Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

Sorry, could you just clarify what you mean please?
    Im not sure if its on the website but i do know that they only take a passport from another country when it has to be checked for residency/visas and stamps. Naturalisation applications require: Naturalisation cert, proof of name and address, a valid photo id or passport for id purposes, birth certificate and marriage cert if it applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Im not sure if its on the website but i do know that they only take a passport from another country when it has to be checked for residency/visas and stamps.
    What specific type of residency / visa / stamps are you suggesting the Irish passport office might be checking for, in the foreign passport of an Irish citizen? Surely you don't mean Irish residency / visa / stamps?

Naturalisation applications require: Naturalisation cert, proof of name and address, a valid photo id or passport for id purposes, birth certificate and marriage cert if it applies.
    Indeed, says so here:
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=84782

Still unclear as to why the Irish passport office, and you, feel it's relevant that the former have sight of the foreign passport(s) of an Irish citizen as a condition of issuing to that Irish citizen an Irish passport, to which he has an entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

well, while I still don't understand why they needed my foreign passport, I got both passports back in the post. It may have even been within the 10 day time-frame of the express service if I had "known" that they would want that passport.
    It is still unclear how on earth an applicant is supposed to guess that they should send in their passport. So far as I can see, the express service basically does not apply to first time naturalised applicants.

Gatica wrote: »
    So far as I can see, the express service basically does not apply to first time naturalised applicants.

It worked fine for me. I received my first Irish passport within 5 working days of the passport office's receipt of my application by Passport Express. I did not submit my foreign passport, nor was I asked for one.

I understand that up until you had applied that was the case, October I believe.
    However, the person on the phone told me that now (and she didn't say from when) you do need to submit a passport with the application. However, since an applicant such as myself cannot foresee that they will require this, and it does not state it on their website, they are basically excluding people like me from the express service by extension, since the application is sure to be delayed by their request for a passport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They love to make up the rules as they go along.

I was given an A4 flyer at the ceremony I attended on 15th October, stating the documents required for a first-time passport application. It mirrored those stated on the DFA website, linked to a few posts above, but it also listed the foreign passport as a required document.

I ignored that request, simply because it's absurd, and I received my passport a week later.

Perhaps, at that time, the requirement was new and the staff handling my (and my wife's) application weren't aware of it.

If we were asked for our foreign passports, I'd have said no and, if necessary, complained at EU level. I realise that not everyone might have the time to do this though, since they might simply be in a hurry for their passport, however I do feel it's important that we don't just bend over and let civil servants of this country take us any way they like.

Do the passport office record details of visas/stamps in passports of Irish citizens sent in for renewal?

Do the passport office record details of visas/stamps in passports of Irish citizens sent in for renewal?

No, because they accept (or at least they used to accept) a photocopy of the photo page of an expired Irish passport as proof of citizenship for a renewal application.

This business of requesting the foreign passport(s) of naturalised Irish citizens is downright discriminatory and absolutely unconstitutional.

This business of requesting the foreign passport(s) of naturalised Irish citizens is downright discriminatory and absolutely unconstitutional.
    I used to work in the passport office and this is what i was told and trained to do.

Request a foreing passport when an application is made for a child that is born pre 2005 so residency periods of parent can be checked.

Foreign Passorts are only required for naturalisation applicants so that we can photocopy the ID page. The only cases that you may have to submit the passport is when you are posting or using passport express. This is because they cannot accept a photo copy as it is not physically presented by the applicant and we cannot see the individual to match up with the ID on the passport and naturalisation cert.

Just a note for some. The staff need to be very careful and thourough when it comes to applications because in some cases their jobs depend on not making mistakes. Also, there is so much fraudulant applications that come in to the passport offices and therefore need to be precise.

Hope this was in some way helpful.

• Advertisement

Interesting post, thank you. If I could just respond to some of your points there..
    I used to work in the passport office and this is what i was told and trained to do.

Request a foreing passport when an application is made for a child that is born pre 2005 so residency periods of parent can be checked.
    I think you mean for a child born post 2005. In any case, that's not what's being discussed at the moment. Nobody is disputing that evidence of entitlement to Irish citizenship should be submitted with an Irish passport application. Every Irish citizen must submit this, and for children born on this island after 01/01/2005, to parents one of whom is neither Irish nor British nor a third country national with either permission or entitlement to reside in Ireland or Northern Ireland without restriction, evidence of the child's entitlement to Irish citizenship comes in the form of evidence of the lawful, reckonable residence of at least one parent on this island for at least three out of the previous four years immediately before the child's birth.

The issue at hand is unrelated to the above. It's the demanding of the foreign passport(s) of an Irish citizen (who has already proven his citizenship by means of a certificate of naturalisation) as a condition of issuing an Irish passport. That is what is discriminatory and unconstitutional.

Foreign Passorts are only required for naturalisation applicants so that we can photocopy the ID page. The only cases that you may have to submit the passport is when you are posting or using passport express. This is because they cannot accept a photo copy as it is not physically presented by the applicant and we cannot see the individual to match up with the ID on the passport and naturalisation cert.
    That's untrue, I'm afraid. Photo ID is required, sure, but according to the DFA website that can be a certified copy of a drivers licence, work ID; student card; social club membership; passport from other country etc.;. Irish citizens by naturalisation are currently being requested to submit their foreign passport in addition to regular photo ID, examples of which are above.

Just a note for some. The staff need to be very careful and thourough when it comes to applications because in some cases their jobs depend on not making mistakes. Also, there is so much fraudulant applications that come in to the passport offices and therefore need to be precise.

Hope this was in some way helpful.
    Of course they need to be careful and thorough, that is not disputed. The issue is with the policy makers, more than the front-of-house staff. Whoever deemed it mandatory to make issuance of an Irish passport to an Irish citizen conditional on having sight of that Irish citizen's foreign passport is, frankly, breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

Hi all,

Brother lives in Oz, booked tickets for parents to go out there in May as a surprise. Mothers name is Breege but on her birth cert and passport it says Brigid - Breege was what she has always been called and her wage slips are in this name.

Emirates airline have informed him it will cost €300 to change the name on the ticket - does anyone know of any way around this - would the passport office be able to re-issue her passport in the name of Breege instead? Probably a long shot.

They can if you can show them 2 years of usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

They can if you can show them 2 years of usage.

Two years of usage of the name?

Correct.

Send in a good few examples.

Photo ID is required, sure, but according to the DFA website that can be a certified copy of a drivers licence, work ID; student card; social club membership; passport from other country etc.;. Irish citizens by naturalisation are currently being requested to submit their foreign passport in addition to regular photo ID, examples of which are above.

Yes, that is exactly the case. I had sent a certified copy of my driver's licence. The passport I had to send in had to be the original, a certified copy the authenticity of which could easily be checked by the Garda was not acceptable.

I would love to know the exact legal basis on which they are able to make such a demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Bambi2

Thanks folks, just came across this and was delighted to find it....my situation was slightly different as I'm just married so changing my name on my password in the next renewal so didn't want to book flights for wrong person!!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

Has anyone applied recently ,

First time applicant:

I was wondering that I have sent the application on 14 th dec via passport express can it be posted on the 24 seeing that its Christmas Eve that is if the application has full documents and its straight forward?
    Also is there a chance if I call them asking that my appication could be prioritised as I do wish to travel after Christmas.

I don't know about speeding up an application that's already sent in, but I don't think you should count on it being ready for the 24th.
    As the an-post staff processing my application said, it's 10 working days, not 10 calendar days. Considering civil servants have lots more "bank" holidays than normal people, they may not be operational for days you may consider working days outside of the Xmas bank holidays, kind of like the post office itself.
    You may get lucky and they'll send it to you "early", but I wouldn't count on the "10 day" guarantee.

• Advertisement

Gatica wrote: »
    I don't know about speeding up an application that's already sent in, but I don't think you should count on it being ready for the 24th.
    As the an-post staff processing my application said, it's 10 working days, not 10 calendar days. Considering civil servants have lots more "bank" holidays than normal people, they may not be operational for days you may consider working days outside of the Xmas bank holidays, kind of like the post office itself.
    You may get lucky and they'll send it to you "early", but I wouldn't count on the "10 day" guarantee.

Could I try getting a ticket or paying 150 as I need to travel for family circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

ayumi wrote: »
    Could I try getting a ticket or paying 150 as I need to travel for family circumstances?

Why didn't you just apply in time??

netopia wrote: »
    Why didn't you just apply in time??

Had citizenship ceremony on 13/12 and applied on the the same day but posted it late so was taken on Friday and got to the passport office today.

Well it is a 10 working day turnaround

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

netopia wrote: »
    Well it is a 10 working day turnaround

Which can be reduced.

And in December the actual turnaround is closer to 5 working days.

And in December the actual turnaround is closer to 5 working days.

... with 3,800 people who were naturalised last week applying??

They won't all be applying this week surely?

I had my passport back in 5 working days in December last year.

They won't all be applying this week surely?

I had my passport back in 5 working days in December last year.

No guarantee as I cAlling today and was told that may not be available for the 23rd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Hey,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.
    Well, when my mom first applied for her passport she needed her parents marriage certificate and birt cert as she was born in England and had a English birth cert, will she need them again to renew her passport? See her mom has passed away a few years ago and she doesn't really talk to her father and he lives 2hrs away.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement