Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

hdowney wrote: »
    I did that. I put for my passport name first/last, but asked them to put that my birth cert has first/middle/last in the observation sections (just in case yakno) when my passport came back there was nothing mentioning the first/middle/last in the obs!

If the name printed on the passport is the exact same as you birth certificate name you don't get an observation, it says it on the form - which wasn't the case for you - but it also won't be done if you don't submit your birth certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I'm applying to renew my passport from the UK. The GPs and Police won't fill out the certificate of identity section as they don't know me personally (which I would have assumed was a positive with regards to the police). I have a friend who is a dentist who can fill it out, but he doesn't have a work stamp-only a personal stamp with his name and home address-will this suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Also anyone based in London used the passport express service? How long did it take to arrive there? Travelling start of April so need it by then. Think it should be ok if I sen application off next week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hi All.

So we applied for a child passport, he's 14 weeks old.

My missus forgot to put in her passport with the application and it's been declined, we fly out next thursday morning.

If I call down to the passport office monday with herself and the baby, i believe it's off grafton street? whats the chances of getting a childs passport for wednesday, we don't care about the extra cost involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

netopia wrote: »
    If the name printed on the passport is the exact same as you birth certificate name you don't get an observation, it says it on the form - which wasn't the case for you - but it also won't be done if you don't submit your birth certificate.

Thing is I DID put in my birth cert. I HAD to it was my first Irish passport so I dunno what went wrong there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Pippin IV

going to England next friday.. now see my passport out of date.. know you can get an emergency passport if you prove you are travelling ... do I have to go to the Passport office myself or can someone bring all the documentation for me to the Passport office?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Pippin IV wrote: »
    going to England next friday.. now see my passport out of date.. know you can get an emergency passport if you prove you are travelling ... do I have to go to the Passport office myself or can someone bring all the documentation for me to the Passport office?

Unless you're flying Ryanair a valid passport is not required for travel between Ireland and England, assuming you're either a British or an Irish citizen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

A few questions...

I accidentally filled in my surname in the place for second names on the form. I've crossed it out and put in my second name instead. Is this ok?

Second question. I'm applying for my first passport. I don't receive any bills in my name to my home address. I get payslips though.You're meant to provide separate proof of use of name and address, bills being the main way of proving the latter. It says letters from the public or private sector would also suffice. Would a letter from a bank be ok?

I've finding this whole passport application process very frustrating!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

MarkMc wrote: »

No you don't ;) Common myth that cause lots of panic and unnecessary problems

Try telling that to the Russian embassy. They insist on at least six months on your passport. You will be refused a travel visa point blank. So it's far from a myth for a lot of countries. It's also stated on their website and documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

dambarude wrote: »
    A few questions...

I accidentally filled in my surname in the place for second names on the form. I've crossed it out and put in my second name instead. Is this ok?

Second question. I'm applying for my first passport. I don't receive any bills in my name to my home address. I get payslips though.You're meant to provide separate proof of use of name and address, bills being the main way of proving the latter. It says letters from the public or private sector would also suffice. Would a letter from a bank be ok?

I've finding this whole passport application process very frustrating!

If you have the other documentation in order it should be no problem.

In relation to the other documentation you would need to submit because this will be your first passport, you will need to post in Proof of name and Proof of address. Both a letter from a bank and a payslip (one of them would need to have your address on it) should be ok.
    You will also need to provide a Photo-ID, for example a work-ID, buspass, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

phoenix999 wrote: »
    Try telling that to the Russian embassy. They insist on at least six months on your passport. You will be refused a travel visa point blank. So it's far from a myth for a lot of countries. It's also stated on their website and documentation.

Thats if you're applying for a visa. Obviously always check the countries individual requirements. I'm just fed up of people telling others that they need 6 months for the US

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

MarkMc wrote: »

Thats if you're applying for a visa. Obviously always check the countries individual requirements. I'm just fed up of people telling others that they need 6 months for the US

Well there's no other way of visiting Russia other than with a visa, even as a tourist. So as you suggest, people need to check the requirements for each country on their itinerary. It can prove to be an expensive mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 audreycronin

Hi guys. I applied for my passport via passport express on sat 23/02/13.
    checked the site and is says application recieved and registered etc and issue dade 11.03.13. what does that mean? does it mean it will be sent then etc? I go away 20th april so hope to have pass port back by then:D

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Hi guys. I applied for my passport via passport express on sat 23/02/13.
    checked the site and is says application recieved and registered etc and issue dade 11.03.13. what does that mean? does it mean it will be sent then etc? I go away 20th april so hope to have pass port back by then:D

You will have it by then, passport express should get to you around that date.

Took mine 9 days (i think) a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

hey, I am in Canada so renewing my passport is a huge mess. My question is how many numbers is a tracking number? I just want to make sure I have the right one, it's the number with the barcode sticker right? I sent my passport over a month ago to the irish embassy and it is yet to appear on the irish tracking website.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Hi Guys

I booked flights using my old passport. I've only just realised the number on my new passport differs from the old one.

I presume this is an unfavourable situation.

Any suggestions as to what I can do??

Would it be best to contact the airline and get booking amended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭johnolocher

Id say call the airline they will change it (for a fee).

If it's with Ryanair to the UK without checked in baggage, I'd say you'll be fine as it is the only person who looks at your passport with your boarding pass is the people at the departure gate and then it's only a quick glance at the name/ photo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Hi Guys

I booked flights using my old passport. I've only just realised the number on my new passport differs from the old one.

I presume this is an unfavourable situation.

Any suggestions as to what I can do??

Would it be best to contact the airline and get booking amended?

If it's Ryanair, my last boarding pass did not include any reference to my passport number - I know they used to but my one from last summer doesn't have it on it.

Otherwise I'd ring the airline but if they try to charge you I'd check how far you can get checking in online without having to include the passport number. Aer Lingus for the UK this weekend gone by didn't require passport details when checking in online or at the desk (as in didn't get printed on the boarding pass).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

My boyfriend applied for his new passport via regular post (DON'T ASK!) and sent off his application with his old passport. That was a month ago. I know it says on the dfa website to allow 8 weeks but does anyone know if these are processed any faster than 8 weeks? We're trying to book our appointment with the Registrar of Marriages and this is the only thing holding us up. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I don't know what happens via regular post...
    However, you can still have your appointment with the marriage registrar and give your 3 month notice of intent to marry. That will be the date used as the date of notice, once you're in the books. They'll just issue you with a list of missing documentation, which you can produce on a subsequent visit. We had to do that as I had to wait for a foreign birth cert. They'll need you both there for signing the final marriage licence document.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Gatica wrote: »
    I don't know what happens via regular post...
    However, you can still have your appointment with the marriage registrar and give your 3 month notice of intent to marry. That will be the date used as the date of notice, once you're in the books. They'll just issue you with a list of missing documentation, which you can produce on a subsequent visit. We had to do that as I had to wait for a foreign birth cert. They'll need you both there for signing the final marriage licence document.

Thanks for that Gatica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 huitzilopochtli

I'm going about changing my name by deed poll but my passport seems like it's going to be an issue. Apparently I have to get my name (not even sure if my old name or one I'm changing to) entered as an observation. Does anyone know what this means and/or how I do it?

I'm going about changing my name by deed poll but my passport seems like it's going to be an issue. Apparently I have to get my name (not even sure if my old name or one I'm changing to) entered as an observation. Does anyone know what this means and/or how I do it?

You actually won't be allowed change your passport name (even if you have a deed poll) without showing the Passport Office 2 years proof of usage of the changed name.

If you do have the required proof of usage you won't need to have the observation (of your birth name).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 audreycronin

Hi. I sent off to renew my passport 2 weeks ago. I have been checkig the status of it online & got this message today about it

Application No . This application could not be processed. A letter outlining the reasons for this decision has been posted to you. If you have not received this within two days, please contact An Post at http://track.anpost.ie/track.html or contact their Customer Care service at 1850 575859 and quote the following envelope reference

could u tell me why this is? I am due to go away on april 20th. Does this mean i now have to pay for my passport again? after paying for the passport and the express fee?

Hi. I sent off to renew my passport 2 weeks ago. I have been checkig the status of it online & got this message today about it

Application No . This application could not be processed. A letter outlining the reasons for this decision has been posted to you. If you have not received this within two days, please contact An Post at http://track.anpost.ie/track.html or contact their Customer Care service at 1850 575859 and quote the following envelope reference

could u tell me why this is? I am due to go away on april 20th. Does this mean i now have to pay for my passport again? after paying for the passport and the express fee?

Your application has been rejected for some reason. Expect a letter from the Passport Office (perhaps on Monday) to tell you what you have to do to resolve the issue.

You won't have to pay again.

Just deal with whatever they ask you for straight away & you'll have your passport in plenty of time for travel on April 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

i stupidly did this and it took 14 weeks to come back...got it just 3 days in time for holidays.never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Hi All,

i have a flight to London this Thursday with ryanair

I have just realised that my passport is out of date, could I use some other form of ID for this flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

As far as I know, Ryanair only accept passports. If it was Aerlingus, on the other hand, you would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I was looking on the website and it says that they only accept passports but then there is a bit saying that they accept IDs who are for the sole purpose of identification (i.e no drivers licence etc.) so would an age card work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

From Ryanair's website

THE ONLY FORMS OF TRAVEL DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED ON RYANAIR FLIGHTS ARE:
    • A valid passport
    • A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. (Only the following EEA countries currentlyissue National Identity Cards acceptable for carriage on Ryanair flights: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden (not accepted on non Schengen flights), Switzerland)
    • A valid German Government issued ‘Kinderausweis’ travel document
    • A valid Spanish Family Book (for use by children under 14 years travelling with their parents/legal guardians on Spanish domestic flights only)
    • A valid Italian ‘Certificato Di Nascita’ with photo (for use by children under 16 years) which has been endorsed as ‘VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO’ for travel on international flights, no endorsement is required when travelling on Italian domestic flights.. It is the passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that this document meets the requirements of immigration and other governmental authorities at the destination airport.
    • A valid Italian AT/BT card (for Italian domestic flights only).
    • A valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, by a Government in place of a valid passport.)
    • A valid Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 27 of the 1954 UN Convention for Stateless Persons, by a contracting state in place of a valid passport)
    • A valid Collective Passport issued by an EU/EEA country

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement