Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MRG77

aujopimur wrote: »
    What's the minimum validity time on an Irish passport for EU travel (Portugal).

There is no minimum. As long as it is valid on the days you are travelling it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Apply early!

Don’t wait until the last minute to apply for your passport. Check whether it is still valid well before you are due to travel. Some countries now insist that your passport be valid for at least six months after the start of your visit, so check the expiry date carefully.

Above is an extract from DFA Passport Office site. Wonder which countries insist on the six month rule? Do some of the airlines have a ruling on this?

Link: http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=253

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Has anyone sent their passport without using Passport Express, i.e. normal post?

Did you get the passport on the Issue Date they state on the passport tracking web page?

Ordinary post is more expensive than Passport Express [95e for adult passport - you pay 89 in total with An Post] and there is no guarantee on processing time. Nobody should use it. It's effectively being phased out as an option. Its not secure either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

If anyone is wondering how much validity is needed on their passport, best thing to do is ring the embassy of the country you are travelling to. Most countries have an embassy in Dublin or London at least. Individual requirements for every country and sometimes it depends on your nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

if you have an EU passport. you have free travel for as long as passport is valid to any EU country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    if you have an EU passport. you have free travel for as long as passport is valid to any EU country.

Free travel up to three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Hi all

I lost my passport around Christmas while home, but as I had a student card was able to return to the UK.

I am now looking to replace it. I have received the documents required, and hopefully my bank over here will sign the lost part of the forms.

The problem I have is I have no "good" photographic ID. The student card I have, while official, is a poor quality web cam pic. They basically line you up, point a web cam and print away the student card.

I have provisional driving license from the UK, but I believe this will not be acceptable for some reason.

*EDIT*

The passport office replied rather quickly with the following:

Yes your old cancelled passport will do as photo ID.

Name Supplied
    Customer Care team

I was wondering if my old passport would do for the renewal. I renewed my passport in 2010 and they returned that one with the corners cut off it. Would this be acceptable as photo ID, or will the fact it was used already and the corner have been cut off invalidate it?

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Does anyone know how long after your passport is "approved" before they print it and post it out?

My application went to approved this evening, just wondering if there's any chance of it being printed and posted tomorrow in the hopes that I receive it by Friday?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Best bet might be to ring / email the passport office. I've done both and weirdly was probably quicker getting an email response!

I was slightly worried, because I have been tracking the application online and it currently says

"Application No. whatever. Received on 20/03/2013 and has been registered." i.e. the very first stage, even though the issue date is supposed to be April 4th - tomorrow, and that had me worried because I'm flying out of the country next week.

But after both phoning and emailing they have assured me, regardless what the tracker says it will be SENT tomorrow. So fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Mine was the same Faker74, with an issue date of tomorrow - 4th April.

It stayed at "received" for a long time, however it went to approved yesterday, and then today it changed to "printed" and now it's "sent" - so it's actually moved very quickly.

I should have mine tomorrow - spot on with the original 4th April date.

I'd say there's a good chance you'll get yours tomorrow also :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have to renew my passport for travel at the end of may. Will be doing it by passport express. The form is confusing. Do I need to bring the form and pictures to the guards again even though I did it the last time?

What else do I need to send? Copy of driving licence? Proof of address? Anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

reilig wrote: »
    I have to renew my passport for travel at the end of may. Will be doing it by passport express. The form is confusing. Do I need to bring the form and pictures to the guards again even though I did it the last time?

What else do I need to send? Copy of driving licence? Proof of address? Anything else?

Bring the form, with your photos, in to the Garda Station. Submit the form with anpost with your previous passport only.

Also, leave the payment section blank, you'll be paying in the post office

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Moyglish wrote: »
    Mine was the same Faker74, with an issue date of tomorrow - 4th April.

It stayed at "received" for a long time, however it went to approved yesterday, and then today it changed to "printed" and now it's "sent" - so it's actually moved very quickly.

I should have mine tomorrow - spot on with the original 4th April date.

I'd say there's a good chance you'll get yours tomorrow also :)

Yep - mine is now showing up with a parcel number to trace it with.

So for anyone wondering about the accuracy of the online tracking system on dfa.ie; my experience has been that the passport was issued (i.e. posted not delivered) on their predicted issue date, but that the status update on the system is pretty inaccurate.

What I got was 20/03/2013 - Received and registered (Step 1)
    04/04/2013 - received and being checked (step 2)
    04/04/2013 - has been posted with delivery reference whatever (Step 5)

It never appeared as being approved (step 3) or being printed (step 4), even though I was refreshing the site pretty frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rob_zw

Hi All,

Applied for my Passport at the london embassy, timeline as follows -

14/03/13 - Application lodged in person at London Embassy
    20/03/13 - Registered as recived on the tracking system, issue date 5/04/13
    02/04/13 - Status changed to being checked

As of today the status is still at being checked, other peoples experience seems to sugest it moves thoruhg the final 3 stages very quickly, has anyone else experienced a hold up at the "being checked" stage?

I travel on the 25/04/13, so hoping this arrives in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dublinjody

Hi, I would love if anybody can advise me on this or at least point me in the right direction.

I've tried to call the passport office but I have been on hold with them for hours (tried several different days).

Basically, the name on my birth certificate is different to the name on my passport, and I intend to get married abroad this year.
    In the country I am getting married in it is necessary for me to have my birth certificate and my passport along with other docs.

I am worried that my marriage certificate may not be granted as the names are different on each document from Ireland.

Can anybody advise me if it is possible to add something official to my passport to say that my birth certificate has one name and my passport another?

Again, I would really really appreciate it if anybody can help me with this...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

as i only recently completed a passport application, i did notice under section 2 of the passport application form,

it asks you for the name to appear on your passport
    and
    then the next section asks for name on birth cert...

this is so your birth cert name can be on the observation page of your passport. maybe organise a new passport, cut out any worry/stress if you didn't complete this section at the time you got your last passport

good luck with the wedding plans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

rob_zw wrote: »
    Applied for my Passport at the london embassy, timeline as follows -

14/03/13 - Application lodged in person at London Embassy
    20/03/13 - Registered as recived on the tracking system, issue date 5/04/13
    02/04/13 - Status changed to being checked

As of today the status is still at being checked, other peoples experience seems to sugest it moves thoruhg the final 3 stages very quickly, has anyone else experienced a hold up at the "being checked" stage?

Yes, I experienced that:

04/03/13 - Application delivered by mail to London Embassy
    05/03/13 - Registered as received on the tracking system, issue date 19/03/13
    12/03/13 - Status changed to being checked
    15/03/13 - Status changed to "we cannot process your application"

Yes, I experienced that:

04/03/13 - Application delivered by mail to London Embassy
    05/03/13 - Registered as received on the tracking system, issue date 19/03/13
    12/03/13 - Status changed to being checked
    15/03/13 - Status changed to "we cannot process your application"

Oh dear, i do hope this is not the case with mine, did they tell you why they couldnt process it? Mine is a straight forward renewall so am hoping all is in order. as of today it is still showing as being checked.

Oh dear, i do hope this is not the case with mine, did they tell you why they couldnt process it? Mine is a straight forward renewall so am hoping all is in order. as of today it is still showing as being checked.
    Yes, it was my fault: I didn't enclose all the documents to prove ID, etc. Now my application seems to have gone to the back of the queue, which has become longer than before:

21/03/13 - Extra documents delivered by mail to London Embassy
    26/03/13 - Registered as received on the tracking system, issue date 18/04/13

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dublinjody

Thanks for your help and good wishes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

dublinjody wrote: »
    Hi, I would love if anybody can advise me on this or at least point me in the right direction.

I've tried to call the passport office but I have been on hold with them for hours (tried several different days).

Basically, the name on my birth certificate is different to the name on my passport, and I intend to get married abroad this year.
    In the country I am getting married in it is necessary for me to have my birth certificate and my passport along with other docs.

I am worried that my marriage certificate may not be granted as the names are different on each document from Ireland.

Can anybody advise me if it is possible to add something official to my passport to say that my birth certificate has one name and my passport another?

Again, I would really really appreciate it if anybody can help me with this...:o

How different are the names?? Is it something like Catherine on the birth cert but Cathy on the passport or is the whole name different (including the surname)??

Yes, it was my fault: I didn't enclose all the documents to prove ID, etc. Now my application seems to have gone to the back of the queue, which has become longer than before:

21/03/13 - Extra documents delivered by mail to London Embassy
    26/03/13 - Registered as received on the tracking system, issue date 18/04/13

OK thanks, my application was checked at the embassy for all documents, I was told all i had to provide was the expired passport which was handed over with the application.

Still showing tday at a status of being checked, I think i may just ring them them up to make sure all is ok. just over 2 weeks to go till I fly, so hoping this gets sorted out...

OK thanks, my application was checked at the embassy for all documents, I was told all i had to provide was the expired passport which was handed over with the application.

Still showing tday at a status of being checked, I think i may just ring them them up to make sure all is ok. just over 2 weeks to go till I fly, so hoping this gets sorted out...

Just managed to speak to them, appears like there was a system failure last week which has affected the tracking system, my application is sitting at the approved stage and should be printed this evening..

whew, will only be completely happy when i have it my hand though..

Just managed to speak to them, appears like there was a system failure last week which has affected the tracking system, my application is sitting at the approved stage and should be printed this evening..

whew, will only be completely happy when i have it my hand though..
    That's interesting. Both times I called them, they told me something different than what the tracking system was showing. That tracking system seems a bit unreliable!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My Parents applied on the 21st of March using Passport Express and received their new passports this morning.

Just a straightforward renewal and it took 18 days but there was a bank holiday and good Friday in between. Just to give people an idea of current timescales involved.

Stinicker wrote: »
    My Parents applied on the 21st of March using Passport Express and received their new passports this morning.

Just a straightforward renewal and it took 18 days but there was a bank holiday and good Friday in between. Just to give people an idea of current timescales involved.

Not sure how that works out at 18 days?? Taking out 3 Saturdays & Sundays, 1 Good Friday & 1 Easter Monday you parents got their passports on the 10th WORKING day.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Is it possible to change county of birth when renewing passport. Was born in hospital in Dublin but lived in Meath all my life and was hoping to change it. If i put Meath down on application would it hold up the process? Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Is it possible to change county of birth when renewing passport. Was born in hospital in Dublin but lived in Meath all my life and was hoping to change it. If i put Meath down on application would it hold up the process? Thanks

Can't see it happening to be honest. If your Birth certificate states that you were born in Dublin, then that's what they will insist on. Why complicate matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Is it possible to change county of birth when renewing passport. Was born in hospital in Dublin but lived in Meath all my life and was hoping to change it.

You're joking, right?

• Advertisement

Maybe you should try a re-birthing ceremony?? Surely with medical proof of that they'd be mad to turn you down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement