Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 allyano16

Hey Folks, just got my passport passport photos taken today and ready for Garda stamp and An Post express however the lady in the pharmacy said dont cut the pictures into 4's... she said they would do this at the passport offices themselves. Should I believe her or did she just not have a scissors today?

True or False?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 allyano16

Hey Folks, just got my passport passport photos taken today and ready for Garda stamp and An Post express however the lady in the pharmacy said dont cut the pictures into 4's... she said they would do this at the passport offices themselves. Should I believe her or did she just not have a scissors today?

True or False?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Just leave them as they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

To those in the know:

Travelling to the Canaries in Jan, back the 6th passport expires on the 15th Jan, any reason I should have hassle?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

buck65 wrote: »
    To those in the know:

Travelling to the Canaries in Jan, back the 6th passport expires on the 15th Jan, any reason I should have hassle?

Thanks

Nope. The Canary Islands are part of the EU for the purpose of free movement of EU nationals and their family members. Irish nationals have the right of entry and residence, for up to three months, without any conditions or formalities other than the requirement to hold a valid passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

if your passport is expired and you apply in person for a new one is there any hope of having it that day if you have proof you're travelling? i'm due to go to the uk monday and only remembered my passport is out.

would it be a waste of time going into the office? the website says 3 days in person but surely i doesn't take that long.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Who are you flying with? If it is Aer Lingus, you can use your driving license as proof of ID

Who are you flying with? If it is Aer Lingus, you can use your driving license as proof of ID

no it's ryanair so need the passport and I don't have an identity card.

if your passport is expired and you apply in person for a new one is there any hope of having it that day if you have proof you're travelling? i'm due to go to the uk monday and only remembered my passport is out.

would it be a waste of time going into the office? the website says 3 days in person but surely i doesn't take that long.
    It does take that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Yes it would be a waste of time, 3 days minimum. Only exceptions are emergencies, needing to go to the UK isn't one.

• Advertisement

MarkMc wrote: »
    Yes it would be a waste of time, 3 days minimum. Only exceptions are emergencies, needing to go to the UK isn't one.

ok thanks.

There is, out of date adult passports can be replaced by the duty officer in Iveagh House, Dublin 2. Details can be found on passport.ie. its expensive though

Contact details: Out of hours emergency service tel. +353 1 478 0822

Just seeing this now a few posts above. would that be worth trying in my case? i thought it was for proper emergencies only.

The worst they can say is no.

Just seeing this now a few posts above. would that be worth trying in my case? i thought it was for proper emergencies only.

Only if you're travelling during the weekend. As you're travelling on Monday you don't qualify

Is sail rail an option for you? Usually excellent service and cheap as chips.

Is sail rail an option for you? Usually excellent service and cheap as chips.

not really no. i called the emergency number and was told they're normally fairly good at sorting it out and to call back over the weekend. still some hope at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Only if you're travelling during the weekend. As you're travelling on Monday you don't qualify

That sounds very odd.

They would renew a Passport for you out of hours if you were travelling on a Sunday, but not if you leaving on a Monday?

Skid wrote: »

That sounds very odd.

They would renew a Passport for you out of hours if you were travelling on a Sunday, but not if you leaving on a Monday?

As odd as that is, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Linkie to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Passport Appointment Booking Service.
    This is a pilot programme that will run for three months and during that time feedback will be sought in the Passport Office and on Twitter @DFATravel.

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade confirming the launch of a new pilot scheme for passport applicants. People needing to travel at short notice will now be able to avail of a new appointment service which will allow them to lodge there passport quickly and at a time convenient to themselves. Counter opening hours have also been extended.

Currently, the cheapest and most efficient way to lodge a passport application is through Passport Express (a joint venture with An Post.)

Customers applying through Passport Express are given a commitment that, where the application is properly completed, a passport will be produced within ten working days.

However, it is sometimes necessary to travel at short notice for a wide variety of reasons. As of yesterday, people in need of passports who need to travel within 10 days can now make an appointment with the Passport Office to lodge their passport application at a time that suits them.

Counter opening hours will be extended and appointments will be available between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Linkie to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Passport Appointment Booking Service.
    This is a pilot programme that will run for three months and during that time feedback will be sought in the Passport Office and on Twitter @DFATravel.

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade confirming the launch of a new pilot scheme for passport applicants. People needing to travel at short notice will now be able to avail of a new appointment service which will allow them to lodge there passport quickly and at a time convenient to themselves. Counter opening hours have also been extended.

Currently, the cheapest and most efficient way to lodge a passport application is through Passport Express (a joint venture with An Post.)

Customers applying through Passport Express are given a commitment that, where the application is properly completed, a passport will be produced within ten working days.

However, it is sometimes necessary to travel at short notice for a wide variety of reasons. As of yesterday, people in need of passports who need to travel within 10 days can now make an appointment with the Passport Office to lodge their passport application at a time that suits them.

Counter opening hours will be extended and appointments will be available between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.

Interesting, but how soon can a passport be produced? And, am I being being thick here, but what's new in this pilot? People have always been able to lodge applications directly at the passport office, and without appointment.

• Advertisement

Interesting, but how soon can a passport be produced? And, am I being being thick here, but what's new in this pilot? People have always been able to lodge applications directly at the passport office, and without appointment.

Its to try and prevent having 200 people in the public office at once, by giving them a rough estimate of what time to arrive at

Won't work. People will still show up on spec with their tall tales of woe.

More than likely. If it was me I wouldn't serve them though.

just an update on this. i went up today with the form, proof of travel, photos and my old passport. when i rang i was only asked if i had all of the above and 190 quid, no mention of emergencies or reasons. an hour later i had a passport :cool:

just an update on this. i went up today with the form, proof of travel, photos and my old passport. when i rang i was only asked if i had all of the above and 190 quid, no mention of emergencies or reasons. an hour later i had a passport :cool:

Point noted - book flights for weekend departure in future, just in case!

Good to hear, must have loosened up since last summer

It's all about the money these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zero_

Hi,

I've a question about the expiry date on my passport. I was trying to find it elsewhere here but couldn't.

I'm flying to New York on 23 Dec to 30 th Dec, my passport expires on 5 June 2013, will I still be ok to fly? (does 6 month rule apply)
    Thanks

zero_ wrote: »
    Hi,

I've a question about the expiry date on my passport. I was trying to find it elsewhere here but couldn't.

I'm flying to New York on 23 Dec to 30 th Dec, my passport expires on 5 June 2013, will I still be ok to fly? (does 6 month rule apply)
    Thanks

You'll be fine. Waiver will be issued for 90 days or the expiry date on the passport, whichever comes first.

• Advertisement

There is no such thing as the 6 month rule.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement