Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vote for Irelands Greatest Person

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

They actually put gately on that list? FFS, I never even heard of him raising money for charity or anything, at least the plonker Ronan Keating did something...Gately just died.

Homer:That Timmy O' Toole is a real hero.
    Lisa:How so?
    Homer: Well,he got trapped down a well and can't get out.
    Lisa:How does that make him a hero?
    Homer:Well,umm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

They actually put gately on that list? FFS, I never even heard of him raising money for charity or anything, at least the plonker Ronan Keating did something...Gately just died.

I heard he gave a lot of people a lot of pleasure during his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

yer man wrote: »
    I think the process of creating the short list is all wrong. The short list is an opportunity to allow us to exam who we are and who has shaped our lives and identity in the past, present and future.

I see 14 people listed that have no place on the list (Ronan Keating, Louis Walsh, Joe Dolan, Daniel O'Donnell, Roy Keane etc) and devalue the process and title of greatest irish person. In addition there are so many amazing irish people missing e.g. Countess Markievicz, Harry Ferguson, Dunlop, Samuel Beckett, George Bernard Shaw, Jonathan Swift, St.Brendan, St. Patrick, Grainne O'Malley I could go on.

Given that RTE have done a very poor job on this we should limit voting to the real turkeys they put forward as a protest. Any top 5 or 10 with Joe Dolan and louis Walsh will have no credibility and send the message that we value the title of Greatest Irish Person. RTE cannot take ownership of it unless they do so responsibily and credibly - they haven't so vote for the duffers and only the duffers!!

wasn't irish ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I heard he gave a lot of people a lot of pleasure during his life.

Jesus man,the guy's not long dead. Give the old double entendre a break. If I wanted to read that sort of thing, I'd read the Sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

fuck me - what a list. Was the MRBI poll conducted in a special home for fucktards? Daniel O'Donnel right beside Daniel O'Connel! Padriag Pearse in the same column as Louis Walsh!! Stephen Gately surrounded by Garret Fitzgerald, Eamon DeValera and John Hume!!!

And no sign of Dustin!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Its got to be Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭crushproof

I'm sorry but what a fúcking moronic poll.

Fecking celeb showbiz culture is so embedded in this country these days....driving me mad!!
    What on Earth have Stephen Gately, Colin Farrell, Ronan Keating, Daniel O'Donnell et all contributed to this nation that is on par with what Parnell, O'Connell and Lemass contributed????

And Haughey there as well?? Sweet jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

If Yeats is there, Beckett has to be there. On another note two fifth of boyzone is represented, only two fifth, what about the other bucks they were far more inspirational, one of them was on Coronation St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

BongoJuice wrote: »
    I didn't click on the link but I would like to vote for King William of Orange. We owe him a great debt as a nation.

Dont be so bloody daft.

King Billy was Dutch

Just like Bono

Oh wait........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

It was between Collins and Wilde for me. I ended up going with Wilde, not fully sure why. Maybe I felt he'll be understated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

bluto63 wrote: »
    It was between Collins and Wylde for me. I ended up going with Wylde, not fully sure why. Maybe I felt he'll be understated.

Metal fan by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Stacey.x

i voted for Steven Gately. :)
    hes an actual legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

bonerm wrote: »
    Metal fan by any chance?

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

What did Stephn Gately do only sings a few cover versions of shíte songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Crow71

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

MJ23 wrote: »

Sure didn't he increase the acceptance of gay people in the country by coming out of the closet (about 5 minutes before he was going to be outted anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Daniel O'fúcking Donnell?
    Words can't describe how ashamed I am that he could get into a poll of the 40 greatest natives of our country, he's a fúcking twat.

I voted for Collins.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Stacey.x wrote: »
    i voted for Steven Gately. :)
    hes an actual legend.

For doing what compared to the politicians and even the poets in that list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Pherekydes wrote: »
    So, nominations on my desk on Monday morning, and exactly 50% of them should be male and 50% female.
    But that's ridiculous, simply because women were excluded from politics, the arts and science for much of history and thus you're not going to find enough exceptional women. You might as well ask for them to be 90% working-class or 60% illiterate.
    15% should be gay
    But only 3-4% of people are
    7% should be protestant
    That shouldn't be a problem, most of our scientists & pre-20C writers were.
    20% should be immigrants
    Well there's deV and Connolly for a start...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

crushproof wrote: »
    I'm sorry but what a fúcking moronic poll.

Fecking celeb showbiz culture is so embedded in this country these days....driving me mad!!
    What on Earth have Stephen Gately, Colin Farrell, Ronan Keating, Daniel O'Donnell et all contributed to this nation that is on par with what Parnell, O'Connell and Lemass contributed????

And Haughey there as well?? Sweet jaysus

its not though, although the media are trying their utmost for it to be. sindo et al.
    i dont know of anyone who fawns after these retards. its a wonder that gobshite gerald kean isnt in the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

vote noel browne

wiki why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Updated to the last 10 now, boards.ie and the accompanying poll thread was mentioned on Ryan Tubbers show this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mike65 wrote: »
    Updated to the last 10 now, boards.ie and the accompanying poll thread was mentioned on Ryan Tubbers show this morning.
    Cool :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I dont see your ould ones on the list

MJ23 wrote: »

Just for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tmbu7T2Xso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I understand Gately got into the top 10, there isn't a rolleyes big enough for that, not even this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/apr/04/ferriter-slams-rte-over-irelands-greatest-top-10/?q=Ferriter
    Ferriter slams RTE over 'Ireland's Greatest' top 10
    Jennifer Bray
    Diarmaid Ferriter: 'hard to take seriously'

THE list of early contenders to become 'Ireland's Greatest' person - which includes four people who are still alive - has been criticised by leading historian Diarmaid Ferriter, who says it will not be taken seriously.

The leading 10 last week, before voting closed on Friday, were Bono, Michael Collins, James Connolly, Stephen Gately, John Hume, Phil Lynott, Pádraig Pearse, Mary Robinson, Adi Roche and Oscar Wilde. The final 10 will be announced on Ryan Tubridy's morning radio show tomorrow.

Wolfe Tone and Charles Stewart Parnell were overlooked, as were writers James Joyce and WB Yeats. Former taoisigh Seán Lemass, Eamon de Valera, Garret FitzGerald, Charles Haughey and Jack Lynch also failed to make the cut.

No sports figures featured on the early list, but Brian O'Driscoll, Sonia O'Sullivan, Pádraig Harrington and Roy Keane were previously longlisted in the top 40.

Now Ferriter says the list lacks any historical context and will not be taken seriously.

"It is going to be very hard to take this seriously for historians. When we see the likes of Stephen Gately on the list, which is no disrespect to him at all, we take a step back. I am all in favour of encouraging historical debate, but including people like Adi Roche who are still alive is not putting this is any kind of context, it is just making a contemporary list," says Ferriter.

According to Ferriter, the early shortlist is hugely hampered by contemporary obsessions. "Not enough time has elapsed to put them into any kind of proper historical context. It is now just some sort of list about contemporary preoccupations.

"People who were previously in the top 40 like Wolfe Tone are still being revaluated historically, when new archives and documents come to light, so evaluation is always ongoing long after death and this is a major difficulty. If almost half on the list are still alive, how can there honestly be a greatest Irish person ever picked out?"

Ferriter says that well-known RTE presenter Marian Finucane tried to compile a list of the greatest Irish women ever a number of years ago, which backfired due to a listeners' campaign.

"Nano Nagle, founder of the Presentation Sisters, was coming in first and next of all there was this campaign set up to get Michelle Smith instead. So a similar thing may happen with this, when a campaign is set up for reasons other than historical greatness.

"These things can lead to lively historical discussion but in this case when you see some of the individuals on the list I can't see how that would happen. I don't want to knock the list but there is a sense of perspective that is missing for all of this," says Ferriter.

An MRBI poll originally created a list of the top 40 Irish personalities. Online voting finished last Friday and the list will be whittled down to five. These will then be made into five separate documentaries and then the greatest Irish person of all time will be chosen by public vote once again. The winner will be announced on the Late Late Show in October.

quagmire is conspicuous by his absence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

No sh** sherlock, its a pop piece to fill air time.

They just didn't want to do any work on the show and this is the easiest way.

I'd love to know which college/university/U2 Fan club is responsible for Bono being on the shortlist.

Or maybe Bono spammed it himself :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Moi!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Iolar wrote: »
    Bosco!

Sneaky Snake trumps Bosco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

John O'Shea is on there !!!!!, the tea came out my nose, then the pic came up........ oh right ! Not the Man utd. Full back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Diarmaid Ferriter: 'hard to take seriously'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

How bout Fionn mac Cumhaill ,Cú Chulainn, Brian Brou, and all the rest of the lads round that time. And that priate queen off the coast of Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 countrymary

Feckin' hell! Ronan Keating, Louis Walsh and Stephen Gately are on the list of the best Irish people ever? Keating should have been banished from the land when he recorded Fairytale of New York, never mind being nominated for this. And Walsh, what was his contribution, except to create Boyzone! Poor Stephen Gately is only there because he's dead.
    Holy god! Where is Bobby Sands? And what the hell about Michael O'Leary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Moi!!!! :D

Thanks for clearing that up.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Nulty wrote: »
    How the f*ck did Gately get in there?

Steo was the greatest. He came from a poor area and died young.

May you rest in peace brother. We will never forget you. You were the greatest.

gurramok wrote: »

Ronan Keating who cannot sing is on the list along with Louis Walsh, are they having a giraffe??

Take that back man. Have a bit of respect.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

My vote for Irelands greatest person is Veronica Guerin

dvpower wrote: »

Stephen Gately. Is there anyone here that think he was Ireland's Greatest Person? Having him in there devalues the entire competition.

It doesn't devalue it at all.

Steo was a great singer, actor and now an author. He had many talents and his swift departure from our world brings great sadness to us all. Our country is in a worse position now. He was a talent.

Steo, this is to you brother. You are the greatest.

Stephen Gately and Ronan Keating on the list and no Luke Kelly!?

The world is ****ed

I too was shocked with the omission of Kelly. He had real talent.

I am slightly disappointed that I didn't make the top ten but Steo's inclusion certainly made up for it.

If keating wins, joke or otherwise i'l nail my dick to the Spire

All I can say is that I'm glad to hear it's still safely tucked into your pants.

:pac:

I don't know how to respond to this. Gately died young. That is true. He did something noteworthy before his death though. He wrote a children's book. Considering the amount of negative talk regarding priests and children of late, it was a welcome arrival and it brought such joy to our hearts.

I profited from the death of Marie. She meant so much to me that I felt I had to help others and now we have the chairty.

Please don't call me a plonker. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

Oscar Wilde, WB Yeats, James Connolly, P. Pearse (for his publication ''the murder machine'' alone) Michael Collins, G Boole, J M Plunkett, Wolfe tone, James Joyce, Ernest Shackleton, Bram Stoker, Brian Friel, Samuel Beckett, -(and also the guy who built the S Beckett bridge!)- JM Synge, Sir Francis Beaufort, Sean Clarach Mac Domhnaill.

Slightly depressing the title is ''Irelands greatest person'' when really ''Irelands
    greatest man'' would be more accurate seeing as most on the list are men..
    Mary Robinson, Queen Maeve, Constance Markiewicz, Dr. Dorothy Price, Grainne Mhaol, Frances and Anna Parnell, Lady Gregory Sinead O Connor, Hannah Sheehy-Skeffington, Ava Gore Booth... Peig Sayers!
    Mary Harney is a seriously uninspiring female idol for Irish Women today... :(

• Advertisement

bonerm wrote: »
    Sure didn't he increase the acceptance of gay people in the country by coming out of the closet (about 5 minutes before he was going to be outted anyway).

Have a bit of respect. Think before you write. It wasn't five minutes early. It was fifteen. He stumbled on his pair of pink high-heels and exited early. His early entrance meant it wasn't caught on camera. He later told me he lost £25,000 from OK magazine for the exclusive shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Steo was the greatest. He came from a poor area and died young.

May you rest in peace brother. We will never forget you. You were the greatest.

Steo says to stop trying to be Ronan, it's not even Shlightly funny anymore.;)

Take that back man. Have a bit of respect.

:cool:

Stop Trolling.

Ok. I just want to back up my brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Steo says to stop trying to be Ronan, it's not even Shlightly funny anymore.;)

I must have missed his funny post.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

WTF is Ronan Keating and Stephen Gately doing on that list? (Amongst others).

The two biggest chancers in Ireland, and that makes them great?

Ok Stephen hid in the closet for years and then came out as being gay and suddenly he's a marvellous man because he saved every homosexual in Ireland. What a laugh. But if thats what put him on the list, then why isn't David Norris on the list? Considering he was the man who fought hard to make homosexuality legal in Ireland, and won.

As for Ronan Keating, the only thing that makes him great is his bank balance. There's nothing else great about him at all. F**king W**ker he is, would sell his soul for a few quid.

In my opinion it should be Padraig Pearse. He fought and died for Ireland. Those other two just fought for their own self promotion and money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement