Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Wondering could someone help?

My passport is valid until January 2013, but I was offered a job where the company need me to travel to the States, and they needed me to renew my passport.

Now, I sent it off Passport Express but I have since been told I may need the passport sooner, is there anyway to get it processed quicker now that it has been posted off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Wondering could someone help?

My passport is valid until January 2013, but I was offered a job where the company need me to travel to the States, and they needed me to renew my passport.

Now, I sent it off Passport Express but I have since been told I may need the passport sooner, is there anyway to get it processed quicker now that it has been posted off?

Get a letter of the company on headed paper explaining the situation, contact customer care. If they can expidite it, they will. Provided you can give them the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Get a letter of the company on headed paper explaining the situation, contact customer care. If they can expidite it, they will. Provided you can give them the letter.

Thanks mmcn90, all is not lost yet, I thought once it was sent express that it was in the system and might be more difficult to get it rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭s.a.man

Anyone have any related issues and know how I can track the status of my passport application, please help me out! :) Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Thanks for your help. Ya I am Irish. Ya I figured that about other airlines but I didn't think I'd be able to get back into the UK afterwards. I thought I would have to show it to UK customs after landing. Also, my girlfriend who is from the UK is coming with me and she is in the same position as me of maybe having no passport. Do you think the other two options are viable or is there any other option just in case?

Thanks again

There's a common travel area between the UK and Ireland, passports are not required as a condition of entry from one country to the other.

You'll have no problem getting into the UK afterwards but do have some ID on you, the last few times I've flown into Manchester and Birmingham there was no police checks so there was no-one to show any ID to at all.

Seriously you're over-thinking this. Just book with someone other than Ryanair and you'll be absolutley fine.

You both have some sort of photo ID i'm presuming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

s.a.man wrote: »
    Anyone have any related issues and know how I can track the status of my passport application, please help me out! :) Thank you

It wasn't working earlier on but it is now so try again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Mine arrived today. :)

11 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

anyone?i sent mine away 9 weeks ago now,still says just registered.issue date says 8/8/12.cant get through on phone or no reply from e mail.i need it for 28th sept..is it too early to go up or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Squ wrote: »
    Anyone know why do hotels on the continent take your passport at check in, while not in Ireland?

It's actually unlawful. As citizens of the EU, we have the right of entry to and residence in another EU country for up to three months without any conditions or formalities other than the condition to hold a valid passport or National ID Card. This business of the local Spanish (or other) police requiring the mandatory registration of passport details from hotel's guests as a condition of staying locally is incompatible with European Union law.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

My wife has applied for a new passport recently.The passport is at the printed stage so should be here in plenty of time.We are travelling to the U.S. in 2 weeks.

The problem she may have is this-We got married in Dec. and she wanted to put her own maiden name and my surname name on it.She included our marriage cert. with the application but she is pretty certain that she signed it with just her own maiden name(force of habbit i suppose)

The airline ticket is booked with both surnames on it which will match the name on the passport but not the signature.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭cabaret

Does anyone know if I can get an emergency passport in one day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

So I plan to go to Germany for a weekend about a month before my passport is due to expire. Anyone know if this will cause any problems ? Do I need to replace it before I go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

So I plan to go to Germany for a weekend about a month before my passport is due to expire. Anyone know if this will cause any problems ? Do I need to replace it before I go ?
    No as long as it's valid on the day of travel you won't have a problem in the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

veetwin wrote: »
    No as long as it's valid on the day of travel you won't have a problem in the EU.
    Cool thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Carvair

coylemj wrote: »
    It's to maintain a load of civil servants or cops entering data into a computer that nobody needs. It's just a way of keeping plenty of people on the payroll, similar to the system in the old Soviet Union (USSR) where you had to deal with three different people to buy something in a shop.

In hotels in Italy the receptionist waits until it's quiet and he/she calls in a few passports at a time, that's how I reckon it works anyway because they usually give you back the passport when you come back to the hotel after doing your first walkabout.

You quite obviously have not got a clue as to why this practice is in force, and a cheap shot at "civil servants or cops" in other countries makes you look silly

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Carvair

It's actually unlawful. As citizens of the EU, we have the right of entry to and residence in another EU country for up to three months without any conditions or formalities other than the condition to hold a valid passport or National ID Card. This business of the local Spanish (or other) police requiring the mandatory registration of passport details from hotel's guests as a condition of staying locally is incompatible with European Union law.

You reply is incorrect ... How is a hotel anywhere in Europe to know who is or who is not a European citizen unless they see your passport or travel document.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The practice in most countries is to log the names, dates of birth and passport/ID card details which are forwarded to the police daily. In most places they only need your passport for a few minutes to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

watermark wrote: »
    thanks for that. went up from waterford to dublin today. I showed proof of travel and the woman had to speak to her supervisor but she said it would be bumped up the queue. didnt have to pay a fee even though i offered. just keep an eye out now. travelling the 18th.

just spoke on the phone with dublin office this morning as status of application was unchanged. my optimism was shattered. woman said that there was a note on my passport that i showed proof of travel but this guarantees nothing. she added that i rang again and would be able to collect next monday (day before travelling) if the application was ok i.e. it has to be checked first. she kept speaking over me which was very frustrating. stomach in knots for the week now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

watermark wrote: »
    just spoke on the phone with dublin office this morning as status of application was unchanged. my optimism was shattered. woman said that there was a note on my passport that i showed proof of travel but this guarantees nothing. she added that i rang again and would be able to collect next monday (day before travelling) if the application was ok i.e. it has to be checked first. she kept speaking over me which was very frustrating. stomach in knots for the week now :(

Once your photos, witness and all documentation etc are OK you should be fine.

They won't guarentee anything incase of a problem with the application. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

AGC wrote: »
    Once your photos, witness and all documentation etc are OK you should be fine.

They won't guarentee anything incase of a problem with the application. Don't worry about it.

ahhhh optimism again. cheers mate. deep down i kinda know (hope) thats the case. i know its just a holiday but by christ i havent had 1 for 4/5 yrs and saved like a mad yoke. roll on lanzarote on the 18th :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Going to Canaries in October, passport out of date in January, can I still travel without renewing?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

buck65 wrote: »
    Going to Canaries in October, passport out of date in January, can I still travel without renewing?
    Thanks in advance

When are you flying back? As long as your passport is valid on the dates of travel I believe you are fine. AFAIK EU citizens only need a valid passport, regardless of expiration date, to travel to other EU countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Just for a week, is there not something about 3 months validity ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

I remember I almost had an issue with an expiring passport when flying to Thailand. They insisted that my passport was valid for three months AFTER I planned to leave the country at the end of my holiday and my passport was only just in by days.

So I would check where you are flying to and check the visa requirements (if there is a visa required of course, mostly outside the EU).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Just for a week, is there not something about 3 months validity ?

Think there are some countries which require 3 or 6 months extra validity, but Spain isn't one of them.

Couldn't find an Irish source but here's a UK one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hello, if someone can please help me or advise me. This summer I lost a third passport, having lost the previous one last year, and then another one was robbed about five years prior to that. The passport I lost this time had already been a restricted 2 year passport
    I had to apply for an emergency travel document to get home.

I'm just wondering what should be my next move now? What are the chances that I will just get another restricted 2 year passport, or could it be worse than that? Would I be best e-mailing the office and seeking clarification? I don't want to have to go through the rigours of a passport application, including the monetary loss, only to be informed I will not be granted another passport, with a potential delay up to 5 years.

My other option is to try and apply for a British passport as my mother was born there. Is this my best option, or should I proceed with a new Irish passport application?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

You will be given a new passport, but more than likely it will be a one year or 6 month passport. If you want an unrestricted passport, you'll have to see if you are eligible for a uk one and get that. Afaik, they are much more expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Carvair wrote: »
    You reply is incorrect ... How is a hotel anywhere in Europe to know who is or who is not a European citizen unless they see your passport or travel document.

It wouldn't, clearly. It's not a hotel's concern to know what nationality it's guests are. Perhaps you didn't understand my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Hello, if someone can please help me or advise me. This summer I lost a third passport, having lost the previous one last year, and then another one was robbed about five years prior to that. The passport I lost this time had already been a restricted 2 year passport
    I had to apply for an emergency travel document to get home.

I'm just wondering what should be my next move now? What are the chances that I will just get another restricted 2 year passport, or could it be worse than that? Would I be best e-mailing the office and seeking clarification? I don't want to have to go through the rigours of a passport application, including the monetary loss, only to be informed I will not be granted another passport, with a potential delay up to 5 years.

My other option is to try and apply for a British passport as my mother was born there. Is this my best option, or should I proceed with a new Irish passport application?

Thanks

I would doubt your request would be refused, however if it is your money would be returned to you. It's likely you will get another restricted passport, try and take better care of it this time :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement