Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

You can ask in Israel to have a slip of card stamped and put into your passport instead of having them stamp the actual passport itself, this is what I did and there wasn't any problem. It depends on who you get though, the official I dealt with was lovely and it was no problem but in the queue next to me someone with the same request just had their passport stamped anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Does there need to be a minimum validity left on your passport before you can renew it? I've three years left on my current passport but would like to renew it for a new ten year one now. Is that possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

bopper wrote: »
    Does there need to be a minimum validity left on your passport before you can renew it? I've three years left on my current passport but would like to renew it for a new ten year one now. Is that possible?

Yes, you can renew at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

When I get a new passport, will the country have any way of knowing?

Only if you bring your old passport with you and show it to them.

But why would anyone do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I know someone who had a UK and an Irish passport when travelling to Palestine. At the Israeli Border control at the airport her bags were searched and she was questioned by the IDF because they found the 2nd passport.
    They eventually let her through but someone followed them from the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Zebra3 wrote: »

A fresh start, much like the motivation for long-term travel.

Zebra3 wrote: »

It will make things easier a few years down the line when trying to extend an overseas work permit. Thanks everyone for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭StevieNicksFan

I signed my form in the presence of a Garda and I went slightly over the line. I didnt want to have to do out the whole form again so I just posted it to get it out of my sight! Should I now expect it to be returned to me because of that or are they generally ok?

Just thought I would update on this. I went to passport tracking yesterday and they said that my passport could not be processed and the application will be returned to me. I thought ok fair enough, I thought this might happen, i'll just be more careful next time.

The passport arrived this morning! What's that about? Went on to tracking again just to see and it still says my application could not be processed. Here I am with the new passport in my hand! Ah well, happy out...great service though I must say. Got here quite quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

i had a missed call/voice msg from a woman in the passport office yesterday evening. She didnt say what she wanted but said she would ring back today.
    I tried calling the passport office today loads of times but kept getting a msg they were busy. Emailed them to phone me. I never heard anything from them today.
    Now they recieved the application on the 21st so I thought I would have it back today or monday.. I take it they only phone if there is a problem??
    It says on the passport tracker that it is been recieved and is being checked..

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mine was saying Received for a few days.

Took only 8 business days in total with express :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 SarahFN

Hi my good friend who is over on a student visa from the congo has lost his passport in dublin city last night! I know the likelihood of finding it again but how or even where does someone go from the congo to find out how to go about getting a new passport?

SarahFN wrote: »
    Hi my good friend who is over on a student visa from the congo has lost his passport in dublin city last night! I know the likelihood of finding it again but how or even where does someone go from the congo to find out how to go about getting a new passport?

He needs to contact his nearest embassy or consulate. Nearest one seems to be London.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SarahFN

Yes the nearest one does seem to be in London I was hoping there would be somewhere here in Ireland that we could go in and speak to I guess not thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

not sure where to post this but i am sure it may be moved if there is a better thread area for it.

my pasport is out of date . do i apply for a new one or do i get a renual .
    I looked at the department of foreign affairs web page and a passport now costs €80 is that realy the price !!!!

i dont remember what i paid if i did ten years ago .

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Try here OP.
    AH > Travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

thanks Davet82 !!!
    yea though i might use the old green driving licence and cut the photo out of that !!! great !!!
    ah go on try give me some real info !!
    i guess i got to go pay €80 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maggie Benson

Planning to travel to Australia in July for a 6-week holiday. However my current passport expires in mid May 2013.
    Is there a time frame to meet when I renew my passport in May. In other words has it to be valid for a certain number of months before travelling?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,253 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Planning to travel to Australia in July for a 6-week holiday. However my current passport expires in mid May 2013.
    Is there a time frame to meet when I renew my passport in May. In other words has it to be valid for a certain number of months before travelling?
    Thanks in advance.

No you can travel as soon as you have your new passport in your possession

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hi All.

Quick question.

Myself and herself are applying for our childs passport.

Does this need to be WITNESSED by someone who is an accountant , teacher etc etc and personally known.

I know the form says so but is there anyone else who can sign this ?

• Advertisement

If you're in Ireland, go to a Garda station. Bring ID for both yourself and your partner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

MarkMc wrote: »
    If you're in Ireland, go to a Garda station. Bring ID for both yourself and your partner

Section 7 - APS1e

Note to Witnesses: Parents / Guardians must sign in your presence and must be personally known to you or identified to you by someone known to you, who is not related to them. you may be contacted to confirm the validity of your sign

Just wondering is this something the Guards will sign, or do we need to get someone else

The Guards will sign it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

My passport was stolen along with my bad around xmas, I applied for a new passport at the start of Jan. I didnt know about passport express and I wasnt told about it when I went to the post office so I just register posted my application. the passport office received my application on 7/1/13 and I have been tracking it online. It has given my issue date as 8/2/13 since the beginning. I am due to fly out of Ireland on 21/2/13 and there is still no sign of my passport even though its now the 12th. It still just says application received. I have tried ringing the passport office and they just keep fobbing me off saying it will arrive in time. Its really stressing me out at this stage. How di I go about paying the money for the 3 days turnaround passport. when I rang and asked the woman just told me they cant do it yet, that it will be grand etc etc :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You will be grand. You can't change the status of the application by paying extra when it's already in the system. People using passport express on here are getting the passports in 8 days, so if they've told you it will be with you before the 21st then it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

You will be grand. You can't change the status of the application by paying extra when it's already in the system. People using passport express on here are getting the passports in 8 days, so if they've told you it will be with you before the 21st then it will.

I rang again there and she said she was going to get me moved up the list and she was confident it would get to me by the 21st, Just very stressed out over it :(

When you renew your current passport does it get sent back along with the new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

yes, corners get clipped on it.

They also stamp CANCELLED on a number of the pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Hi all, I have a trip booked to America from June 14-24

My passport which was a 10 year one expires on July 09, will this be a problem? I presume I won't need to get a new passport for this trip?

People are saying to me it's dodgy because it expires so soon after the trip,I don't think so myself, anyone got any ideas for me, thanks.

• Advertisement

Wrong forum, but I'll answer it anyway.

You're fine, the Americans issue a Visa Waiver for 3 months or the duration of your passport (Irish passports + a few others only).

Therefore, your Visa Waiver will be issued up to 09/07/2013. Make sure your passport meets their other requirements though. Go to DFA.ie and The Dublin US Embassy website for info.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement