Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

If I were you I'd get official and documented advice on this so call the passport office or the Gardai to find out. I say this because I know of someone this happened to and turns out they were travelling around South America on what had been filed as a stolen passport - as such you're potentially opening up a whole can of very nasty worms if stopped at any notoriously full-on border control.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Hi folks, friend of mine is flying to Edinburgh on Monday with her daughter, she can find kids passport but not her own, she's contacted the P/office in Cork and the earliest they would have an emergency Pport is Monday, too late for her flight, i Know A/lingus take Drivers Licence but booking at this stage is hugely expensive, does any one know could she sail to Edinburgh and would she be able to use her Licence as id?
    Thanks a million if anyone can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes. It would be accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Hi all just wondering if yous reckon we-d be ok,first passport for an infant applied for by passport express (Dublin)on 15-10 received and registered 16-10,issue date stated as 30-10,were due to fly out 2-11,I assume it gets posted out on the issue date,im just wondering as I know were leaving things a bit tight if they-d allow me to collect it on person on the issue date just to be on the safe side?also when we applied in the post office they took the childs mothers passport too and stuck it in the envelope is this normal as it wasnt mentioned that it was needed on the application form,im assuming this will come back with the passport?, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Can you fly to the uk on a passport outta date by a couple of months?

• Advertisement

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

A passport that's not out of date is needed to fly with Ryanair. Aer Lingus will not insist on a passport, if you have other forms of i.d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

triple-M wrote: »
    Hi all just wondering if yous reckon we-d be ok,first passport for an infant applied for by passport express (Dublin)on 15-10 received and registered 16-10,issue date stated as 30-10,were due to fly out 2-11,I assume it gets posted out on the issue date,im just wondering as I know were leaving things a bit tight if they-d allow me to collect it on person on the issue date just to be on the safe side?also when we applied in the post office they took the childs mothers passport too and stuck it in the envelope is this normal as it wasnt mentioned that it was needed on the application form,im assuming this will come back with the passport?, thanks

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

triple-M wrote: »
    anyone?
    No-one can say for sure, so you should try to contact them, but for what it's worth I recently renewed mine in Dublin through passport express on Mon 8th Oct.
    Received & registered 9th Oct.
    Predicted issue date 22nd Oct.
    Received by post Thursday 18th Oct.

Website showed received & registered right up to Wed 17th & suddenly jumped to posted on Oct 17th.

But seeing as there's a bank holiday on Mon 29th plus the fact that it's a first time minor passport your's may take that bit longer, so for peace of mind you should probably try to contact them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Froggyman

Hi all,in a panic here,were flying to England Thursday evening with Ryanair but my girlfriend has lost her passport and we have searched the house all day and its no where to be seen..does anyone know if we go to passport office in either Dublin or cork tomorrow could we get one issued on the same day or even pick it up Thursday morning? Or does anyone work in the office or have a friend who does? Would appreciate any help thanks cause she's very upset bout it,goin over to her sister and hubby and their young twins :-( thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

In 1998 i went to molesworth st in Dublin for my passport,the man behind the counter knew a mate of a mate & i picked it up the following day,Call in first thing in the morning & tell them you'll have no problem picking it up from the warehouse in Balbriggan the next day,they might be able to help you.If all else fails re-book your flights with Aer lingus & use your driving licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Just copied this from the DFA website. i have emboldened the bits relevant to you.

Public Counter Urgent Fee

Payable, upon proof of urgent travel, for passports required to be issued within five days following application. This fee is in addition to the appropriate passport fee as set out above.

Please note that this is not an 'on demand' service and applications will take a minimum of three days to process.

€55 -Adult

€30 -Child

Out of Hours Emergency Service Administration Fee

This is for the issue of a temporary passport of limited validity by the Department's out of hours emergency service.

A further application must be made for a standard passport for any subsequent travel. The payment of the appropriate fee as set out above will apply.

€110 - Adult

€55 - Child

Not a hope in hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

No chance at all, wednesday MAY get it for friday at the earliest, but thats dependant on a few circumstances. Best bet is Aer Lingus.

In 1998 i went to molesworth st in Dublin for my passport,the man behind the counter knew a mate of a mate & i picked it up the following day,Call in first thing in the morning & tell them you'll have no problem picking it up from the warehouse in Balbriggan the next day,they might be able to help you.If all else fails re-book your flights with Aer lingus & use your driving licence.

I've highlighted the key bit. A lots changed since then. 3 days minimum for lost passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Froggyman wrote: »
    Hi all,in a panic here,were flying to England Thursday evening with Ryanair but my girlfriend has lost her passport and we have searched the house all day and its no where to be seen..does anyone know if we go to passport office in either Dublin or cork tomorrow could we get one issued on the same day or even pick it up Thursday morning? Or does anyone work in the office or have a friend who does? Would appreciate any help thanks cause she's very upset bout it,goin over to her sister and hubby and their young twins :-( thanks everyone

Also if you do report this lost and she has previously lost or had a passport stolen then her next passport may only be for 3 years. I'd rebook with another airline and use the drivers licence instead then come back chilled and have a better look for the passport.

Also if you do report this lost and she has previously lost or had a passport stolen then her next passport may only be for 3 years. I'd rebook with another airline and use the drivers licence instead then come back chilled and have a better look for the passport.

It would be 2 years, and thats if they are both in date still. Would also meen a minimum 10 day wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Joekers wrote: »
    Can you fly to the uk on a passport outta date by a couple of months?

You can with flybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shampooman

Hey Lads just an update on my previous post, I got my passport Tuesday so the wait only 7 working days :) Exceptional service!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

bit of a problem which someone might have an idea:

my brother (19) realised this evening that his passport is out of date. he's supposed to be flying to Spain on Sunday wit Ryanair, and back on Wednesday with Aer Lingus.
    he doesn't have a driving licence.
    i'm not sure if he has a Garda Age card, will check later.

is there any way of getting an emergency passport on a Saturday?

• Advertisement

Nope.

Nope.

There is, out of date adult passports can be replaced by the duty officer in Iveagh House, Dublin 2. Details can be found on passport.ie. its expensive though

Contact details: Out of hours emergency service tel. +353 1 478 0822

They will only be done with good reason. Negligence is not a good reason.

They will only be done with good reason. Negligence is not a good reason.

If he's and adult with an out of date passport, travelling on sunday, 99% of the time they will do it

Really? I am shocked that there are no consequences for such stupidity.

Really? I am shocked that there are no consequences for such stupidity.

Yep, its a nice earner for them. No lost passports or kids applications though. This is unless things have change since last year, but I don't think they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Delighted the Passport Office provides this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I'm about to renew my passport, the present one has both my christian names, eg, John Paul. If I wanted to just have Paul this time round would there be much paperwork involved? Would this be looked upon as a name change? I'v looked at the web site but can't seem to get a definite answer. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

roundymac wrote: »
    I'm about to renew my passport, the present one has both my christian names, eg, John Paul. If I wanted to just have Paul this time round would there be much paperwork involved? Would this be looked upon as a name change? I'v looked at the web site but can't seem to get a definite answer. Thanks in advance.

Not a problem. In the application form there is a section entitled "Name to appear on Passport" separate from name on Birth Cert

• Advertisement

Thats wrong, if you wanted to drop Paul it would be easy. If you use the name Paul on a daily basis, submit two years proof of this, and then you can use Paul.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement