Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone link me to the LC points statistics, e.g. what % of people got 400+ marks

Options
  • 22-03-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Edit: I found it, nevermind.

It's fcking stupid that you can't delete posts on this forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Great that you found it. Now share it with the rest of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Yes you can. You didn't look for the delete button hard enough.

You needn't have deleted what was in your post. You definitely needn't have deleted what was in your post and then replaced it with curses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are the stats based on everyone who sat the Leaving or just those who applied to the CAO?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Cellar_Door

spurious wrote: »
    Are the stats based on everyone who sat the Leaving or just those who applied to the CAO?

Hmm, that's a good question. Does anyone know?

Also, what's does "culminative figures" mean?

http://www2.cao.ie/app_scoring/points_stats/LC04PTS.pdf

I got a bit over 450 points, which is 11% or 28%. I don't know the context of these stats, can anyone help?

• Advertisement

Mayoegian wrote: »
    Yes you can. You didn't look for the delete button hard enough.

You needn't have deleted what was in your post. You definitely needn't have deleted what was in your post and then replaced it with curses.

After a certain amount of time, it appears the delete option is no longer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

I got a bit over 450 points, which is 11% or 28%. I don't know the context of these stats, can anyone help?

11% of students scored in the same points bracket as you, 28% scored in that bracket or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

450 is 9% and 16.9%. the percentages you quote are for in excess of 400 so you were in the top 16.9% of leaving certs.

pathway33 wrote: »
    450 is 9% and 16.9%. the percentages you quote are for in excess of 400 so you were in the top 16.9% of leaving certs.

Woops, misread it.

Ok, I got 465 points. So 9% got the same as me, and it's in the top 16%?

If writing a CV, would it be 465 points, top 16%. (I'd prefer to write top 9%!)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Tbh, I can't imagine why you would write that at all.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone quote their CAO points on a CV, and I've seen a fair few of them, let alone the percentage ranking.

I think the immediate impression you would give is "big-headed".

Just give your subjects and grades, anyone who is in a position to be looking at CVs won't need decent results flagged up for them.

It's not just this forum, it's general boards policy ... you can edit / delete for a certain amount of time and that's it. Otherwise, someone could (in some cases) come back to the thread a week later and change what they had written to make those responding look like right eejits, and they might have forgotten about the thread and never notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Woops, misread it.

Ok, I got 465 points. So 9% got the same as me, and it's in the top 16%?

with 465 you could be in the top 15%. Like someone with 500 is in the top 7.9%.

There's a 9% difference between 450 and 500.

So if 9% is 50 points you can estimate that .9% is 5 points

You got 15 points in excess of 450 so you can estimate you are in the top (16.9 - (0.9 * 3)) = 16.9 - 2.7 = 14.2%

Now that isn't entirely accurate because there would be more people in the 450 - 465 category than 485 - 500 because you can see the trend as the points increase.

You should compare to other years and see if you would have been placed higher with 465 points. To say you were in the top 15% is excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

spurious wrote: »

I had a look.
    57,455 candidates got LC results that year, whereas those figures are based on 54,196, so it must not include those who did not apply for anything after the standard Leaving Cert.. Neither does it seem to include LCA candidates, or people who sat no exam at all.

Advertisement