Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean Windows 7 Install - Seperate OS partition?

Options
  • 22-03-2010 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

I'm about to do a fresh/clean install of Windows 7 (from Vista) on my laptop and am wondering if it is advisable to install it in its own partition and keep the rest of the HDD space for my own programs and files or just have a single partition with everything on it?

I have heard lot's of conflicting advice on the topic both from various people and here on boards and was just wondering what your thoughts are. Maybe it's not as important his with Windows 7, I don't know.

It sounds like the only advantage is for any future OS installs where your own files will remain unaffected. There are hardly performance benefits, are there?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Performance wise, you should notice any issues not partitioning the drive. But, I find it handy to have a partition for files so that I can wipe the OS partition easily and do a reinstall of a new OS without having to worry about moving my files around.

That being said, I got a new laptop recently and any of the files that are on it are synced with an external drive I have, so I didn't bother partitioning the laptop drive. It can be a pain when you run out of space to install programs but have plenty of space on your file partition or vice versa with files. I know you can mess around with partition sizes but, imo, it's easier to just leave the HDD unpartitioned if you don't have to worry about backups or losing files when you wipe the OS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Main reason is that if you have all your files on one partition and no backup of user files if you have no choice but to reformat you are in rral trouble. With good backups the only real advantage is that it just less hastle to reinstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've been doing this for ages, just make sure the OS partition is more than big enough for the OS, it can come back to bite you if you make it just big enough for an install of the OS. Mine is 36gb and it has to get cleaned every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 whatahw

Thanks for the advice guys.

I think I'll probably just stick with a single partition and try and back up important stuff synced on an external drive. I don't plan on doing any OS reinstalls any time soon so I don't think it'd be worth my while having the extra partition. Thanks again the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

whatahw wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I think I'll probably just stick with a single partition and try and back up important stuff synced on an external drive. I don't plan on doing any OS reinstalls any time soon
    Neither was I the first 5 or 6 times. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement