Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Is it possible to change county of birth when renewing passport. Was born in hospital in Dublin but lived in Meath all my life and was hoping to change it. If i put Meath down on application would it hold up the process? Thanks

Unfortunately you cannot change where you were born, just like when you were born. Only circumstance I'd envisage where they'd obscure the fact is in cases of adoption...

I understand you may want it to look neat and tidy, "Meath, Meath" for residence and place of birth. However, it's just not done. I wasn't born in Ireland nor in the country where I have citizenship. Makes it a hell of a lot of hassle explaining family history every time I've to fill out forms, but I'm just stuck with that. And so are you...

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Is it possible to change county of birth when renewing passport. Was born in hospital in Dublin but lived in Meath all my life and was hoping to change it. If i put Meath down on application would it hold up the process? Thanks

Maybe stick on a Meath GAA jersey for the passport photo?

Seems like a reasonable compromise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rob_zw

rob_zw wrote: »
    Hi All,

Applied for my Passport at the london embassy, timeline as follows -

14/03/13 - Application lodged in person at London Embassy
    20/03/13 - Registered as recived on the tracking system, issue date 5/04/13
    02/04/13 - Status changed to being checked

As of today the status is still at being checked, other peoples experience seems to sugest it moves thoruhg the final 3 stages very quickly, has anyone else experienced a hold up at the "being checked" stage?

I travel on the 25/04/13, so hoping this arrives in time.

Update on this, status changed yesterday to Passport Printed, so a full week at being at being checked stage - although it looks like it was actually at a different stage when i rang them on Monday.

I presume they now post it back to London, who then post it on to me, 2 weeks to go so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Gatica wrote: »
    Unfortunately you cannot change where you were born, just like when you were born. Only circumstance I'd envisage where they'd obscure the fact is in cases of adoption...

<snip>
    nope,
    your "Birth cert" (aka entry in register of adoptions) shows where you were actually born, at least thats the way in Ireland anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jame1991

Not sure if anyone can advise me here, I had my application rejected because they needed more ID documents, and they sent me an addressed envelope. I sent off the documents they asked for by Recorded Delivery to a specific person in the Passport Office in Balbriggan, but I didn't include the letter that they sent with it, that had a barcode on it.

Will this be a big issue? It had a phone number, will I ring up in the morning and explain?

Thanks a mill, I'm panicking now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Jame1991 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone can advise me here, I had my application rejected because they needed more ID documents, and they sent me an addressed envelope. I sent off the documents they asked for by Recorded Delivery to a specific person in the Passport Office in Balbriggan, but I didn't include the letter that they sent with it, that had a barcode on it.

Will this be a big issue? It had a phone number, will I ring up in the morning and explain?

Thanks a mill, I'm panicking now!

If it's to a specific person then they should be able to match it up easily enough, depends on their workload though, if they've sent out 50 requests it might be tricky but I'd say you'd be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

Hi has anyone got a passport sooner than the 10 days with passport express recently? I ordered my daughters passport yesterday but we could be flying on the 25th which would be the 10 days, would love to hear if it was possible to get it sooner.

thanks

Nope they didn't even begin checking mine til the 9th day, let alone approve or print it!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

ahh god jame1991, I will be on tender hooks tracking it, I will be grey if they dont even check it before day 9:(

The average turnaround period for Passport Express for the week ending 27th of March 2013 is 10 working days.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83334

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

if you lose your passport do you have to declare it lost? my boyfriend only copped his is missing and he is applying for a new one on Monday.does he just have to get the guard to fill in the lost passport part on the form?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

TRISHKA wrote: »
    ahh god jame1991, I will be on tender hooks tracking it, I will be grey if they dont even check it before day 9:(

Does anyone know what you have to do in this situation. We are flying on the 13th working day. If it doesnt arrive on the 10th day...can you head to the passport offive??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Hi, we will be travelling to France this summer and hope to drive to Switzerland for a couple of days.
    Our Irish passports are all valid however my partner's passport will expire in August, 7 weeks after we return.
    I can't find anywhere online if this will be a problem with border control when entering the country. The 6 month rule doesn't apply in France and Germany, however I do not know if this is the case for Switzerland. Has anyone any idea what their entry requirements are?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,450 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

France and Switzerland are both signed up to the Schengen agreement so you will not be asked to produce your passports when travelling between those countries. Hence there won't be any issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

If you're going on the ferry from Rosslare you probably won't even have to produce your passports when you land in France, I've been there three times on the ferry and the French cops just stood there as we drove off the ferry, nobody was stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Don't forget that if you plan on driving on any motorway within Switzerland, you need to buy a 1 year vignette (about €30-€40), even if you're only going to be on a motorway for 10 minutes in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Thank you both. That is one less thing to worry about and budget for. The money will, it seems, go towards a Swiss motorway pass instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Travelling to Sardinia 16-23 May and passport expires the 26th. Any idea if I need a new passport? Have contacted the passport office who advised contacting the Italian embassy. Am waiting on a reply from them now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rob_zw

Passport arrived safely back with me on Friday. so all good.

In case anyone is interested, timeframes for applying at the London Embassy is just over 4 weeks, that includes the Easter break.

20/03/13 - Registered as received on the tracking system, issue date 5/04/13
    09/04/13 - Status Changed to Passport printed
    10/04/13 - Status changed to Passport posted
    12/04/13 - Passport received.

It looks like Dublin post it to back to London, who then post it in the self addressed envelope you provide, in my case i provided them with one of those pre paid special delivery envelopes, and kept a note of the tracking number so i could keep an eye on it.

Anyway, im all good now until 2023, and can catch my flight next week :)

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Travelling to Sardinia 16-23 May and passport expires the 26th. Any idea if I need a new passport? Have contacted the passport office who advised contacting the Italian embassy. Am waiting on a reply from them now...

No you don't need a new passport. The people in the passport office should know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

rob_zw wrote: »
    Passport arrived safely back with me on Friday. so all good.

In case anyone is interested, timeframes for applying at the London Embassy is just over 4 weeks, that includes the Easter break.

20/03/13 - Registered as received on the tracking system, issue date 5/04/13
    09/04/13 - Status Changed to Passport printed
    10/04/13 - Status changed to Passport posted
    12/04/13 - Passport received.

It looks like Dublin post it to back to London, who then post it in the self addressed envelope you provide, in my case i provided them with one of those pre paid special delivery envelopes, and kept a note of the tracking number so i could keep an eye on it.

Anyway, im all good now until 2023, and can catch my flight next week :)

That's good, and useful to know. My application started "being checked" on Friday, April 12, so I'm now expecting it to remain in that state until this Friday!

• Advertisement

You don't receive your passport on the 10th day, they guarantee to issue it provided the information and documentation is correct. It may take upto 2 days to deliver it. The website is quite clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pharmo_Girlo

Hi Guys, could someone please answer a few questions for me! I've had so much trouble contacting the Passport Office for information and I'm really clueless with this whole process.

Basically, I lost my passport at an event recently, my clutch bag was knocked from my hand into a puddle and was ruined. I took my phone, keys and purse from it and placed them in a friends bag; and then threw out the bag, without remembering my passport was in the zipper compartment (idiot, I know!). Anyways I'm due to be flying to the states about the 13th of June, I've nothing booked yet as I want to wait to get my new passport. I was just wondering will the following by sufficient evidence to support my application;

- Full Form Birth Cert
    - O2 Bill. (name and address)
    - Bank lodgement notice. (name and address)
    - Previous passport to the one I threw out.
    - Student card. (would rather send the out of date one than my current one, is that ok?)
    - Driver Theory Test Certificate. (name, photo, PPS)
    - 4 photos.

Is that all I'll need? Also does anyone know how long applications are taking via passport express at the moment? I'm eager to get my passport sorted and out of the way, have a lot of exams coming up and don't want the stress!

Thanks a million! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

That should be ok. I wouldn't send your theory test cert, no need. Two proofs of address and a photo ID should do. Try and send your current student id if you can

Sorry and just a further Q, On the o2 bill my address is spelled incorrectly, just a minor mispelling but will that be a problem?

Hi Guys, could someone please answer a few questions for me! I've had so much trouble contacting the Passport Office for information and I'm really clueless with this whole process.

Basically, I lost my passport at an event recently, my clutch bag was knocked from my hand into a puddle and was ruined. I took my phone, keys and purse from it and placed them in a friends bag; and then threw out the bag, without remembering my passport was in the zipper compartment (idiot, I know!). Anyways I'm due to be flying to the states about the 13th of June, I've nothing booked yet as I want to wait to get my new passport. I was just wondering will the following by sufficient evidence to support my application;

- Full Form Birth Cert
    - Student card. (would rather send the out of date one than my current one, is that ok?)
    - 4 photos.

Is that all I'll need? Also does anyone know how long applications are taking via passport express at the moment? I'm eager to get my passport sorted and out of the way, have a lot of exams coming up and don't want the stress!

Thanks a million! :)

Follow the information here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_irish_passport.html

You need to report the loss to the Garda too.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

- Full Form Birth Cert
    - 4 photos.

The fact you can submit your second last passport will count for a lot. I wouldn't worry about the drivers theory test cert but it'd be no harm to send last years student card as well.

Just make sure you complete section 6 of the form and that the Garda signs & stamps it.

Get the stuff sent of (by Passport Express) ASAP and you'll have it back in plenty of time for travel (in or around 2 weeks).

netopia wrote: »
    The fact you can submit your second last passport will count for a lot. I wouldn't worry about the drivers theory test cert but it'd be no harm to send last years student card as well.

Just make sure you complete section 6 of the form and that the Garda signs & stamps it.

Get the stuff sent of (by Passport Express) ASAP and you'll have it back in plenty of time for travel (in or around 2 weeks).

Thanks a million for everyone's help! Just to follow up for anyone who finds themselves with a similar situation to mine, went into my post office and the lady was very knowledgeable. She took a scan of my current student card (stamped by the Gardai), the old-old passport and the Drivers Theory test certificate. She said she might as well as they all serve to support the application so the more the better! She also took a bank statement, o2 bill and a letter I found from college. All sorted! I'll let ye know how soon it comes! :)

Also just something of relevance here, being from the west my address has many different variations! She said it isn't ideal to be sending off documents that may differ in address. Luckily I was able to sort it, but just for anyone that has some documents that name the greater area, the parish etc. Be careful that things match up relatively well!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Also just something of relevance here, being from the west my address has many different variations! She said it isn't ideal to be sending off documents that may differ in address. Luckily I was able to sort it, but just for anyone that has some documents that name the greater area, the parish etc. Be careful that things match up relatively well!

Not to say that the lady in the Post Office that dealt with you wasn't helpful but just be careful as its just as likely that they will give you wrong information / tell you not to submit relevant documents / tell you to only submit photocopies.

At the end of the day the onus is on each applicant to ensure that the documentation is correct and they have no one else to blame but themselves if they fail to submit sufficient docs.

Sigh, they spelt my name wrong on my passport.

Had to send it back off even though I'm flying on Saturday. Hope they pull their finger out to correct their error!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 pivotman

I'm meant to be leaving for london in two days time and i'm freaking out!
    I sent away for the passport express service 11 working days ago and still nothing (even though they guarantee it to be 10 working days!).

I just spent about four hours try to get in get someone for the passport office on the phone and when I finally did they just said it was sent out.
    I have one more day that I get post before my flight and I don't have much faith that it will get here on time (cause it's all ready late!).

Do I have any other options? I know you can go to the UK with an age card but thats only with aer lingus as far as I know and i'm flying with ryan air. Is there such thing as an emergency passport?

Also has anyone experience with the passport express service as because it was guaranteed it to be 10 working days and going to go looking for a refund, I'm going to go out on a limb a say that a long shot, be hey im still going to try!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement