Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If she has an irish passport now, then no. She just needs to send that away.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

I'm resident in Ireland but leaving for a job in the US in 8-10 weeks. My current passport expires in July 2013. Would you recommend renewing it now while I'm in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Absolutely I think the states don't allow passports to be less than 6 months till expiration. Not 100% on that, but I think it'd be the best option to get it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Renew it now. The six month limit is for most airlines.

Rubbish, there is no such rule. Time for a new book Mr. Travel Agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

sephir0th wrote: »
    I'm resident in Ireland but leaving for a job in the US in 8-10 weeks. My current passport expires in July 2013. Would you recommend renewing it now while I'm in Ireland?

Do renew it now before you leave. NOT because there is some imaginary "rule" that means you need 6 months on your Irish passport to enter the US but because it will 1) be cheaper & 2) be quicker for you to get your passport through the Passport Office in Dublin/Cork (even quicker & cheaper through passport express) than it will be through an Irish embassy / consulate abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

Is the day of being able to travel to London with just a full drivers license a thing of the past can anyone tell me??
    Heathrow will be the destination so I'll be flying with Aer Lingus....

No problems with Aer Lingus.

Ryanair are the only ones that only accept passports for travel to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

No problems with Aer Lingus.

Ryanair are the only ones that only accept passports for travel to the UK.

Thanks a mill! You're 100% sure about this I presume?!!
    You seem well in the know about all things travel!
    Cheers again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Thanks a mill! You're 100% sure about this I presume?!!
    You seem well in the know about all things travel!
    Cheers again....

100% on this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cypressg

My passport is 5 years out of date,does anybody know what is the process for getting a new one?
    Do I have to go to the garda station and get something signed or can I just go into the passport office and get a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

Hi, its the same process all over again, the same form has to be filled in and signed by the Gardai, bring your old passport with you along with your birth cert and 4 photograths and some other form of ID if you have the likes of a driving license that should be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alicantino

Hi there,

In a bit of a muddle at the moment. I lost my passport in Spain where I was issued an emergency passport to return to Ireland over the Christmas holidays. The thing is I am a Spanish resident and have my return ticket already booked for the 5th Jan!!

Does anyone have any idea on how I go about getting either an emergency passport to return or a new passport sharpish over here?? :/

I would greatly appreciate any help on this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Do you have a Spanish National ID Card? It is a valid travel document and you could return to Spain with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alicantino

No unfortunately I don't , what I do have is a residency card which doesn't have a photograph on it... Don't think that would be acceptable for travel. I think I will just go down to the passport office on Wednesday and see what I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Quick query, I'm renewing my 3 1/2 year olds passport at present. Does anyone know if I need to submit also my own passport with application. I've got different responses from people so am confused ? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

dixierip wrote: »
    Quick query, I'm renewing my 3 1/2 year olds passport at present. Does anyone know if I need to submit also my own passport with application. I've got different responses from people so am confused ? Thanks

If the child already has an Irish passport then no, you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭horse7

Could anyone advise me as to how one can renew an irish passport while living in australia or newzealand. My brother is living away and has a 2014 expiry date on his passport. It doesnt look like he will be back before then,but would like to be able to renew the passport before it expires. ps he may be here for 2 weeks in april, but can he renew the passport in dublin (a) if its not expired this april or (b) in australia before it expires some time in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MRG77

If he is only here for 2 weeks then it would be a bit tight to get it renewed here. Passport express is the quickest and that takes up to 10 working days. His best bet is to contact the Irish embassy in Austrailia and get it done through them. I don't know how long it would take to get it done that way, I'm guessing maybe 3 or 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,450 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think spring time is close to peak demand for passport renewals so I wouldn't bank on getting it renewed in two weeks when he's home, do it via the Irish Embassy in Australia.

Otherwise if there's a cock-up (strike in the Passport office, wrong size photo, incorrect fee included with the paperwork etc.), he could be stuck here with adverse consequences for his job in Oz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Baron Floyd

does anyone know if you need to have a baby passport if traveling to the UK (Via Ferry) for a weekend? I think you don't if your coming from Scotland to Belfast but not sure about the other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

nope, so long as the child is an irish or british citizen theres no need for a passport within what is called the common travel area.
    Travelling to Holyhead is no different than crossing the border into the UK at Carrickdale between Newry and Dundalk.

This info should be also on the websites of the various ferry companies if you have a wee rumage.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Baron Floyd

Cheers, panic over!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>

This info should be also on the websites of the various ferry companies if you have a wee rumage.
    heres the info on Stena Line
    http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/faqs/passports-and-visas/im-a-british-irish-citizen-do-i-need-a-passport-to-travel/
    Stena also mention :
    "A birth certificate will provide adequate proof of identity for your child to travel on our sailings."
    i.e. you can prove the kid is irish (or a brit) therefore not needing a passport.

and here is irish ferries.
    http://www.irishferries.com/ie/faq-passports.asp

travelled from Dublin to Holyhead last week with the wife and kids and there was no id checks that I can remember, at least not by the cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

So I know I can bring my one year old on a ferry with just her birth cert but what about on an airline that travels to London is there any airline at all that will accept just the baby's birth cert ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

So this is going to sound idiotic but what does travelling on someones passport mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

In the context of your other thread this may refer to a child being added to his or her parents passport. This used be quite common in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, You don't need a passport to travel between the UK and Ireland. However, Ryanair do require all passengers to have a passport for all of their flight, regardless of where they are flying too. If you have your child included on your passport, then she can travel with you on that with Ryanair. If you don't, she can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

Hi All,

Flying Dublin-Birmingham mid February with Ryanair. My passport expires in April and I just wanted to double check that it doesn't need to be valid for a certain length of time. I've never flown this close to it expiring before so just wanted to check.

Thanks,
    Jennifer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

jenn1984 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Flying Dublin-Birmingham mid February with Ryanair. My passport expires in April and I just wanted to double check that it doesn't need to be valid for a certain length of time. I've never flown this close to it expiring before so just wanted to check.

Thanks,
    Jennifer

Just needs to be valid for when you fly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement