Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

So I know I can bring my one year old on a ferry with just her birth cert but what about on an airline that travels to London is there any airline at all that will accept just the baby's birth cert ?

Thanks

Aer Lingus, Aer Arann, Flybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

BA, Cityjet too as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jenn1984 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Flying Dublin-Birmingham mid February with Ryanair. My passport expires in April and I just wanted to double check that it doesn't need to be valid for a certain length of time. I've never flown this close to it expiring before so just wanted to check.

Thanks,
    Jennifer

UK Ireland its fine.

Only an issue if you fly to the Schengen Zone (Needs to be valid a minimum of 3 months from the date of entry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

UK Ireland its fine.

Only an issue if you fly to the Schengen Zone (Needs to be valid a minimum of 3 months from the date of entry)

Not for EU passports afaik. No minimum for them.

No mention of it on the foreign affairs travel advice page

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=445

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Total tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Question: (asking as I have a British Passport but this will be my first Irish Passport).

I am getting all the things ready for the Passport Express envelope that are required and one of them is proof of address (standard, as with most things). Now most that ask for this will accept my proof of address but I am wondering from those in the know if it'l be acceptable for the Passport office. I don't have any 'utility' bills in my name so they are a no go. The two things I have in my name are my mobile phone bill or a letter from Sky that says thank you for setting up direct debit, please check the following is correct and it has by bank info (half starred out) on it. Are either of these acceptable? Also if the phone bill is do I need to send the whole thing or just the front page?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭horse7

UK Ireland its fine.

do you not mean its an issue outside the schengen zone. re; The Schengen Area operates as a single international travel and immigration area with no border controls for people travelling between Schengen countries and only external border controls for those travelling in and out of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

horse7 wrote: »
    do you not mean its an issue outside the schengen zone. re; The Schengen Area operates as a single international travel and immigration area with no border controls for people travelling between Schengen countries and only external border controls for those travelling in and out of the area.

He's wrong either way. Anywhere in the EU your passport just needs to be valid.

MarkMc wrote: »
    Not for EU passports afaik. No minimum for them.

No mention of it on the foreign affairs travel advice page

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=445

My mistake,

My dad was turned away at border control in Geneva due to his passport being valid less than three months.

Upon further research Switzerland changed the rules in 2009 so you can indeed travel with any National ID card or Passport regardless of validity.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

horse7 wrote: »

Just to remind, there are Identity and Compliance checks and maybe more for visitors travelling between Schengen countries.
    These include spot checks on public transport or at Stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Hi. I'm on my phone and finding it hard to find answers to my questions.

My passport is a month out of date and I have to fly to Amsterdam on Thursday morning. I intend going into Dublin passport office first thing tomorrow with Garda signed photos, my expired passport, proof of flight, money for fees, application form. Is there anything else I need? Have I a chance in hell of getting it by Wednesday evening? I'm going to try travelling on Thursday anyway, see if they let me thru, I have to try it. If anyone has any useful tips or advice I would be grateful.

Hi. I'm on my phone and finding it hard to find answers to my questions.

My passport is a month out of date and I have to fly to Amsterdam on Thursday morning. I intend going into Dublin passport office first thing tomorrow with Garda signed photos, my expired passport, proof of flight, money for fees, application form. Is there anything else I need? Have I a chance in hell of getting it by Wednesday evening? I'm going to try travelling on Thursday anyway, see if they let me thru, I have to try it. If anyone has any useful tips or advice I would be grateful.

Its very unlikely you'll be entertained, no harm in trying though. As for travelling on it, not a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

Can someone please help me with this. Need to get a passport for my 10 year old son. His fathers name is on his birth cert but we have since divorced and he cannot be found for love nor money to get his signature on the form. Does anyone have experience of this that could give me some advice?
    Thanks for your help in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭chickenlittle

If you go to the dept of foreign affairs website, www.dfa.ie and go to the passport section there is info on children's passports. At the bottom of this page there is a link where you can print a 'sole guardian affadavit'. This has to be signed in presence of a solicitor or commissioner for oaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

Thanks a million :-)

If you were married then a sole guardian affadavit wont do. You either need to get his signature or a court order. An affadavit will only do if you are a sole guardian, in this case you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

So I'm going on holidays with firends in June, but my passport expires in May. I'm going to wait until I turn 18 next month before getting a new passport as apparently you can only get a 10 year one if you are 18, as opposed to the 5 year one i could get now. Anyway, my friend is booking the flights and said you need a passport number for each person, and I was wondering if I can just give them my current passport number and will that ok? Or can I update flight information when i get the new passport? Or am I OK to just arrive at the airport with a new passport as long as it's in date?

Thanks for the help!

Denis322 wrote: »
    So I'm going on holidays with firends in June, but my passport expires in May. I'm going to wait until I turn 18 next month before getting a new passport as apparently you can only get a 10 year one if you are 18, as opposed to the 5 year one i could get now. Anyway, my friend is booking the flights and said you need a passport number for each person, and I was wondering if I can just give them my current passport number and will that ok? Or can I update flight information when i get the new passport? Or am I OK to just arrive at the airport with a new passport as long as it's in date?

Thanks for the help!

No you don't, you only need the passport number when you check in online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 confused2212

Hi, just wondering if you could help me. I'm due to go away next week so I've been following the status of my passport online. Last night and all day today it had the second stage status "Passport being Checked" until 18.45 tonight and it reverted back to "Passport Application received and has been registered". Anyone have any idea why this would happen? Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

When I was getting my boyfriend's passport last year the online thing wasnt great either, but it did come on time.

Applied for my daughter's one 2 years ago I sent my passport a with her application and they never sent back mine with her one, they had to re issue a new one, got no explanation as to where mine went!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Just applying for a passport here. I never had one before. Just a few stupid questions

1. The name to appear on the passport. Do I have to put my middle name here? I don't use it or am I known by it.

2. What to include with the application? 4photos two signed by a guard. My birth certificate. Copy of my drivers licence. Will a black and white photo copy do??
    Evidence of use of name. Bank statement ok?
    Evidence of address. Will the same bank statement do or should I include something different?

Think that's it.

Thanks in advance

Just applying for a passport here. I never had one before. Just a few stupid questions

1. The name to appear on the passport. Do I have to put my middle name here? I don't use it or am I known by it.

2. What to include with the application? 4photos two signed by a guard. My birth certificate. Copy of my drivers licence. Will a black and white photo copy do??
    Evidence of use of name. Bank statement ok?
    Evidence of address. Will the same bank statement do or should I include something different?

Think that's it.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

the dfa website has the information, http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=84782:
    • a completed and suitably witnessed passport application form and four photographs, (two of which must have the application form number written on the reverse and be signed by an approved witness);
    • The Passport Service reserves the right to contact witnesses as required. Passport applicants should therefore note that where it is not possible make contact with those witnessing applications then it is likely that the application will be rejected.
    • the long form birth certificate of the applicant and a civil marriage certificate, if appropriate, and evidence of entitlement to Irish citizenship ,where applicable;
    • additional form of photo-identification; e.g. certified copy of a drivers licence, work ID; student card; social club membership; passport from other country etc.;
    • documentary evidence to show use of name, e.g. payslips; records of unemployment or disability payment; bank statement; college registration etc.; and
    • evidence of residency at the application address, e.g. utility bills; official correspondence from public or private sector etc.
    The above-mentioned should be submitted in original format.

The application form also says what you need to fill in, for name you put in the name as you want it to appear in the passport, if this is different from your birth cert then you'll definitely need proof of this name usage.

My passport is just first name and last name. I sent 1 payslip using that name.

I don't know if your black and white photocopy is ok, but be sure it's signed and stamped by a garda.
    Above it only says to submit "documentary evidence to show use of name", rather than "additional documentary evidence". However, I would submit an extra document with usage of your name, instead of the different document as proof of address, if that's hard to come by.
    Call them if you're in doubt, that's your best bet to get the "right" answer, especially if you're in a hurry and want to get it in the 10 working days.

On the application forms it just says a copy of your driving licence, nothing about it being signed by a garda but it says certified on the dfa website? Maybe best to print a colour copy and bring it to the station when I get it signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I didn't bring the copy to the guards to sign (well I did have the copy with me and the guard didn't ask about it at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

It's not guesswork. The above link, and the notes that come with the application form have everything you need to know. You dont really need to ask questions, because how do you know if the answers are right? Read the very clear instructions, follow them to the letter, and dont to anything else, and you will have a valid application.

exactly. And while it does not say "signed by a garda" it does say certified copy. As far as I know you can get this signed by a solicitor as well. But why bother finding a solicitor when you're already going to the station to get the form and photos signed and stamped?

It says certified on the dfa web site. It just says a copy on the passport form. So following the instructions on the form there is no need to get signed or stamped?

then do that. maybe they won't send it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Just after sending off a passport renewal there, do they get sent back as registered post or just regular post ??

dont want it bounced back because there may be no-one to sign for it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement