Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You need a new one, you generally need 3-6 months validity for entry for most countries outside the EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

You need a new one, you generally need 3-6 months validity for entry for most countries outside the EU

No you don't ;) Common myth that cause lots of panic and unnecessary problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Yeah sorry about that, i didn't know which forum this should go in!

Thanks for the input anyway!

Yeah sorry about that, i didn't know which forum this should go in!

Thanks for the input anyway!

No problem, fyi just incase you need to find it for future reference, theres a Passport megathread in the travel forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

MarkMc wrote: »
    No you don't ;) Common myth that cause lots of panic and unnecessary problems

How certain are we here lads, you can't both be right!

• Advertisement

How certain are we here lads, you can't both be right!

I'm 100%, I'm ex department of foreign affairs. I'll dig up a link if you give me a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

No he doesn't. An Irish passport only needs to be valid for the duration of the stay in the US.

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/consular/validity-of-irish/eu-passports.html

Davetherave beat me too it, thats the link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The US by default requires 6 months.

The waiver from that assumes you hold an Irish passport or others and qualify under visa wavier.

It is advisable to have 6 months on the passport to ensure smooth passage worldwide without issues. It is best practice, 17 countries visited last year...

The US by default requires 6 months.

The waiver from that assumes you hold an Irish passport or others and qualify under visa wavier.

It is advisable to have 6 months on the passport to ensure smooth passage worldwide without issues. It is best practice, 17 countries visited last year...

The OP is fine with the validity they have. Don't confuse things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jambalap

I have applied for passport through passport express and I got number PX066xxx630IE for tracking purpose but when I try to track the passport using the above number at http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=2859 I am getting the application not found or not yet registered. I applied on Saturday 16th. Am I using the right number for tracking purpose?

jambalap wrote: »
    I have applied for passport through passport express and I got number PX066xxx630IE for tracking purpose but when I try to track the passport using the above number at http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=2859 I am getting the application not found or not yet registered. I applied on Saturday 16th. Am I using the right number for tracking purpose?

Do you have another number as well? Might start with 10 if memory serves

Also, today is the next working day, so it may not have arrived yet

MarkMc wrote: »
    Do you have another number as well? Might start with 10 if memory serves

Where do I find this number. I have been given payment slip by post office will I find the number on the slip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

the application form has a sticky strip that you can detach and keep. That's the number you should use for tracking your passport. There's also a shorter number on the application form in red, but I don't think that's used for tracking.
    It sounds like you're out of luck if you didn't write down the number or keep the strip.

The number you gave looks like the anpost code for a sent postal item. They usually end in IE and start with some other 2 letters, e.g. PX or PP.

Gatica wrote: »
    the application form has a sticky strip that you can detach and keep. That's the number you should use for tracking your passport. There's also a shorter number on the application form in red, but I don't think that's used for tracking.
    It sounds like you're out of luck if you didn't write down the number or keep the strip.

The number you gave looks like the anpost code for a sent postal item. They usually end in IE and start with some other 2 letters, e.g. PX or PP.

unfortunately I didn't note down the number that you are talking about will talk to post office guys If I can get the number anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Hi all,

My passport expired during December and I'll be applying for a new one within the next few weeks.

I'm just wondering, when my new passport comes, will it be dated from the date my old passport lapsed, or will it be dated from the time I apply for a new one?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Gatica wrote: »

Did you keep the receipt you got in the post office?? The number will be on there. It'll be 11 digits starting in 10xxxxxxxxx.

Your application will be in the Passport Office tomorrow. The number you have is the An Post tracking number. You can track it as far as the passport office with that number.

If you don't have the receipt from the post office call the passport office after tomorrow quoting the PX number and they should be able to give you your proper tracking number.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

From the day they issue it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

A bunch of us are booking a stag to the UK for June and I noticed this morning that my passport is out of date. Going on what it says on their web I think that I only need my passport number etc. when I do online check in rather than at the time of booking? I just want to confirm that bookings can be completed without that information.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You are correct.
    Only reqd for online checkin

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

No you don't need your passport until you check in for your flight so plenty of time to get sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BoySnowie

We are applying for an Irish passport for our child. Our kid has 4 forenames in his birth certificate, bringing it to 5 names (including our surname).

We wonder how many forenames are allowed in the Irish passport? Standard practices implies the first two forenames but will 4 forenames be allowed in the passport?

Please advise :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

brophs wrote: »
    A bunch of us are booking a stag to the UK for June and I noticed this morning that my passport is out of date. Going on what it says on their web I think that I only need my passport number etc. when I do online check in rather than at the time of booking? I just want to confirm that bookings can be completed without that information.

Thanks.

Yep your right, you need to include your passport details when checking in online not for booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58834546

Here you go OP, ask a Mod to merge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

From Parenting

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

BoySnowie wrote: »
    We are applying for an Irish passport for our child. Our kid has 4 forenames in his birth certificate, bringing it to 5 names (including our surname).

We wonder how many forenames are allowed in the Irish passport? Standard practices implies the first two forenames but will 4 forenames be allowed in the passport?

Please advise :confused:

The issue won't be how many names but how many letters in the names. If they're only short forenames there'll be no problem fittinf them in. If you want them all on the passport put it on the form - if they cant fit them all in they'll call you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

netopia wrote: »
    The issue won't be how many names but how many letters in the names. If they're only short forenames there'll be no problem fittinf them in. If you want them all on the passport put it on the form - if they cant fit them all in they'll call you.

There is a separate section that lets you put in the full name, you put in the forenames, cant remember on the form how it is but it goe sin under observations, before the plastic section, it does allow you to enter your birth certificate name also. I use a different middle name to my birthcertificate so my birth name is included there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I did that. I put for my passport name first/last, but asked them to put that my birth cert has first/middle/last in the observation sections (just in case yakno) when my passport came back there was nothing mentioning the first/middle/last in the obs!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement