Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Hi Fries with That. Perhaps you would kindly clarify if your daughter was able to travel without an Emergency Travel Cert which is issued by the Embassy/Consulate and was allowed to travel based on the documents you mentioned including the Police Statement. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gg1987

all sorted, the lady said i can come collect in on thurs! thanks a million for the advice ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

gg1987 wrote: »
    all sorted, the lady said i can come collect in on thurs! thanks a million for the advice ;-)

Good to hear!! Enjoy your trip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Daza777

Irish Passport

Status: Application No. ***********. Received on 25/07/2012 and has been registered.

Issue Date: 01/08/2012
    Website Last Updated: 03/09/2012 at 13:45

The details showing on the tracking website. I fly on holidays on the 14Sept. Any reason why its taking so long and any suggestions what to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Daza777 wrote: »
    Irish Passport

Status: Application No. ***********. Received on 25/07/2012 and has been registered.

Issue Date: 01/08/2012
    Website Last Updated: 03/09/2012 at 13:45

The details showing on the tracking website. I fly on holidays on the 14Sept. Any reason why its taking so long and any suggestions what to do?

Sent but ordinary post which can take 6 to 8 weeks in the months march to sept............its written IN BOLD on the front of the form.

• Advertisement

do you think it will be here by the 14th? if i go to the passport office can i spped it up?

do you think it will be here by the 14th? if i go to the passport office can i spped it up?

Might not be so i would go in, 1st floor.

what do you mean go into the first floor?

what do you mean go into the first floor?

When you go into the office in molesworth st customer care is on the 1st floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

I made a hash of my passport application basically. Sent it by regular post to the passport express office. I know! :p

If I go to the passport office can they speed up the process etc as I'm flying out on the 18th. Has anybody else had to do this and give me an idea of how long it takes.

Thanks
    p.s. mods can move if im in the wrong forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Sent my application via Passport Express on Aug 20th, checked online today and status was 'Passport Printed'. I'm guessing I should get it soon, all going well? Flying out on Sept 13th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

You may have to pay a fee but it looks like they can fast track your passport.

(take from the Department of Foreign Affairs website)

Q. Is it possible to fast-track a passport application?

A. Passport applications lodged in Ireland can now be prioritised on the basis of travel dates. Applicants should make contact with the Passport Service and produce proof of travel to avail of this service. An additional fee may apply. It should be noted that except in the case of travel in respect of urgent humanitarian needs, the fastest time applications can be processed is currently three working days.

I would really, really recommend getting in touch with them as soon as possible though. They are *not* the best organised office of people in the whole world by a long shot so don't leave things too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Travel forum

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Anyone know why do hotels on the continent take your passport at check in, while not in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I stayed in a hotel in Belfast and they kept it for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Squ wrote: »
    Anyone know why do hotels on the continent take your passport at check in, while not in Ireland?

"the continent"...

The seventies called, they want their expression back.

Passports - probably something to do with local laws, Czech hotels used to have two tier pricing and report each stay to the police. Italy does the same I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It was also a practice that developed to force louts pay for any damage.. pay up or no passports ! quite effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whenever

Because the local gendarme come around each night and collect all the registration slips - at least to the best of my knowledge and that's based on watching The Day of The Jackal !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,450 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's to maintain a load of civil servants or cops entering data into a computer that nobody needs. It's just a way of keeping plenty of people on the payroll, similar to the system in the old Soviet Union (USSR) where you had to deal with three different people to buy something in a shop.

In hotels in Italy the receptionist waits until it's quiet and he/she calls in a few passports at a time, that's how I reckon it works anyway because they usually give you back the passport when you come back to the hotel after doing your first walkabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Some countrys require it by law for immigration purposes, our country doesn't simple

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

MadsL wrote: »
    Probably something to do with local laws, Italy does the same I think.
    You actually have no idea, do you? Just saw an opportunity to be smart?

You may have to pay a fee but it looks like they can fast track your passport.

(take from the Department of Foreign Affairs website)

Q. Is it possible to fast-track a passport application?

A. Passport applications lodged in Ireland can now be prioritised on the basis of travel dates. Applicants should make contact with the Passport Service and produce proof of travel to avail of this service. An additional fee may apply. It should be noted that except in the case of travel in respect of urgent humanitarian needs, the fastest time applications can be processed is currently three working days.

I would really, really recommend getting in touch with them as soon as possible though. They are *not* the best organised office of people in the whole world by a long shot so don't leave things too late.

thanks for that. went up from waterford to dublin today. I showed proof of travel and the woman had to speak to her supervisor but she said it would be bumped up the queue. didnt have to pay a fee even though i offered. just keep an eye out now. travelling the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You actually have no idea, do you? Just saw an opportunity to be smart?

Hey, opportunities to be smart shouldn't be squandered.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭HankScorpio1985

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice for a problem I may have. I am based in Leeds and I plan on travelling back to Dublin for the All Ireland final on Sunday the 23rd of September. However, the problem I have is that I sent off my passport to an embassy for a visa application and I am afraid it won't be back in time for a flight on the weekend of the match. Worst case scenario it doesn't come back in time I have thought about

Flying from Leeds to Belfast and getting the bus down to Dublin. Surely as it is an internal flight there is no official need for a passport as long as I have another form of id. Is this correct or is it wishful thinking?

Getting the bus from Leeds to Dublin via Holyhead. I wasn't sure if your passport was checked on the ferry though. Does anybody know?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

hey,is the application barcode number the same number as the tracking application number???anyone,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice for a problem I may have. I am based in Leeds and I plan on travelling back to Dublin for the All Ireland final on Sunday the 23rd of September. However, the problem I have is that I sent off my passport to an embassy for a visa application and I am afraid it won't be back in time for a flight on the weekend of the match. Worst case scenario it doesn't come back in time I have thought about

Flying from Leeds to Belfast and getting the bus down to Dublin. Surely as it is an internal flight there is no official need for a passport as long as I have another form of id. Is this correct or is it wishful thinking?

Getting the bus from Leeds to Dublin via Holyhead. I wasn't sure if your passport was checked on the ferry though. Does anybody know?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Presume you're Irish? Just book with Aer Lingus or anyone apart from Ryanair and you won't need a passport. As long as you have some photographic ID for the airlines (useful also for "passport" control at Dublin Airport, but not strictly speaking required) you should be fine, that would include work ID, drivers licence etc.

zzfh wrote: »
    hey,is the application barcode number the same number as the tracking application number???anyone,thanks

yep it is. just type it into the website part for tracking and it will tell you the stage your passport application is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

yea i thought so,i sent it away it says recieved 4/7 and registered....issue date 8/8,and still havent heard anything.this is week 9 now,cant get through on the phone or cant get reply by e mail.i need it for the 29th of this month at the latest,is it too early to be going up to the offices or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭HankScorpio1985

Presume you're Irish? Just book with Aer Lingus or anyone apart from Ryanair and you won't need a passport. As long as you have some photographic ID for the airlines (useful also for "passport" control at Dublin Airport, but not strictly speaking required) you should be fine, that would include work ID, drivers licence etc.

Thanks for your help. Ya I am Irish. Ya I figured that about other airlines but I didn't think I'd be able to get back into the UK afterwards. I thought I would have to show it to UK customs after landing. Also, my girlfriend who is from the UK is coming with me and she is in the same position as me of maybe having no passport. Do you think the other two options are viable or is there any other option just in case?

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

Fizman wrote: »
    Sent my application via Passport Express on Aug 20th, checked online today and status was 'Passport Printed'. I'm guessing I should get it soon, all going well? Flying out on Sept 13th.

I sent mine in by Passport Express and it stayed in Passport Printed mode over the weekend, changed to Posted yesterday, and got it today. They send it by Express Post, so there will be a tracking number, but no signature is required on delivery.

On a side note, I just wanted heap a small bit of praise on the folks in the Passport Office in Cork. Send off the application & docs about 14 working days ago, and got a phone call @ 6:30 on the 10th working day - I'd forgotten to include my own passport (the new one was for my young son). I was able to give the number of my own passport over the phone, and the nice lady said "Thats all we need - thanks"

Unusual efficiency, but credit where credit is due :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement