Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vote for Irelands Greatest Person

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

BBC do the same the other way around.

Your point?

Do they? Can you give example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Nulty wrote: »
    I think you gotta consider who the person you would vote for, would vote for.

Yeats would vote for Pearse IMO.

Therefore Pearse deserves the vote. Am I too blinded by logic?

Joe Dolan would vote for Gately, etc.

Woah, woah, back up there a minute.
    How did no-one pick up on this comment?

Joe Dolan would vote for Stephen Gately ????
    That's a terrible comment, bordering on sacrilege.
    I think the great Joe would have had a bit more class than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Bob Geldof and Bono were in the greatest Britons list. (Granted, they can have them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here is the "long list" for the BBC poll on same, I spot 4 Irish, two of whom were from the pre home-rule era

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Britons

Bono is in it! :eek:

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Bob Geldof and Bono were in the greatest Britons list. (Granted, they can have them)

well I can hardly blame them for thinking Geldof is British. Can't explain the Bono thing though, morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

No Gaybo, a true shame.

Yeah he could do with the few bob from the sounds of it. Even though he's "retired" the f**kers on the tv and radio now more than ever, it's like groundhog day with him, same sh!te different day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Who the fork is crusty ring? never heard of him.

Still can't get over there being no Briain ó Nualáin.
    Who? Never even heard of him.........:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

well I can hardly blame them for thinking Geldof is British. Can't explain the Bono thing though, morons.

Didn't the results of an AH poll result in Bono losing his Irish citizenship?

Perhaps I should stave off the horse tranquillisers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A lot of the names on the list are what I'd call "good characters" in their own way but greatest Irish person?
    No, that (for me) would have to be somebody that did something sustantial for the benefit of the state and thus by reflection, for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Cromwell

seanybiker wrote: »
    Who the fork is crusty ring? never heard of him.

I think he's the clown from the Simpsons or maybe one of the junior ministers with Fianna Failure.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Biggins wrote: »
    A lot of the names on the list are what I'd call "good characters" in their own way but greatest Irish person?
    No, that (for me) would have to be somebody that did something sustantial for the benefit of the state and thus by reflection, for us all.

Good for the state. hmmmmmmmmmm Bertie put us in some state?

Cromwell

Wasn't Cromwell Richard Harris, or was it the other way around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Who? Never even heard of him.........:confused:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flann_O%27Brien
    http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/Poetry/FlannOBrien.html

A literary genius trapped in a madman.

"The Workmans Friend"
    When things go wrong and will not come right,
    Though you do the best you can,
    When life looks black as the hour of night -
    A pint of plain is your only man.

When money's tight and hard to get
    And your horse has also ran,
    When all you have is a heap of debt -

When health is bad and your heart feels strange,
    And your face is pale and wan,
    When doctors say you need a change,

When food is scarce and your larder bare
    And no rashers grease your pan,
    When hunger grows as your meals are rare -

In time of trouble and lousey strife,
    You have still got a darlint plan
    You still can turn to a brighter life -

There should be only one man on this list, Michael Collins, most of the others wouldn't be worthy of picking dirt from his shoes imho, the majority of the rest of them are a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

They would have been better to just have a top 25 rather than padding it out with that shite.

"The Workmans Friend"

I thought that was from an old Gunniness ad? And you reckon that the author of that is worthy of being Irelands Greatest Person? Some of ye are very easily impressed.............:rolleyes: That old sh!te wrecks my head anyway tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I thought that was from an old Gunniness ad? And you reckon that the author of that is worthy of being Irelands Greatest Person? Some of ye are very easily impressed.............:rolleyes:
    If Louis Walsh can get on the list for force-feeding us manufactured pop and pimping anybody he thinks he can make money out of, then surely someone who has contributed to society with humour and masterful prose should be on that list too.

If Louis Walsh can get on the list for force-feeding us manufactured pop and pimping anybody he thinks he can make money out of, then surely someone who has contributed to society with humour and masterful prose should be on that list too.

Your probably right but it's still only sh!te along with 99% of the rest of the shower there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Why did I haev to go through so many screens to vote?

First list of pics was fine then info about the person when you click a pic, then a list of names vertically with no pics or bearing any real relation to the previous page and the vote button.

Irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Gráinne Ní Mháille or Nina Williams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

There should be only one man on this list, Michael Collins, most of the others wouldn't be worthy of picking dirt from his shoes imho, the majority of the rest of them are a joke.

really? another fella talkin sh!te here.
    collins said himself that he would have followed connolly to hell and back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Gráinne Mhaol, Robert Boyle or Collins FTW.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm not on it, ragin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I dont see your oul one on the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looking back through the Irish and British lists, one has the exponents of big ideas and epic undertakings throughout its recorded history and the other doesn't. Its not often you find the British have a greater apprication of history than the Irish who are supposed to be obsessed by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

"The Workmans Friend"

Love that peowm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭kiki

What about that great TV personality, singer, past politician

"DUSTIN THE TURKEY"

The poll is discriminates against Turkeys !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

This list is a joke. No David Norris?! If it weren't for Norris I doubt Stephen Gately or Louis Walsh (or Joe Dolan?) would be on that there list. Shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Well, North America includes Mexico and Canada so whatever point you're trying to make is all over the place

The point I'm trying to make is nowhere near "all over the place", and Mexico and Canada have no bearing on anything that I said, which was that there's no reason to assume that "America's Greatest Person" would have to be from North America.

But let me clarify based on your addition :

1. "USA's Greatest" obviously wouldn't include Mexico & Canada
    2. "North America's Greatest" should include those
    3. "America's Greatest" should also include Argentina, Brazil, etc, because they are in "South America"

Therefore, my point stands. 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    The point I'm trying to make is nowhere near "all over the place", and Mexico and Canada have no bearing on anything that I said, which was that there's no reason to assume that "America's Greatest Person" would have to be from North America.

But let me clarify based on your addition :

1. "USA's Greatest" obviously wouldn't include Mexico & Canada
    2. "North America's Greatest" should include those
    3. "America's Greatest" should also include Argentina, Brazil, etc, because they are in "South America"

Therefore, my point stands. 100%.
    If you guys read back a few pages I made that point regarding NI.

I read on The Sunday Times that the format in which the list was compiled was asking people on the streets (you'd wonder who they approached!)

What I hope happens is someone like Ronan Keating or Adi Roche would win it to show up what a joke the list is. Therefor, it wont have any credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If you guys read back a few pages I made that point regarding NI.

I read on The Sunday Times that the format in which the list was compiled was asking people on the streets (you'd wonder who they approached!)

What I hope happens is someone like Ronan Keating or Adi Roche would win it to show up what a joke the list is. Therefor, it wont have any credibility.
    If keating wins, joke or otherwise i'l nail my dick to the Spire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

If keating wins, joke or otherwise i'l nail my dick to the Spire
    I agree it's unlikely. I don't think he even deserves to be on the list never mind win it but to show the list up for the joke it is I hope some like him wins it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

cosmic wrote: »
    This list is a joke. No David Norris?! If it weren't for Norris I doubt Stephen Gately or Louis Walsh (or Joe Dolan?) would be on that there list. Shocking

I think serving polititians were excluded from the list and Norris is running for the presidency.

The final 5 will be the subject of a Late Late Show where each will have an advocate making their case. If Norris got through to the final, RTE were afraid that the Broadcasting Act would mean that they couldn't give him the attention without doing the same for the other candidates. Balance and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Cosmic wrote:
    This list is a joke.
    Hardly a joke, I was stuck between Daniel O'Connell and Charles Stewart Parnell. Two great Irishmen who both deserve to win.

In the end I voted for Charles Stewart Parnell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Hardly a joke, I was stuck between Daniel O'Connell and James Stewart Parnell. Two great Irishmen who both deserve to win.

In the end I voted for James Stewart Parnell.

Charles Stewart Parnell surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Charles Stewart Parnell surely?
    oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ronanlyons

Someone earlier said Arthur Wellesley (1st Duke of Wellington). Technically he would qualify as an Irishman and was one hell of a heavy hitter internationally. Plus he hated the Irish as much as he did Napoleon. Always give the prize to someone who wouldn't want it.:rolleyes:
    Perhaps worth reading your history - he didn't hate the Irish at all. In fact, little known fact on this island because it's not historically convenient, but he was responsible for the emancipation of the Catholics. In his eloquent speech on the subject (for which he sacrificed a lot politically), he referred to the Irish Catholics he had fought with over his career as the best and most loyal fighters in the UK army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

kiki wrote: »
    What about that great TV personality, singer, past politician

"DUSTIN THE TURKEY"

The poll is discriminates against Turkeys !!

I think they knew if Dustin was on it, the poll would be hijacked and he'd end up winning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Great? how do you define this? I'd start by suggesting that if there was an Irish person who could drag this nation, outta the $hite it now finds itself in.
    Well that for me would meet the criteria for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Paul Mc Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 4 yer man

I think the process of creating the short list is all wrong. The short list is an opportunity to allow us to exam who we are and who has shaped our lives and identity in the past, present and future.

I see 14 people listed that have no place on the list (Ronan Keating, Louis Walsh, Joe Dolan, Daniel O'Donnell, Roy Keane etc) and devalue the process and title of greatest irish person. In addition there are so many amazing irish people missing e.g. Countess Markievicz, Harry Ferguson, Dunlop, Samuel Beckett, George Bernard Shaw, Jonathan Swift, St.Brendan, St. Patrick, Grainne O'Malley I could go on.

Given that RTE have done a very poor job on this we should limit voting to the real turkeys they put forward as a protest. Any top 5 or 10 with Joe Dolan and louis Walsh will have no credibility and send the message that we value the title of Greatest Irish Person. RTE cannot take ownership of it unless they do so responsibily and credibly - they haven't so vote for the duffers and only the duffers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I voted for Louis Walsh :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Unfortunately the idea of voting for a turkey in protest would backfire as Ireland being a country of muppets lately would take it a face value.

Phillo for the win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

cosmic wrote: »
    This list is a joke
    Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Hardly a joke

Yes, a joke. Ok, so there are some decent people included, I voted for Yeats myself. But the inclusion of people like Ronan Keating, Louis Walsh and Micheal O'Leary make it a joke in my opinion. They might as well have stick Biran Dowling, or Bosco, on there while they were at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 savagecabage

i havnt looked through the whole thread so maybe this link is posted here already
    http://marymulvihill.net/2010/03/22/no-scientists-on-rtes-greatest-irish-shortlist/

it seems strange that not one of these names are on the RTE list but Louis Walsh is? what has he ever done for Ireland? have i missed a meeting? maybe this is RTE just having a bit of a laugh and i shouldnt be taking it that serious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bob Geldof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

They actually put gately on that list? FFS, I never even heard of him raising money for charity or anything, at least the plonker Ronan Keating did something...Gately just died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

bette wrote: »
    Greatest Irishmen? Well rock stars and boys band warblers do not come into this category!

There are only three decent candidates who are:

Collins
    Lemass
    Pearse

The rest are not great men. They are entertainers and the odd failed politician!
    What about Wolfe Tone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement