Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Balbriggan is not a public office hence the public are not dealt with there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Count_Hook

Count_Hook wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat - still at received & registered stage. Due to fly to US on the 11th. Passport tracking on the DFA website says issue date of 09/10/2012. Does anyone know how accurate this date is?

Joy!
    Emailed them again yesterday afternoon and I got a phone call back about half an hour later to say that it was approved and would be sent out today so I will have it on Monday. A day ahead of the 10 day guideline.

Thank you Cork Passport Office. Public Service depts get a lot of stick sometimes but credit where it's due!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 theirishhoser

Count_Hook wrote: »
    Joy!
    Emailed them again yesterday afternoon and I got a phone call back about half an hour later to say that it was approved and would be sent out today so I will have it on Monday. A day ahead of the 10 day guideline.

Thank you Cork Passport Office. Public Service depts get a lot of stick sometimes but credit where it's due!

Agreed. The Passport Office in Dublin was brilliant for me in getting my kids' passports sorted in time for our holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Anyone know if there's a way of applying for a renewal passport but hang on to and keep using the existing passport until the new one is issued? My friend's passport is out in December but he has to regularly travel with little or no notice.

Just send in a photocopy of the original.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

atgate wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a way of applying for a renewal passport but hang on to and keep using the existing passport until the new one is issued? My friend's passport is out in December but he has to regularly travel with little or no notice.

I had a similar problem a few years ago.

The boss wrote a letter explaining the need and provided a travel booking dated the following week. I went to the public office with that and they agreed to issue a three-year passport as a second passport. I had the new passport in two days. I then held both passports until they both expired earlier this year.

Among other things, this allowed me send one passport away to get visas issued while travelling on the other one.

tl;dr: Get a letter from the boss, a travel booking, a new passport application and go to the public office in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Javan wrote: »
    I had a similar problem a few years ago.

The boss wrote a letter explaining the need and provided a travel booking dated the following week. I went to the public office with that and they agreed to issue a three-year passport as a second passport. I had the new passport in two days. I then held both passports until they both expired earlier this year.

Among other things, this allowed me send one passport away to get visas issued while travelling on the other one.

tl;dr: Get a letter from the boss, a travel booking, a new passport application and go to the public office in person.

Difference between a second business passport and just getting your current one back before it expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

gar32 wrote: »
    Hello again,

Just wondering if I need a passport when driving from Germany to Poland?

My passport was running out of date. I live in Germany but want to drive to Poland. Would Irish Driving licence do? Maybe a photo copy of passport with that? It says 4 to 6 weeks waiting for passport.

Identity card would be handy now hhhmmmm ?

Thank you in advance.
    Not only do you need the passport for the travel to Poland, you are already breaking German law by not having a passport at all.

mdebets wrote: »
    Not only do you need the passport for the travel to Poland, you are already breaking German law by not having a passport at all.
    Cite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Cite?
    I only have the law in German here.
    (1) EU citizens and their family members are obliged,

1. ...

2. to have a passport or a recognized passport replacement for the whole stay in Germany

A passport replacement would either be a National ID card, a temporary passport, Diplomatic Passport or something similar, not a driver's license,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 iwantopinion

hi what are the chances of getting a passport express application pushed through to be completed before the issue date? I have tried ringing, just get a recorded msg, have emailed twice and haven't heard anything yet? Is it worth it go into molesworth st in person?

we are travelling on 17th, issue date is down as 16th. I submitted copy of travel details with application but in hindsight I should have just gone into office in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

mdebets wrote: »
    +1

As quoted above you must have a valid ID in germany regardless of your nationality once youre over 16 years old.
    There IS also an offence of entering or leaving Germany without having a valid ID with you (or replacement/ emergency passport).

The fine for trying to enter or leave Germany without a valid id is 2500 euro and for simply not having one intentionally/ casually disregarding the need (seems 100% to be the case here) and being on German soil is a 1000 euro.

link is here in german of the fines associated with the law:
    http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/freiz_gg_eu_2004/__10.html

How is an Irish citizen living in Germany supposed to renew their passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

By applying to the Irish embassy in Germany

Indeed, but then he does not have a passport in the intervening time period and according to many thus breaking the law.

the offence is to wilfully neglect to ensure you have a valid passport (my translation btw)

If you are proactively getting a replacement then you'd be grand as the cops could ring the embassy and confirm this.
    Also, when you are renewing your passport abroad your passport does not go further than the Embassy so if you ask nicely they will return it to you ASAP (but you will need to send it to them again to be cancelled before they'll send the new passport)

Back on topic, the Embassy in Berlin can get print emergency passports on the spot which may be a solution for the chap with an ID problem to get into poland.
    I was stuck a few years back and from a phonecall on the thursday at 4pm I had the emergency passport the next morning in my hand in Munich the other end of the country at 8.30am !
    (photos etc were already sent over a month before to renew my full passport so they had them on the system)

Indeed, but then he does not have a passport in the intervening time period and according to many thus breaking the law.

You don't have to return your passport anymore to get a new one. Photocopy usually suffices.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    You don't have to return your passport anymore to get a new one. Photocopy usually suffices.
    maybe the "it'll be grand" attitude of the irish passport office allows that but unfortunately the folks who do the work in the Embassy in Berlin are german and that's not in their vocabulary.

Also from the Irish Embassy in Berlin website:
    Enclose Proof of Citizenship (see below), if this is your first passport application, or your most recently issued passport in the case of renewal applications. Photocopies are not acceptable.

They also ring every single witness of signatures to ensure they are bonafide and that the passport applicant signed the form in person. I had the form sent back once as my doctor (rightly) said that the form was already signed when I arrived to her.

With the amount of dodgy passports that the Irish passport office in Dublin/ Cork seems to be issuing to secret service agents of other states, maybe its about time that they bucked their act up and PROPERLY checked applications by insisting on no photocopies of old passports and the likes.

According to passport.ie and the passport office. If a passport has less than six months validity. A photocopy will be accepted. Also, in my experience, the embassy in Germany is less strict than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shemwe

Hey,

My Granddad on my fathers side was born in England, His father before him was born in Scotland, so both were British citizens, however my father was born in Ireland and so was I. I'm wondering if I'm eligible to a British passport, will be traveling to India next summer and thought it would be handy to have both passports in case of emergencies.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Don't think you are eligible, but you could always ring the British Embassy, I'm sure they would tell you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

The decision will be up to the British Foreign Office.
    Good luck with your application, I hope you are entitled to a full British Passport.

I don't recommend that you use two passports for the same destination (especially one country trip).
    First off your Visa with entry date stamp will only be in one passport. So what circumstance do you envisage you would present a second passport without an Entry Stamp? (a traveller can collect as many Visa stamps/stickers as they like,the entry stamp and date with the Visa stamp/sticker is what counts).

If it is a question of ID, by all means store scanned documents in different electronic places, carry photocopies of Passport details, Visa (virgin) and then photocopy Visa with entry stamp after arrival.

Even travelling on, applying for further Visa applications or presenting at Immigration at another countries airport with the second virgin passport. Without a history of travel in the local region. Will raise questions, at the least the original travelled passport should be asked of you. There may be a reason if one nationality passport-holder has restricted entitlements over the other. Or if you planned to stay a long time (maybe over 3 months) in one country. Any authority issuing documentation, where ID is based on Passport/Entry/Length of stay should want to see the entitlement of the applicant. That may include renting vehicles or sending parcels abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Shemwe wrote: »
    Hey,

My Granddad on my fathers side was born in England, His father before him was born in Scotland, so both were British citizens, however my father was born in Ireland and so was I. I'm wondering if I'm eligible to a British passport, will be traveling to India next summer and thought it would be handy to have both passports in case of emergencies.

Thanks,

you can't get British citizenship based upon the fact your grandfather was born in the UK - its not like being able to play for Ireland cos your granny was Irish!
    British citizenship by descent is only transferable to one generation down from the parent who is a British citizen otherwise than by descent, if the child is born abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Shemwe wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks,

Your father was born a British citizen by descent. Did he ever live in the UK, prior to your birth?

Your father was born a British citizen by descent. Did he ever live in the UK, prior to your birth?

Yes but if he never claimed his citizenship, his son cannot claim it based upon his grandfather. The father would first have to claim citizenship. And from the quote I gave this would still not qualify the grandson for citizenship
    British citizenship by descent is only transferable to one generation down from the parent who is a British citizen otherwise than by descent, if the child is born abroad.

my reading of this (but I may be wrong) is that dad can claim citizenship by decent from grandad, but then as dad has citizenship by decent this cannot be further transferred for a further generation. If dad was a citizen by a method otherwise than descent - i.e by birth in the UK it can then his son could apply.

Little Ted wrote: »
    Yes but if he never claimed his citizenship, his son cannot claim it based upon his grandfather. The father would first have to claim citizenship. And from the quote I gave this would still not qualify the grandson for citizenship

my reading of this (but I may be wrong) is that dad can claim citizenship by decent from grandad, but then as dad has citizenship by decent this cannot be further transferred for a further generation. If dad was a citizen by a method otherwise than descent - i.e by birth in the UK it can then his son could apply.

Under British nationality law, anyone born outside the UK to a father who is a British citizen otherwise than by decent (or, after 1983, to a mother who is a British citizen otherwise than by decent), is born a British citizen by decent. This type of British nationality does not have to be claimed or applied for, it is acquired automatically.

Without doubt, Shemwe's father is a British citizen by decent.

Being born outside the UK to a parent who is a British citizen by decent, Shemwe may be eligible to register as a British citizen by decent if he is under 18 and fulfills certain conditions. See also: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/children/britishcitizen/

Being born outside the UK to a parent who is a British citizen by decent, Shemwe may be eligible to register as a British citizen by decent if he is under 18 and fulfills certain conditions. See also: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/children/britishcitizen/

I don't believe so
    If you are a British citizen by descent, you have the same rights as any other British citizen except that if you have a child born outside the United Kingdom (including the Channel Islands and Isle of Man), it will not automatically be a British citizen unless:
    • the child is born in a British Overseas Territory (such as Bermuda), since 21 May 2002; or
    • you are in U.K. recruited Crown Service, or designated equivalent; or
    • the child acquires British citizenship from the other parent
    so as I said before, there is no automatic transferrence of rights to a citizen by descent's children if they are born outside the UK or British territories.

But sure, look, its for the poster to chase up, and as suggested by another poster, for definitive information UK immigration can always be contacted.

Little Ted wrote: »
    I don't believe so

so as I said before, there is no automatic transferrence of rights to a citizen by descent's children if they are born outside the UK or British territories.

But sure, look, its for the poster to chase up, and as suggested by another poster, for definitive information UK immigration can always be contacted.

Yes, that's what I said. A child born outside the UK to parent who is a British citizen by decent does not acquire nor has an automatic right to any form of British nationality. However, he may be eligible to register as a British citizen by decent if he is under 18 and fulfills certain conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shampooman

Hey lads,

Hope everyone is well! I sent off my application for new passport this evening using passport express. I sent it to the office in Cork. They guarantee a 10 day turn around. I went on an post website and there was an alert stating that the turnaround time will now take 15 days due higher volume applications. I leave 14 days from now. Anyways just went on an post again as well as the the department of foreign affairs site and I cant seem to find the warning at all and the normal 10 day turnaround guarantee is up. Am I going mad or whats the story? :)

Also anyone used passport express option and what have been your experiences?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

used it during the summer,had them bang on 10 days,you've a tracking number on the receipt you can follow the progress of them,If your starting to panic ring them with your details & explain to them you need it asap

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement