by a few people no doubt is cause he left in Saipain yet Sonia is still getting in when she wanted to represent a different country.

The only memory I have of Sonia anyway is that little Romanian one beating her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

No Joe Duffy :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

We should hi-jack this and all vote for someone ridiculous like Joe Dolan/Daniel O'Donnell or decent like Collins/Pearse or Browne. The ridiculous vote would be great as it would show it up for the stupid people they put on the fecking thing in the first place.
    Could you imagine the Joe Duffy show if Louis Walsh won it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Why is Stephen Gately in there ? Is it just because he's dead ?
    Why arent Keith and the other two goons in there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Oh my god, RONAN KEATING???

Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I wouldn't really consider him the greatest Irish person ever, but the only person I was able to remotely justify voting for was Michael Collins.

But I mean, in all seriousness - Haughey ? Louis Walsh ? Simon Gately ?

Whoever they interviewed to compile the list must be brain-dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

It's obviously dumbfounding that people think the likes of Stephen Gately or Daniel O'Donnell could be worthy of the title of greatest Irish person ever, however I think the bigger issue is that Ireland just doesn't have a very good pool of potential candidates to draw from.

My vote would be for C.S. Parnell or Daniel O'Connell.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I wouldn't really consider him the greatest Irish person ever, but the only person I was able to remotely justify voting for was Michael Collins.

But I mean, in all seriousness - Haughey ? Louis Walsh ? Simon Gately ?

Whoever they interviewed to compile the list must be brain-dead.

wtf?? how can you say michael collins and say there was no justification for tone, pearse and o'connell?? that makes no sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

Haughey??Bono??Louis walsh??

GARRET FVCKING FITZFERALD??!!?:mad:

Is that the best we can come up with??

EDIT: sorry, just saw Lemass is there, thankfully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

In fairness, it'll be mainly the idiots who watch Tubridy who'll do the voting. I'm going to see if PP will be offering odds on the thing, and putting 50 on either Daniel O Donnell or Gately to win.

Anyway, voted O Leary, for lulz.

• Advertisement

Its a toss-up between Dev and Lemass for me, BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

If you're going to include John Hume, why not George Best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ScottinCork

Johny Sexton for his tremendous contribution to Scottish Rugby.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

People I would rather vote for than Haughey or Walsh:
    Lord Kitchener
    Ed Carson
    Diarmaid McMurrough

Some more that should be on:
    Swift
    Shaw
    Beckett
    Kettle
    O'Casey
    O'Carolan
    Pat O'Callaghan
    Crean

sron wrote: »
    People I would rather vote for than Haughey or Walsh:
    Lord Kitchener
    Ed Carson
    Diarmaid McMurrough

Some more that should be on:
    Swift
    Shaw
    Beckett
    Kettle
    O'Casey
    O'Carolan
    Pat O'Callaghan
    Crean

Carson?Never in a million years.

Good point about Crean-didn't think of him.He should be on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Someone earlier said Arthur Wellesley (1st Duke of Wellington). Technically he would qualify as an Irishman and was one hell of a heavy hitter internationally. Plus he hated the Irish as much as he did Napoleon. Always give the prize to someone who wouldn't want it.:rolleyes:

Michael Gambon > Colin Farrell

Spike Milligan should also be in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

isn't Liam Neeson from the North? do they count?

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

So is John Hume and Seamus Heaney.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    So is John Hume and Seamus Heaney.

RTE have a thing about including UK people as Irish!

• Advertisement

No comment! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If the poll is Ireland, then I'd see nothing wrong with it including "Northern Ireland"

It'd be the same - to me - as someone incorrectly assuming that "America's Greatest Person" would have to be from North America.

If it was, then call it "North America's Greatest Person" (or, equivalently, "The Republic of Ireland's Greatest Person")

Of course, the proper title is "Ireland's Least Worst Person from a fairly poor set of choices"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

They were moaning on BBC Norn Iron just now that there was only 3 of their own in the 40 nominees and were especially gauled that George Best wasn't on the list. Personally I glad that the drink-driving, wife-beating, organ-wasting prick didn't make the cut.

BTW Louis Walsh isn't gay. It's just a coincidence that his closet goes all the way back to Narnia.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    If the poll is Ireland, then I'd see nothing wrong with it including "Northern Ireland"

It'd be the same - to me - as someone incorrectly assuming that "America's Greatest Person" would have to be from North America.

If it was, then call it "North America's Greatest Person" (or, equivalently, "The Republic of Ireland's Greatest Person")

Of course, the proper title is "Ireland's Least Worst Person from a fairly poor set of choices"

Well, North America includes Mexico and Canada so whatever point you're trying to make is all over the place

Well, North America includes Mexico and Canada so whatever point you're trying to make is all over the place

He's saying that 'Ireland' is the island of Ireland not the Republic of Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Go troll somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Well I'm glad to see the Irish contribution to the arts and culture is being appreciated in this list. Admittedly the likes of Behan and Beckett didn't get anywhere near it but Louis Walsh is in the running and I think that's sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

No Gaybo, a true shame.

I used to make fun of the chap when I was a kid but since I've grown up, I can appreciate how much he's done for Irish telly. He's like Ireland's Grandad at this stage.

Louis Walsh, Stephen Gately, Ronan Keating, Colin Farrell (Gabriel Byrne and Brendan Gleeson are two FAR better actors)...go **** yourselves.

Also, I had never even heard of Adi Roche or John O'Shea.

At least there's no Bertie on the list.

My votes split between Browne, Collins, Connolly, Fitzgerald, Lemass or Robinson.

I can see Dev winning by a country mile. :mad:

Still can't get over there being no Briain ó Nualáin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

m@cc@ wrote: »
    He's saying that 'Ireland' is the island of Ireland not the Republic of Ireland.

We need to define what Ireland is, and what an Irish person is, then we can go on from there.

We should also define what constitutes great and greatness, e.g. a great performance in L.A. Confidential isn't going to get you on the list, I don't think.

So, nominations on my desk on Monday morning, and exactly 50% of them should be male and 50% female. 15% should be gay, 7% should be protestant, 20% should be immigrants, and you get the picture.

But all of them should be great, which absolutely rules out anyone in the pop music industry or any soccer players. Or golfers. Or horse trainers. Or politicians. Especially corrupt ones.

Get to it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

BBC do the same the other way around.

Your point?

Advertisement