Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

My friend is travelling from England to Ireland next week.

He's Irish. His passport is expired, but he has an Irish driver's license.

Flying with Ryanair.

Does he need a passport to fly?

Is it possible to check in online or otherwise prior to the flight without the passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭bazingaboom

yes he needs his passoprt to fly with Ryanair. Looks like he will have to try and get a passport pronto or make alternative arrangments to get there

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Sometimes they don't check the expiry date carefully so he might get lucky especially if he looks irish (just my opinion) and the expiry date was very recent. This is what happened to my sister a few years ago coming back from Spain I think on Ryanair.

Mrblack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You don't need a passport on the ferry. Maybe not on Aer Lingus / CityJet / BA either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

mrblack wrote: »
    Sometimes they don't check the expiry date carefully so he might get lucky especially if he looks irish (just my opinion) and the expiry date was very recent. This is what happened to my sister a few years ago coming back from Spain I think on Ryanair.

Mrblack

Do you have to input the passport expiry date? If you do, then their website will presumably reject it. And putting in a false expiry date is not advisable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

My dh is working in canada until November. We are due to travel to Disney paris the week he comes home with our 2 kids. I've just realized that one childs passport is expired & the baby doesnt have one. Does my husband need to sign the application forms or how do i get them their passports with him being overseas? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Post him the forms to sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

I thought of this but he is working in the oil fields & can be moved from camp to camp so i could post them but he could be moved somewhere else. He is 50 miles from the nearest town at the moment so no internet or scanners etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

WhiteTiger wrote: »
    My dh is working in canada until November. We are due to travel to Disney paris the week he comes home with our 2 kids. I've just realized that one childs passport is expired & the baby doesnt have one. Does my husband need to sign the application forms or how do i get them their passports with him being overseas? Thanks

This might be worth considering,
    If you are going to know where he is based for a certain few days, send the forms by UPS courier service. I have used them several times in the past to get paperwork to people within 48 hours and they always got there on time. Give their Irish office a call and see can the delivery person, when they deliver the package, wait the few minutes while he signs the forms and sends them straight back with the driver. ( I would send blank forms to be signed). It might cost you a couple of hundred euro, and unless the passport office can help you out you may have no other option.
    Have you tried to contact the passport office in Molesworth St to explain the situation, I am sure there would be some exceptions made,( but then maybe not).
    Best of luck.

Edit: Passports for Children info...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/passports_for_children.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

If you do this, make sure a doctor signs it, they must also be contactable. Plus, contact the office and make them aware of this as the consulate/embassy in Canada will need to contact the witness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ydnas

Help!!! my son is due to travel to lanzorote tomorrow but his passport is damaged. The cover and the ID page have been torn off but the ID page is perfect. It is with a holiday company. he could claim on issurance as sick or go the airport and try to fly. What do we do.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

ydnas wrote: »
    Help!!! my son is due to travel to lanzorote tomorrow but his passport is damaged. The cover and the ID page have been torn off but the ID page is perfect.
    it wont be accepted.

It is with a holiday company.
    makes no difference

he could claim on issurance as sick
    thats fraud and is completely illegal.
    or go the airport and try to fly.
    you can try but they wont accept it
    What do we do.?
    not much you can do, dont think you can get an emergency passport on a sunday.
    he wont be travelling on that passport

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

Anybody know when the tracking states app cannot be processed, when I receive and send it in again do I have to pay postage fees(again).

oorrccaa wrote: »
    Anybody know when the tracking states app cannot be processed, when I receive and send it in again do I have to pay postage fees(again).

You'll be sent a freepost envelope with the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

mmcn90 wrote: »
    oorrccaa wrote: »

You'll be sent a freepost envelope with the letter.

Thanks a million.

Any idea why its been sent back ? I'll prob find out in the morning.

I lost my previous passport and I was suppose to send another form of ID. Which I don't have. So maybe it's that. Don't know what I'll have to do now.

It will explain all in the letter. For a lost passport you need photo id and two proofs of address. Anyway just wait until the letter comes and if you have any other questions just ask here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

On a 10 day express service I have a 'received date' of 31st of July and an 'Issue Date' on the website of '14th Aug' , the application received status has never moved and I am conscious that I am up to Day 14 without any change in status.

Is this normal ? Unfortunately there's no possibility of calling anyone to find out whether there is a problem or not.

Awful service, it's poor that there is no way to find out what's happening with a passport which is 4 days beyond it's quoted delivery date. The contact us via email is worthless as they do not respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I am pie wrote: »
    On a 10 day express service I have a 'received date' of 31st of July and an 'Issue Date' on the website of '14th Aug' , the application received status has never moved and I am conscious that I am up to Day 14 without any change in status.

Is this normal ? Unfortunately there's no possibility of calling anyone to find out whether there is a problem or not.

Awful service, it's poor that there is no way to find out what's happening with a passport which is 4 days beyond it's quoted delivery date. The contact us via email is worthless as they do not respond.

The status on the online tracker could have registered on it for a number of days but once it passes the checking stage it will be done in no time.

Priority will be given to the applications with the nearest issue date to try get them out as close to the date as possible.

The express service is clearly behind and the dfa.ie website should have a notice up stating that. It would free up lines for people who are trying to contact them if better info was available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I'm in the same situation with regards to Passport Express. Issue date was last Wednesday (10 working days) - still at the registered state on the 13th working day. No way of calling and no response to e-mail.

Did anyone receive a passport recently - how many working days did it take?

Also, any point going to the passport office for more information?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunshimmer

I had similar dates (received 1st Aug, Issue 15th Aug) and as I'm due to travel at the end of the month, I emailed the passport office to tell them this. I received a same-day response. I sent a second email last Friday and again received a same-day response. This morning a nice lady in the Passport Office called to tell me I should receive my passport in the next couple of days.
    Also have you tried calling at 9am....I think one poster mentioned this as a good time to call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

sunshimmer wrote: »
    I had similar dates (received 1st Aug, Issue 15th Aug) and as I'm due to travel at the end of the month, I emailed the passport office to tell them this. I received a same-day response. I sent a second email last Friday and again received a same-day response. This morning a nice lady in the Passport Office called to tell me I should receive my passport in the next couple of days.
    Also have you tried calling at 9am....I think one poster mentioned this as a good time to call.

Well, I'm not due to travel mid Sept so I won't panic just yet, but if i haven't heard anything by the end of this week I'll get on the phone at 9am. I'd sent an email in already asking for an updated issue date.

I'm sure they're busy but if they were honest on the website and published the real turnaround time I'm sure it would help address the frustration that is out there.

Well, I'm not due to travel mid Sept so I won't panic just yet, but if i haven't heard anything by the end of this week I'll get on the phone at 9am. I'd sent an email in already asking for an updated issue date.

I'm sure they're busy but if they were honest on the website and published the real turnaround time I'm sure it would help address the frustration that is out there.

You have loads of time if its September, they wouldn't even do anything to your application because you aren't travelling for so long. They will proccess it with probably a 4-5 day delay. Don't waste your time ringing, they will just log it

They had the website updated earlier in the summer when it was delayed then when things were sorted they rightly took it down. No reason why they don't just stick it back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnb154

Hi

I recently tried renewing my passport and used the express service because it was supposed to be back within 10 working days, that was over 2 weeks ago (august 2nd), today i finally got through to the passport office and was told it will "probably" be back to me by the end of the week.

But I was expecting it within 10 working days im going away soon and am in the middle of a grant application for college which requires a copy of my passport. Am I entitled to a refund and how do i go about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You may be entitled to a refund however I suspect it will only apply to the €9 Passport Express fee. I doubt you'll receive any refund of the €80 standard Passport fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnb154

You may be entitled to a refund however I suspect it will only apply to the €9 Passport Express fee. I doubt you'll receive any refund of the €80 standard Passport fee.

awh really?.. iv been in a bad mood over this was determined to get all my money back out of them haha... hardly seems worth it now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunshimmer

When I applied they had a notice up saying there was a delay and it would be fifteen working days..that was pretty much the same time as you. I think they've since taken it down but if you account for the August bank holiday, that would make sense.

I suspect the system 'issue' date is automatically calculated to add about 10 working days and probably doesn't account for these delays.
    You'll be fine though..I've heard quite a few stories and they seem very good at making sure people are sorted for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Hi there

My mum has had an accident in France and will be there for the next 6-8 weeks, my dad will stay with her until the third of Sept and the has to come home for work, so I'll be heading over then.

I have a valid passport but my son that will be travelling with me doesn't.
    How do I go about getting his sorted??

Thanks!!

PinkFly wrote: »
    Hi there

My mum has had an accident in France and will be there for the next 6-8 weeks, my dad will stay with her until the third of Sept and the has to come home for work, so I'll be heading over then.

I have a valid passport but my son that will be travelling with me doesn't.
    How do I go about getting his sorted??

Thanks!!

Get your application in ASAP is the best thing to do and get it onto the system.

When do you intend to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

hopefully the 3rd of September? Just looking on their website, can I go up to the office with the application and come back three days later for it??

• Advertisement

PinkFly wrote: »
    hopefully the 3rd of September? Just looking on their website, can I go up to the office with the application and come back three days later for it??

Go in with the application, everything that is needed and proof of travel. you can get it in 3 days but you will have to pay an additional fee

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement