Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

So it's foolery to try and stall all the phonecalls then?

I dont know...the phones aren't being answered in ANY CASE.:mad::cool:

However, the leveller is the chit of paper you have which states two things...1) that you already paid your €80 and 2) the date upon which which you are supposed to collect your passport.

If you show up with proof of payment and a collection date, and they dont have it, then they can stall the phones all they like....as you are there in person with a representation from them to the effect that they would have your PP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

So it's foolery to try and stall all the phonecalls then?

Could be, could be

Or it could be a delaying tactic till the talks are done.

Or it could be a new process to provide the customer with timely updates to their application, to avoid stress on the general public :(

It would seem like a hell of a time to launch a new update mechanism though.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

Sorry, cannot shed any light on the queue's but I will be there tomorrow and will post results here.

In the meantime, it transpires, from what I can gather, that the phones are not being answered.

The regular number is "off the hook".

The low-call is being diverted to the Dept. of Foreign Aff. up on Stephens Green.

They said that if you have a docket for collection that this will be most likely good to go.

However, like everything else, they cannot confirm it.

Seems to be a lot of questions on the matter and not many answers. Would be beneficial if the DFA could post some useful information on the website re. what to do in different situations. I'll see you in the queue tomorrow!

dowlinj wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of questions on the matter and not many answers. Would be beneficial if the DFA could post some useful information on the website re. what to do in different situations. I'll see you in the queue tomorrow!

Looks that way, on all counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I got my passport today. Thank God! So I can emigrate on Saturday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sunny Girl

Hi, my 1st post!
    Travelling on 5th June and applying for passport for my daughter. Do you think i'll have enough time through passport express. If I go and queue am I guaranteed to walk away with her passport in my hand? Any advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 KimK

MB Lacey wrote: »
    For those who have been tracking their passport application online - how long were you on 'registered' status before receiving your passport?

And does 'registered' mean approved or is there another status after 'registered'?

Thanks

Hi MB Lacey,
    When I was tracking my son'd passport it said received on (the date) and is being checked for about 4 days, then it went to "application has been approved" 1 day later it when to "passport has been posted" and gave a AN POST tracking number. I received it the next day. That was last friday.
    I've been checking on my mothers application it was recieved on the 24th and being checked. There's been no change since but its being updated every few hours during the day. Last update was 18.45 today.
    I hope this helps ye out. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

As per the aerlingus.com website:

Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel

Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
    • Valid Passport
    • Driver's licence with photo
    • International student card
    • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    • Bus pass with photo
    • Work ID with photo
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

Just checked the status again....last update 18:45
    Have emailed last week and still no reply, travelling 7Apr, anyone any advice?
    If I go to the passport office tomorrow, would that improve the chances?

Sunny Girl wrote: »
    Hi, my 1st post!
    Travelling on 5th June and applying for passport for my daughter. Do you think i'll have enough time through passport express. If I go and queue am I guaranteed to walk away with her passport in my hand? Any advice

5th June should be loads of time. DFA website says 15-20 (working days) and normally it's 10. I'm travelling on April 29th and was considering applying through passport express but it seems a bit too close for comfort. I'm (very reluctantly) hitting Molesworth St. tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Paradoxaholic

Just checked the status again....last update 18:45
    Have emailed last week and still no reply, travelling 7Apr, anyone any advice?
    If I go to the passport office tomorrow, would that improve the chances?

You need to call them and keep calling them. Thats what i did. Travelling April 10th and now have my passport in hand. Received it today. Persistence is the Key!
    Goodluck and best wishes!
    ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Quick question here guys re: getting a British passport? My Mother was born in 1952 (in ROI) and her Irish father was born in Ireland (1890's) when Ireland was part of the United Kingdom and under British rule. I wonder would she be entitled to a British passport as her father was a British citizen? Also if she was entitled to one could I then apply for a British passport if my mother got one? I was born in Ireland in the 1980's!

You need to call them and keep calling them. Thats what i did. Travelling April 10th and now have my passport in hand. Received it today. Persistence is the Key!
    Goodluck and best wishes!
    ;)

What date did you send your passport off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Can anybody give an update on the length of queues these days?
    I was in line at 4am last week ad got sorted thankfully, but I've a mate who has been told that her passport will be ready for collection on Thursday 1st April. (sent off 8th March I think via express)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Does anyone have direct contact details for Joseph Nugent ?

The staff in the passport office tell me that they cannot prioritize people who have an urgent need for passports for immediate travel due to a recent management policy of processing strictly by application date.

In the light of the agreement last night between the unions and the government we need to get this policy lifted so that no more people will miss their holidays and business meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Stinicker wrote: »
    Quick question here guys re: getting a British passport? My Mother was born in 1952 (in ROI) and her Irish father was born in Ireland (1890's) when Ireland was part of the United Kingdom and under British rule. I wonder would she be entitled to a British passport as her father was a British citizen? Also if she was entitled to one could I then apply for a British passport if my mother got one? I was born in Ireland in the 1980's!

For people who were born before 1950 (possibly 1949), their children can get British passports, I don't think it passes on to grandchildren though.

My sister is there at the moment, 62 tickets ahead of her in the queue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mam2to

Hi there, Have applied for my kids passports for first time and submitted both mine and my husbands with their application ( I know now that I could have just sent a copy but the post office directed me). It says that the application was received on the 9th March, it was being checked for ages and then today is was updated at 7.45 to say registered.

Am beginning to panic now because we are due to fly out on the 10th April and with Easter and everything I have only got 6 working days to get them into my hand. I have emailed having followed other posters advices but .... should I go and queue? Does anyone know what the other stages and how long they take to complete? as in mine was being checked from 9th until 30th, it will be registered from 30th until ... ?

Thanks in advance! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mam2to

Oh dear....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CHAS2010

hi all
    can any one shed a bit of light on this please, i know most have used an post serives, but im in belfast so used the royalmail 10day service. Dublin got it on the 9th, said checking, updated on the 15th saying the same then yesterday said
    ''
    Application No. xxxxx. Received on 09/03/2010 and has been registered.
    ''

Does anyone know what this means, going away on the 15th of april so need it asap.

also if i have to go down to Dublin, where is ''good'' to park i'l be leaving here around 3am so not sure if there's anywhere open to park(arrive around 4.30am Dublin)?

Also what all would i need to bring? i have the flight details only, they have my old passport and birth cert.

thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CHAS2010

mam2to wrote: »
    me). It says that the application was received on the 9th March, it was being checked for ages and then today is was updated at 7.45 to say registered.

Our's was sent in the 9th of March as well so will update you with the status of it when I know.

hi thanks, any joy with someone on the other end of the phone?

i got through twice on the NI 0845 number but they stated they where not the passport office!! then on their actual number was on hold for over an hour. no joy at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 craigj

My sister is there at the moment, 62 tickets ahead of her in the queue

What time did she start queuing at ?

Thanks

craigj wrote: »
    What time did she start queuing at ?

Thanks

10.30!

Okay, went in, with my "Collection" ticket....no passport...apparently not o even near being done.

So I got sent downstairs to "Customer Care" who asked when I was travelling and said they would see what they could do.

:mad::mad:

Mine spent 12 days being checked, and is now "registered" .....:rolleyes:

I was in line at 4am last week ad got sorted thankfully, but I've a mate who has been told that her passport will be ready for collection on Thursday 1st April. (sent off 8th March I think via express)

I went down this morning. Arrived around 8:30 and they let us in soon after. The queue wasn't overly long. The majority of punters started coming in around 9. I was number 18 in the "applications" queue. The queries queue seems to be longer. I was out of there by 10. Passport should be ready for April 15th which is fine for me as not heading off until 29th.

The earlier you get there the better but it depends on what's needed. My case didn't require any special attention.

The lady at the desk said there's big backlogs with passport express and that the passport office's backlogs aren't too bad.

My advise would be to go in if you need one by the end of April, otherwise use passport express.

Obviously, if you need one urgently, get down there and queue!

I didn't use passport express.

On the 14th of March, and 15th of March, the Post Office refused to take my application on the grounds that it would get bogged down with Passport Express.

So I travelled in, in person, on the 16th, and got the yarn about the flooding.

Not open 17th, La Feile etc.

Went in 18th, and was told to come back in, in person, today, March 30th.

Was given a collection slip to that effect, official as you like.

Showed up, and nothing there to collect. Told I wasn't anywhere near being ready.

Got sent to customer care...and only for the kindness of a lady who knew I had been there since 06:30am I would have been waiting ages for that too.

Explained to the Customer Care lady what the story was, she took my details and told me to check the online service again tonight, that she was going to do her best for me.

If the online tracker is stating that your application has been "Registered" then you can forget it...until it states in more affirmative terms that your passport is available for collection.

"Registered" is NOT the final stage, Not even close, apparently.

Application sent Passport Express 9th March, went to passport office today due to lack of responce via phone and email.
    Clerk advised that the passport is being 'checked' at present and should be in the post either today or tomorrow!

Application sent Passport Express 9th March, went to passport office today due to lack of responce via phone and email.
    Clerk advised that the passport is being 'checked' at present and should be in the post either today or tomorrow!

Good for you!!;)

I went into the Post Office only 5 days after you and they weren't interested! Said it was in my best interests to go to the Passport Office proper. And thats where my fun and games began.

Today, the sleet bashed its way up Molesworth street from Dawson street. I stood in that for 2 hours to be told that they had nothing for me.

My advice is that it is better to show up at 9AM and queue inside rather than out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dimma

Mine went from being application recieved on the 9/3/2010 and being checked to application has being registered yesterday, and today passport is printed and will issue no later than the 19/03/2010 which was updated today at 13.45, so yesterday it was just registered and today it will issue 10 days ago!!! what does this mean,,anybody else getting this and what is the next step,,is this just a auto step as its by default 10 days after passport was recieved, ie 9 march to 19th march=10 days!!!

Not in a hurry for it but don't want it to get lost or something like this!!!!
    Should I just wait or is it lost???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement