Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

hcass wrote: »
    Ok so yes I am an idiot. I misplace my passport and was convinced it would turn up as it usually does but finally had to give in on Saturday and get passport express as going on holidays in couple of weeks.

Of course I find my bloody passport today and now I desperately want to cancel my application. Is there anything I can do - any way of intercepting the application?

Not that I know of, but you can return the 'lost' passport to them for cancellation so it doesnt count against you. Give them a call tomorrow to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

They don't answer the phone any more, too busy.

So you think if I went in and spoke to them they might stop the application before it starts?

I really want to use my old passport. I know that sounds silly but I have my reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

They don't answer the phone any more, too busy.

So you think if I went in and spoke to them they might stop the application before it starts?

I really want to use my old passport. I know that sounds silly but I have my reasons.

If you ring first thing in the morning you should get through. Alternatively, email them or queue up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

You lucky git! You must have felt so relieved when you cleared immigration and walked off.

You know you could be refused travel home though? Technically they'd be entitled to refuse travel and you'd have to get an emergency travel document from the Irish embassy. I suspect, however, that it wouldn't come to that and you'd likely be just fine. Enjoy your holiday!

Just to finish the story, we're back in Ireland, though not without some adventure.
    Made it through the Spanish passport control at the airport no problem and were pretty much convinced we were home and dry.
    However, getting onto the plane, the eagle-eyed Ryanair lady spotted my daughters out of date passport.
    'Can't fly with an out of date passport' we were firmly told. Pretty much pleaded and begged with her to no avail.
    Wife gets on plane with our son and I hang around boarding gate and wait until everyone's on before I make another futile attempt to convince them to let me on. I'm so sick at how close we got to getting home, but I stay pretty calm and don't lose the head with the Ryanair staff(it is my fault after all)
    Myself and my little girl head back out into the main departures area and I start making some phone calls home. Plan at this stage is to head to Barcelona and get emergency travel docs and book alternative flights. I figure it may take a couple of days to get home and several hundred euros extra, but at least we had a nice break away.
    After about 5 mins, the Ryanair lady runs around the corner and says 'ok, you can fly, quick'.
    Grab daughter and run for plane, expressing gratitude on the way.
    Sail through passport control on Irish side.
    Not sure what prompted change of heart, but I was very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The key was probably staying calm - I'm sure they get dog's abuse on a daily basis (just read the Ryanair thread here for examples) so being polite brought about a change of heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

GarIT wrote: »
    That's a load of sh**e. Stop trying to scare people for fun. There's always rumours about backlogs but they usually are never true, there has been one backlog (as a result of a strike) in about the last 10 years. check passport.ie, applications are taking exactly as long as expected as they always have.

I'm hardly trying to scare people for fun, I'm repeating what I was told in the post office. I'm awaiting my own passport and need it asap so I'm hardly going to make it up now am I? :rolleyes:

Mine has just moved from received & registered to received and being checked. I assume if there are any problems with my application I'll hear now?

It's still listing an issue date of tomorrow so fingers crossed. I could do with my documentation back (student travelcard) so I don't have to pay for an adult bus ticket :p

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Do you use the barcode application number for tracking passport progress or is it anohter number?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

Do you use the barcode application number for tracking passport progress or is it anohter number?
    It's the 11-digit number printed on a removable label on the passport application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Mine arrived this morning.

Very happy, went to 'being checked' yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

From the Aer Lingus website :

Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel

Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification.

Note: In order to travel between Ireland and the UK with photo identification other than a passport, passengers must have been born in Ireland or the UK and also be a citizen of either country.

The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
    Valid Passport
    Driver's licence with photo
    International student card
    National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    Bus pass with photo
    Work ID with photo

Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.

Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I was born in the UK but I'm eligible for an Irish passport as 3 of my grandparents were born here.

It's a bit of a palaver to get an Irish one and involves getting various paperwork as well as their birth / death certs.

My mother is in the process of getting an Irish one as her UK one has expired (and it's cheaper to get an Irish one), so I was wondering if her having an Irish one would make it easier for me to get an Irish one, does anyone know?

Gekko wrote: »
    I was born in the UK but I'm eligible for an Irish passport as 3 of my grandparents were born here.

It's a bit of a palaver to get an Irish one and involves getting various paperwork as well as their birth / death certs.

My mother is in the process of getting an Irish one as her UK one has expired (and it's cheaper to get an Irish one), so I was wondering if her having an Irish one would make it easier for me to get an Irish one, does anyone know?
    You don't say whether you already have Irish citizenship (your parent(s) were born in Ireland?) or you need to register on the FBR first.

Thanks - My parents were born in UK. Was wondering if my Ma getting an Irish passport would mean I could avoid the FBR bureaucracy

Thanks - My parents were born in UK. Was wondering if my Ma getting an Irish passport would mean I could avoid the FBR bureaucracy
    According to this recent discussion, there is a small advantage in doing what you suggested. Apparently, you can avoid providing your grandparent's ID document if your mother gets an Irish passport first. However, you (and/or your mother) would still need to supply quite a lot of birth certificates, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you apply for a new passport when the old one has already expired, do you still have to declare the old one as lost, if you can't find it to send in with the new application? Or does it have to be still valid to be declared as lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

You either have to return your most recent passport (whether in or out of date) or complete the statement of loss. If you do complete the statement of loss that lost passport will be on your record & if you lose 2 or more you will end up getting restricted passports.

Also if your completing a statement of loss don't forget to supply your birth cert (and other docs proving citizenship if born abroad) and proof of your passport name, proof of the address that the passport will be sent to and an alternative photo ID. All originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks for that. Yeah, I knew about the 'two strikes and you are out' rule. Is that for the entire life time of the passport holder, or just for the 10 year life time of the passport? I was kinda hoping it was for the 10 years of the old passport & that when I got the new one, I started fresh again. Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

According to this recent discussion, there is a small advantage in doing what you suggested. Apparently, you can avoid providing your grandparent's ID document if your mother gets an Irish passport first. However, you (and/or your mother) would still need to supply quite a lot of birth certificates, etc.

Thanks for that - we have the relevant certs but the FBR procedure was a real nightmare - and adds additional costs too - so anything that might help me avoid that would be welcome.

Thanks for that - we have the relevant certs but the FBR procedure was a real nightmare - and adds additional costs too - so anything that might help me avoid that would be welcome.
    I don't think you can avoid going through the FBR procedure if you were not born in Ireland. (Unfortunately, the cost of that increased dramatically on March 1 this year.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jame1991

I don't think you can avoid going through the FBR procedure if you were not born in Ireland. (Unfortunately, the cost of that increased dramatically on March 1 this year.)

You are right, my Mam was born in England but is Irish and has an Irish passport. However I still needed to do the FBR, there is NO other way round it.

Luckily I had mine sorted a week before the fees doubled.

Only way to get the passport unfortunately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Yeah, I knew about the 'two strikes and you are out' rule. Is that for the entire life time of the passport holder, or just for the 10 year life time of the passport? I was kinda hoping it was for the 10 years of the old passport & that when I got the new one, I started fresh again. Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Well I'd say once you manage to hang on to the new one for the next 10 years you should be fine. By then the one you've lost will be well out of date and hopefully a distant memory on your record.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

Just to finish the story, we're back in Ireland, though not without some adventure.
    Made it through the Spanish passport control at the airport no problem and were pretty much convinced we were home and dry.
    However, getting onto the plane, the eagle-eyed Ryanair lady spotted my daughters out of date passport.
    'Can't fly with an out of date passport' we were firmly told. Pretty much pleaded and begged with her to no avail.
    Wife gets on plane with our son and I hang around boarding gate and wait until everyone's on before I make another futile attempt to convince them to let me on. I'm so sick at how close we got to getting home, but I stay pretty calm and don't lose the head with the Ryanair staff(it is my fault after all)
    Myself and my little girl head back out into the main departures area and I start making some phone calls home. Plan at this stage is to head to Barcelona and get emergency travel docs and book alternative flights. I figure it may take a couple of days to get home and several hundred euros extra, but at least we had a nice break away.
    After about 5 mins, the Ryanair lady runs around the corner and says 'ok, you can fly, quick'.
    Grab daughter and run for plane, expressing gratitude on the way.
    Sail through passport control on Irish side.
    Not sure what prompted change of heart, but I was very grateful.

Since seeing you post I was in the Canaries, went through Shannon, passports not inspected, told enjoy the sun. On the other side, same story, didn't even look at the passports. On return there was no passport control open at 6 am so not inspected. Upon boarding the plane, the airline staff checked ticket against passport and on arrival back in Shannon not checked again. Our passports were fully in order but the opposite could have been the case. It's just a matter of luck .
    As far as I know, as Ryanair let you out with an out of date passport they would have a duty to get you home. I could be wrong but I heard this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Carvair

I suspect that Ryanair called Immigration who gave approval for your little girl to travel with the expired passport

The way the system works is that the carrier will be fined thousands if they carry a passenger with incorrect documentation, once the carrier gets approval, they "may" decide to allow you travel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Carvair wrote: »

The way the system works is that the carrier will be fined thousands if they carry a passenger with incorrect documentation, once the carrier gets approval, they "may" decide to allow you travel

How does it work then with all the refugee asylum seekers that we have in the country. I heard that the fine system is not being implimented because it would prevent "genuine" refugees from travelling to Ireland.

Jame1991 wrote: »
    You are right, my Mam was born in England but is Irish and has an Irish passport. However I still needed to do the FBR, there is NO other way round it.

Luckily I had mine sorted a week before the fees doubled.

Only way to get the passport unfortunately!

Ah well, looks like I'll stick with my UK one. It would have been a bit more peace of mind to have the Irish one in certain Middle Eastern countries.

Any idea what the fees come to out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jame1991

Ah well, looks like I'll stick with my UK one. It would have been a bit more peace of mind to have the Irish one in certain Middle Eastern countries.

Any idea what the fees come to out of curiosity?

I did mine just before they went up, and it came to €148.50.

Now I think it's €270 or just over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

roundymac wrote: »
    How does it work then with all the refugee asylum seekers that we have in the country. I heard that the fine system is not being implimented because it would prevent "genuine" refugees from travelling to Ireland.

No that's total tripe.

Jame1991 wrote: »
    I did mine just before they went up, and it came to €148.50.

Now I think it's €270 or just over.

What a rip-off!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 buckotwo2

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice. Going on a holiday on the 6th June. I havent booked it yet. Booking it tomorrow. However, I just saw yesterday that my passport is out of date (couldnt believe it) so I am sending away for the passport tomorrow.

Will I definetly have the passport back before 6th June? Would want it on the 4th or 5th.

Also, will a travel agency allow me to book a holiday without a passport?

I would really appreciate anyone's help on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 buckotwo2

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice. Going on a holiday on the 6th June. I havent booked it yet. Booking it tomorrow. However, I just saw yesterday that my passport is out of date (couldnt believe it) so I am sending away for the passport tomorrow.

Will I definetly have the passport back before 6th June? Would want it on the 4th or 5th.

Also, will a travel agency allow me to book a holiday without a passport?

I would really appreciate anyone's help on this.

progress.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement