Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

See your wrong again.

Ordinary post is actually 95 euro.

In the winter ordinary post averages at 12 working days.

No you are making up your own processing, the 9 euro goes to An Post. That is a simple fact no matter how you dress it up or wording you use.

You're actually the one who is wrong. The other poster has quoted from their website that the premium paid goes towards the processing of the passport. And, as vanillavanilla quite rightly points out, Irish post is generally next day delivery anyway.
    It looks like someone needs to cop on a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

:cool:
    This is what they say on anpost.ie:

"... your application which we will deliver to the passport office for priority handling"

So I am not wrong! That's the whole point of Passport Express.

I can tell you now that the 9 goes to an post and 80 to the Passport Service.

Rothmans wrote: »
    You're actually the one who is wrong. The other poster has quoted from their website that the premium paid goes towards the processing of the passport. And, as vanillavanilla quite rightly points out, Irish post is generally next day delivery anyway.
    It looks like someone needs to cop on a bit.

Ok don't believe me if you don't want. If you want the real truth do an FOI request and then send me a PM to say sorry;)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

Yes, the post office takes 9eur to deliver your passport application for priority processing.

So, you pay extra for passport express. :rolleyes:

You're really just splitting hairs with that one.
    We're not discussing which public service receives the money. That's an artificial distinction anyway, as the fee all goes to the public purse in the end.The point that is being made is that a premium is paid for a (supposedly) premium service.

• Advertisement

I never disputed who got the 9eur by the way. That's not the issue.

Passport express offers a 10 day turnaround service and you pay 9 for it.

Does that not justify the other poster's statement "you pay extra for it"?

I never disputed who got the 9eur by the way. That's not the issue.

Passport express offers a 10 day turnaround service and you pay 9 for it.

Does that not justify the other poster's statement "you pay extra for it"?

But you don't pay extra, you pay less.

Show me a cheaper way to get an adult passport:D

Apply in the office - 95
    Ordinary Post - 95

Only in Ireland is the slower service more expensive:rolleyes:

Apply in the office - 95
    Ordinary Post - 95

Fair enough :D

Apply in the office - 95
    Ordinary Post - 95

Does it not cost €80 at the public counter?

But yes, you're right certainly that its absurd the the standard postal service is more expensive than the express service!!!

But yes, you're right certainly that its absurd the the standard postal service is more expensive than the express service!!!

No 95.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

The passport office prefers people to use the express (swift post - it used to be called?) service as it's less time consuming for them to process. This results in incentives to get you to use the express service.

Express envelops can be scanned via the barcode which matches your receipt so they are easily tracked until your details are recorded on the system - this reduces time spent chasing after urgent applications which are somewhere in the general post also waiting to be recorded.

There are other reasons too such as the applications are usually checked at the post office counter to ensure all is filled in or attached again reducing queries. I worked there a few years ago and you'd have people sending in birthcerts in separate envelopes to their applications via the normal post as an example of what you could expect to find. Generally the express applications had less mistakes or missing docs.

Re the helpline - that was a problem when I was there too. Mostly due to not enough staff being assigned. The section always had a full amount of staff - if some one was on leave for a day or was expectantly ill they were replaced by a person in another part of the office straight away. It basically came down to not enough staff to begin with on the phones and also not having a track and trace system on line to reduce the need for calls.

I haven't worked there in a line time and it was automated more since I left but I'd say the reasons are the same as then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

should have received my passport by post yesterday! So much for paying that €9 express charge...wonder if I could get my money back?

Just following up my story:
    I emailed yesterday and the day before and got a reply yesterday telling me an officer would process my application yesterday. Bear in mind that this was already day 11 and it hadn't even processed yet! I got it this morning but I wouldn't have had I not tried to contact the office.

My advice is to take the "Ten Day Turnaround" with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 xxbabydollxx

Hi Guys - just giving you an update:

I sent my application by PP Express on the 19/07/12. They guarantee 10 working day turnaround from the day they receive it. So with postage on either side it should take 12 days...
    I am travelling on 8th Aug early morning so I was v worried as could not get a reply to my email and the phone was always too busy to accept calls. Tracker says its registered and issue date is 02/08/12.
    So yesterday at 9am exactly I called and got straight through - they said it was approved and I explained I am travelling Tuesday(I lie) so I need it Fri latest. She said she would sort it for me and have it printed that day and collect it tomorrow(thurs).
    They then called me to tell me it was actually printed that afternoon and to ask me if I wanted to collect or if they would post it. Of course I missed the call and when I rang this am at 9am(got straight through) they said it was posted yesterday by express post(and gave me tracking no) so it should have been delivered to my house today - latest tomorrow.
    So that makes it 9 wkng days for my Passport - I'm surprised!
    Will let you know if I actually do receive it but I just thought i'd share my positive experience! :D

Just following up my story:
    I emailed yesterday and the day before and got a reply yesterday telling me an officer would process my application yesterday. Bear in mind that this was already day 11 and it hadn't even processed yet! I got it this morning but I wouldn't have had I not tried to contact the office.

My advice is to take the "Ten Day Turnaround" with a pinch of salt.

This worries me because I need it for the weekend. It was meant to be delivered yesterday and still no sign of it today! What exactly is that €9 used for!? They're not carrying out their service of delivering the passport in 10 working days. I emailed them earlier but still no reply. If I haven't received it tomorrow, sh*t will literally hit the fan when they have to deal with me :mad:

nbar12 wrote: »
    [/B]

This worries me because I need it for the weekend. It was meant to be delivered yesterday and still no sign of it today! What exactly is that €9 used for!? They're not carrying out their service of delivering the passport in 10 working days. I emailed them earlier but still no reply. If I haven't received it tomorrow, sh*t will literally hit the fan when they have to deal with me :mad:

You might have to call into them. Even if they post it now you might not get it tomorrow

You might have to call into them. Even if they post it now you might not get it tomorrow

where is the passport office!? or do I call into the post office I dropped it in to!? When I search the tracking order number I have on my receipt it says it doesn't even recognise this number which is strange! They fcukin better have posted it!! ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh why can't they just keep their word and deliver the passport on time!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Apply in January and no one would have problems. Or easier still check you have a passport in date before booking flights.

Apply in January and no one would have problems. Or easier still check you have a passport in date before booking flights.

My passport was still in date but it was damaged and had to be replaced <mod snip>

My passport was still in date but it was damaged and had to be replaced <mod snip>

Well then check you have a valid passport <mod snip>

• Advertisement

where is the passport office!? or do I call into the post office I dropped it in to!? When I search the tracking order number I have on my receipt it says it doesn't even recognise this number which is strange! They fcukin better have posted it!! ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh why can't they just keep their word and deliver the passport on time!!!!

nbar my tracking number for postage was not recognised last night because it just wasn't on the post office system yet, but I had the passport this morning .

Sometimes people have to apply for passports between may-aug :rolleyes:. Why do some posters on here take such exception to that? In my case, my passport expired and not having any plans to go anywhere, and not having spare cash to just renew without needing it in near future, I left it. Then I got a chance to go somewhere with family and we scraped the cash together to go and so I had to renew. Like I said on here before, everyone's story is different so remarks like "apply in January" are not fair I think. Everyone job has high seasons where you are extra busy. Fact of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think it is fair to check you have a valid passport before booking holidays/flights.

I think it is fair to check you have a valid passport before booking holidays/flights.

to be honest my passport was in date and there was literally a hairline crack in the passport. I had already flown with it before with this crack until a lovely lady from aer lingus didn't let me travel with it so enough is enough I thought I may as well get it replaced..."sure i'll have it back in 2 weeks, it'll be graaaaaand"...how wrong was I

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Simple, 5 yrs as she is under 18. You were charged the wrong amount by an post and have to go back to them.

She should do nothing as she is under 18 and you are the guardian who applied on her behalf.

UPDATE: Recieved €53.50 from Passport office yesterday after made a mistake for applying a 10 year Passport for my 17 years old daughter, she got 5 year passport instead last Friday. Refunded yesterday, That was quick.

UPDATE: Recieved €53.50 from Passport office yesterday after made a mistake for applying a 10 year Passport for my 17 years old daughter, she got 5 year passport instead last Friday. Refunded yesterday, That was quick.

See i know things;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Someone I know applied for their passport about 3 weeks ago and requested the express post for extra cost, and they still havent received it. The website tracker just says "passport printed".
    If they dont get their passport by this friday they wont be able to go on a trip next month as they also have to apply for a visa. Cant get any response via phone or anything else?
    Think it would just be best to drive up to Dublin and talk to them yourself? The passport office must really sit on their arse all day and do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Someone I know applied for their passport about 3 weeks ago and requested the express post for extra cost, and they still havent received it. The website tracker just says "passport printed".
    If they dont get their passport by this friday they wont be able to go on a trip next month as they also have to apply for a visa. Cant get any response via phone or anything else?
    Think it would just be best to drive up to Dublin and talk to them yourself?

Email them. if it says that it is printed there is no reason it has not been sent out. Check the tracker number from the post office.
    The passport office must really sit on their arse all day and do nothing.

They did enough to print it in the required time.

Stupid comment

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Yes thats the reason that people rarely get to leave Ireland - nobody in the country can get a passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

a) Passport Express is the cheapest way to get a passport

b) I can assure you that they really don't sit on their arses all day, Its the busiest place I've ever worked.

c) The best way to get a response is to send an email to customer care via the contact form on the website, that way they won't have to stay on hold and will be responded to as quickly as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Cornblakes6

Hey guys. So I have a crazy and complicated predicament. Hopefully someone can offer some insight.

I am an American student whose Irish citizenship is derived from my grandfather. I am studying abroad in London for the upcoming fall semester. I already have an American passport, so entering the country will not be a problem. However, I am going to have an internship while I am studying as well. I wanted to use my Irish passport rather than a Visa (which are very expensive) as my documentation that would allow me to work abroad.

I applied for my first Irish passport back in June, but because of some missing documents (there sure is a lot required), my application didn't get sent out until July. On 03/08, my application was received and registered. The website says the issue date is 20/08.

I am leaving the states on September 4. Is there any chance in hell that I am going to get my passport sent back before this date? It will have been about a total of 7 weeks since the Dublin office should have had all of my documentation.

Alternatively, If I don't have my passport in time, is there anyway that I could enter London with my US passport and be able to work once I receive my Irish Passport? And if anyone knows a good way to contact the passport office in Dublin for an American, that'd be great. I've emailed them but no luck. Am willing to call.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement