Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

passport only so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

Hi all, flying to UK with Ryanair on Saturday and have just realised my passport is out of date. How long would an emergency passport take to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

username_x wrote: »
    Hi all, flying to UK with Ryanair on Saturday and have just realised my passport is out of date. How long would an emergency passport take to get?

Bring your completed application and your proof of travel to your nearest passport office, you should get it on friday. Do it tomorrow though

Thanks! I've also read that there is a different way of approaching it where the passport will cost €110 but only be valid for a certain amount of time. How would I go about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

username_x wrote: »
    Thanks! I've also read that there is a different way of approaching it where the passport will cost €110 but only be valid for a certain amount of time. How would I go about this?

Thats only a temp passport. The €150? option that I've told you about is a 10 year

Edit: the temp is only 6 months max, you'd have to pay €88.50 in 6 months time

• Advertisement

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭PenguinForce

Hi all, I'm helping my parents to renew their passport but I got a few question regarding documents that are needed when we are going to the Garda station and what kind of document are needed when we are sending off the passport. So here comes the questions.

Do we need to bring some form of proof of citizenship to the Garda station? Our category of citizenship is "naturalisation" so do we need to bring document to proof this or will the Irish passport be enough?

Is my parent's marriage certificate necessary when we are going to Garda station for verification? And does a copy of the marriage certificate needed to be submitted to the passport office?

Also a question is regarding the payment option. My mother is quite cautious with losing documents and she heard from relatives that their passport was mailed to another address. So she want to go to the passport office in town to renew their passports instead of using passport express. On the form it just gives you 4 options for payment but since we are going to the passport office do we just leave them blank since there's no "pay by cash" option on the form?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MRG77

Do they already have Irish Passports? If so, just go into the local Garda station with the old passport, photos and application form and they will sign the form and the back of the photos. That's all you need to do. You don't birth certs or marriage certs or anything else. They are renewing their passport so all these things would have been submitted already in the first application, no need for them for a renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭PenguinForce

Thanks MRG77, yes they do have an Irish passport I just thought garda/passport office might want some sort of evidence of the citzenship through naturalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

that is only required for first time applicants.

• Advertisement

For anyone who's followed this thread (Quick Summary)
    Gatica wrote: »
    I applied for my first Irish passport. I got the documents back with a letter asking to submit my national passport.
    I called them this morning, and apparently for first time application for naturalised citizens, you do have to submit a current or latest passport by which you either left the country of birth or entered Ireland. Doesn't say it on the website, but by the way I was told this, they implied that this is standard procedure and I should've known that. Don't know how though...
    Well, I didn't submit my "other" passport and neither did my wife, when we applied for our first Irish passports on 15th October this year via Passport Express
    Certified proof of ID and photographs confirm identity.
    ... they accept (or at least they used to accept) a photocopy of the photo page of an expired Irish passport as proof of citizenship for a renewal application...

I'm guessing this also worked as proof of ID before, and maybe still works for Irish-born citizens now. Not for the naturalised ones by the looks of it though.
    Photo ID is required, sure, but according to the DFA website that can be a certified copy of a drivers licence, work ID; student card; social club membership; passport from other country etc.;
    Irish citizens by naturalisation are currently being requested to submit their foreign passport in addition to regular photo ID, examples of which are above.
    Yes, that is exactly the case. I had sent a certified copy of my driver's licence. The passport I had to send in had to be the original, a certified copy the authenticity of which could easily be checked by the Garda was not acceptable.
    I called back to ask when this requirement came into effect since up until October no one else was requested for it, she said she didn't know when but that it was indeed required to submit a passport from "your country".
    the person on the phone told me that now (and she didn't say from when) you do need to submit a passport with the application. However, since an applicant such as myself cannot foresee that they will require this, and it does not state it on their website, they are basically excluding people like me from the express service by extension, since the application is sure to be delayed by their request for a passport.
    After you get your passport, perhaps think about raising this with the equality authority?
    ... If we were asked for our foreign passports, I'd have said no and, if necessary, complained at EU level....
    I would make sure to follow it up with a complaint just so no one else is forced to do it.

If anyone is curious about how this went... I wrote a letter to the passport office raising the points above and the reply said this:
    All first time applicants must provide proof of identity and we always ask for photographic ID, this is easiest to do if the applicant has already another passport or national ID card and these are always asked for, some people submit driving licences but as you must have that on you at all times it is easier for applicants to submit other passport as photo ID if they have them.
    I didn't get an option to submit a national ID card instead, which I do have. I was asked specifically for my "national passport". So basically they won't even admit that they're not asking for these documents off Irish-born citizens, only naturalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

If anyone is curious about how this went... I wrote a letter to the passport office raising the points above and the reply said this:

I didn't get an option to submit a national ID card instead, which I do have. I was asked specifically for my "national passport". So basically they won't even admit that they're not asking for these documents off Irish-born citizens, only naturalised.

Typical Irish civil servant reply, to be honest. To paraphrase their response:

"I know we're not being completely straight with you but we don't really care that much anyway. You may feel put out, but I'm not put out, and that's all I care about. Sorry, what was the question again? You got your passport, you did? Sure what's the issue then?".

"You got your passport, you did? Sure what's the issue then?".

LOL, funny you should say that... the email ended with:
    I see from the file that you have received your passport so it ends well.

This had nothing to do with my question really. Ah well, I really don't know what else I could do... Like you said. It doesn't seem like they care one way or another....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

LOL, funny you should say that... the email ended with:

This had nothing to do with my question really. Ah well, I really don't know what else I could do... Like you said. It doesn't seem like they care one way or another....

Bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

Does anyone have experience with the passport tracking system (on www.dfa.ie)?

My application for a first passport initially went through the "registered" and "being checked" stages, before showing "This application could not be processed...". I received a letter asking for extra documents, and sent them immediately, but as yet the status hasn't changed.

What status normally comes after "This application could not be processed..."?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jdizzler

Flying out to NY in a fortnights time,booked tickets with ebookers,even though I gave them my full name that's on my passport (first,middle and last) they left out my middle name on the eticket. Flying with United..should this cause a problem?! Even from filling out the ESTA form they say not to include your middle name when applying.. Any help greatly appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

joebre wrote: »
    My friend rang Aer Lingus today and they corrected the name immediately , at no extra cost.
    I don't believe that Ryanair would be as accommodating !

Ryanair have changed spelling issue on my booking FOC before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

jdizzler wrote: »
    Flying out to NY in a fortnights time,booked tickets with ebookers,even though I gave them my full name that's on my passport (first,middle and last) they left out my middle name on the eticket. Flying with United..should this cause a problem?! Even from filling out the ESTA form they say not to include your middle name when applying.. Any help greatly appreciated!!

It's no problem at all. I fly United loads and never put in my middle name. Don't think I have ever put in a middle name on any airline I have ever flown including Lufthansa

• Hi,

I’m in a bit of a difficult situation at the moment and with my passport application.

I applied for a new passport on the 28th of Feb . I posted in all the information in an envelope and sent it myself as registered post, I now know I should have sent it by Passport Express. I was not aware at the time about passport express, I presumed “stupidly” that registered post was the way to send in my passport. I have now learned that this request could now in fact take 6 weeks and therefore I would not have my new passport by time I leave for Poland.
    Another stupid thing I did was not to take note of the Passport Application Number, so my passport is now sitting in a box in the office waiting to get put onto the system.
    Can anyone tell me have they been in a similar situation and how long it took then to get their passport?

Thanks,
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I haven't been in that situation although I did apply for a passport recently and when I had my photos stamped & signed in the police station they made a note in their book which likely included the reference number from the form so it might be possible to get the number if you go back to the same station. At least that way you'd have a reference if you ring them up or check online.

• Advertisement

• That's an excellent idea, I think you are right about them taking down the application number.
    Now I hit my next problem, my local garda station where I got my passport witnessed is in Stepaside, which....... is now closed!!!

Ahhhh.

Cheers John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

well just go to Dundrum Garda Station where all the Stepaside info was moved to.

Also, you should move this query into the passport thread above.

• Yea Dundrum cant find the Stepaside book with the info.

Apologies to the MOD's, didn't read the sticky!

• Has anyone sent their passport without using Passport Express, i.e. normal post?

Did you get the passport on the Issue Date they state on the passport tracking web page?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

has anyone sent in a first time application since the 13th of March through passport express?
    I have checked the status and its still on the first stage and I had emailed but they said it would be dealt with within 10 days which doesn't make sense as today it would be 10 days:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 alidxx

hey everyone,
    I sent passport express on the 14th of this month. I stupidly stupidly forgot about all the bank holidays. Im flying to malta to book my wedding on the 2nd of april and when i check online my issue date is the 2nd. does this mean it will be posted on the 2nd or that i will receive it on the 2nd?
    I went up to the passport office today but was quickly awakened to the fact noting was going to be done for me as my passport is in the ballbriggan office. I was told i just have to wait and see if i get it and if not i wont be going.
    Is there anything more i can do??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I sent mine in on the 11th and got it back in the post on the 22nd - the online system said the publish date would be the 26th - so you might get it by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 alidxx

i hope so. The woman in the passport office was very ignorant and did not want to help at all. I really hope i get it

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

Does anyone have experience with the passport tracking system (on www.dfa.ie)?

My application for a first passport initially went through the "registered" and "being checked" stages, before showing "This application could not be processed...". I received a letter asking for extra documents, and sent them immediately, but as yet the status hasn't changed.

What status normally comes after "This application could not be processed..."?

It's strange that nobody else has experienced this. In case anyone has this problem in future, I now have an answer: the status goes back to "Received on (today) and has been registered". I.e., the same as it was just after I submitted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

What's the minimum validity time on an Irish passport for EU travel (Portugal).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement