Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newsgroups ...

• 22-03-2010 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    I was wondering how sites such as giganews are legal ??

aren't they hosting music films games etc ?? all copyrighted material ??

a mate of mine uses them and gets anything he wants ... it's not p2p either , so it seems he is downloading it from their servers ???

so how come they aren't shut down ? ... there are many newsgroup providers aswell ...

how do they actually work ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Djokovic wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was wondering how sites such as giganews are legal ??

aren't they hosting music films games etc ?? all copyrighted material ??

a mate of mine uses them and gets anything he wants ... it's not p2p either , so it seems he is downloading it from their servers ???

so how come they aren't shut down ? ... there are many newsgroup providers aswell ...

how do they actually work ?
    They are illegal but my guess is that once one gets shut down that the just open up under a new guise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Djokovic

Really ?? giganews has been around for years though ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I think the guy who replied is confused between torrent sites and newsgroups. I never heard of Giganews being "illegal".

I'm sure they'd have something to say on the matter if they saw it posted that they were.

Of course, I might be completely wrong. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

How do newsgroups differ from torrents or rapidshare etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Newsgroups, when I used them, were places that you could have discussions about technology, computer programming, buy and sell items, all sorts of thing basically.

You don't really do that on a torrent site, do you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Usenet is definitely not illegal. Nor is Bittorent for that matter. But like everything they have their legit and not so legit uses. I mean, newsgroups are basically early internet versions of discussion forums like this one, except they evolved to distribute binary content as well as text.

Usenet providers like Giganews, Easynews, etc have been around for years and are not illegal either. Usenet is a distributed network of computers. There is no central location, which is how theses providers are able to wring their hands and say they don't support illegal file sharing.

Advertisement