Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

The travel agency will alllow you book your trip with out the passport.
    Express is available through approximately 1,000 local An Post post offices and through another 70 post offices in Northern Ireland.

The average turnaround period for Passport Express for the week ending 1st of May 2013 is 10 working days.

Turnaround periods previously achieved were as follows:

Week Ending Passport Express Turnaround

24th April 2013 10 Working Days

17th April 2013 9/10 Working Days

10th April 2013 10 Working Days

3rd April 2013 10 Working Days

27th March 2013 10 Working Days

20th March 2013 9/10 Working Days

13th March 2013 9/10 Working Days

6th March 2013 9/10 Working Days

27th Feb 2013 9/10 Working Days
    Scource : http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83334

Your going away June 6th by my take if you get it off in the mail using passport express on Monday you should get it back June 5/6th. If your able to go into the passport office with a ticket booked they might be able do it faster for you but they usually only do that for emergencies like a death or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Paddytee

Hi all. Sent away for passport express on the 10th of may. The status now is received on the 13th and the issue date is the 24th. 24th is a Friday so I should get it the 27th on the Monday or the Friday?

The kicker is that I've a flight on the 28th.

What should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jame1991

Paddytee wrote: »
    Hi all. Sent away for passport express on the 10th of may. The status now is received on the 13th and the issue date is the 24th. 24th is a Friday so I should get it the 27th on the Monday or the Friday?

The kicker is that I've a flight on the 28th.

What should I do?

Definitely the Monday, mine was issued on a Thursday afternoon and I didn't get it til the Monday.

You can always ring and ask to collect it from the passport office?

This is why they say not to book travel until you have a valid passport! Nothing you can do now like though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

My sons was set for last Friday 17th May and I got it that day, the status of the passport never changed until that day either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 buckotwo2

jjbrien wrote: »
    The travel agency will alllow you book your trip with out the passport.

Scource : http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83334

Your going away June 6th by my take if you get it off in the mail using passport express on Monday you should get it back June 5/6th. If your able to go into the passport office with a ticket booked they might be able do it faster for you but they usually only do that for emergencies like a death or something.

Actually need the passport on the 4th now. Hope I will get it back by then.

• Advertisement

Just on the passport. i sent it away today. However, the post office person told me that I dont need to put in my birth certificate, only for those under 18. I checked this up on the internet and said you only have to submit one if under 18 or if you want your birth cert on the passport. Unfortunately I ticked yes on the application form to put my birth cert name on the passport. Am I in trouble now?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Is your birth cert name the same as the name to go on the passport?? (incl all forenames).

If so you wouldn't get an observation if the name anyway. If there is a difference you'll possibly get a call when your passport is being checked or you can be proactive and send your birth cert to Customer Care in either Balbriggan or Cork with a cover note and of course your application number and then the birth cert will be matched up with your application prior to checking.

Another reason to ignore what the person in the Post Office says as regards leaving out documents. Its your application and as every application is different they should not advice people to leave documents out that they want to send.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nslebo

Hello,

I am encouraged by the quick turn around everyone seems to be having with their passport applications. I sent my application in mid April to the Irish Consulate in NY and was told that because I was a first time applicant that it would take longer. The Irish Consulate in NY was saying 8-12 weeks. Because I am on the American side of the pond, I cannot use passport express. I had made plans to move to the UK at the mid June and it was looking like I wouldn't receive it in time. So now the tracking information on the website says my application was received and registered on April 15 and the issue date is May 29!

So can I expect it within the first week of June do you think? Has anyone here had their passport application processed from this side of the pond?

Thank you in advance :)

Bye for now,
    Nikki

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Paddytee

Just an update. Got my passport today. So it took 9 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

nslebo wrote: »
    Hello,So can I expect it within the first week of June do you think? Has anyone here had their passport application processed from this side of the pond?

I did, and it took about a month.

• Advertisement

netopia wrote: »
    Is your birth cert name the same as the name to go on the passport?? (incl all forenames).

If so you wouldn't get an observation if the name anyway. If there is a difference you'll possibly get a call when your passport is being checked or you can be proactive and send your birth cert to Customer Care in either Balbriggan or Cork with a cover note and of course your application number and then the birth cert will be matched up with your application prior to checking.

Another reason to ignore what the person in the Post Office says as regards leaving out documents. Its your application and as every application is different they should not advice people to leave documents out that they want to send.

Ya it is the same name.

Paddytee wrote: »
    Just an update. Got my passport today. So it took 9 working days.

Was that including postage aswell? Where did you get it sent from?

Just another question, once you receive the new passport can it be used immediately to check in online or do you have to wait a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You can use it straight away. Why would you think you have to wait a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You can use it straight away. Why would you think you have to wait a few days?

The ink might have to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,450 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A link to this was posted on Twitter at about 5 p.m. today.

Basically they're saying that postal applications not using Passport Express have such a high failure rate that they're not going to accept them from June 30th next.

For citizens resident on the island of Ireland, the cheapest and most efficient means of processing their passport application continues to be through the passport express services operated on behalf of the Passport Service by An Post and by the Post Office in Northern Ireland. This service, which involves a pre-checking facility, has a maximum ten working day turnaround.

This compares favourably to postal applications not transmitted through the passport express system, of which over 90% are either inaccurate or incomplete on arrival, with 35% lacking the correct documentation and the vast majority lacking the correct fee. As a consequence, these applications take more than twice as many man hours to process as passport express applications, thereby draining resources from the processing of valid applications submitted through the passport express system or through the appointment system.

With a view to further improving the quality of service to the public, therefore, applications from addresses on the island of Ireland received by regular and registered post after 30 June 2013 will be returned to the applicant who will be advised to resubmit their application through the passport express service. Information on the changes to application procedures will be advertised in the national press, on the Passport Service website and through social media channels.

http://dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=89616

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

My brother had his passport renewed last month. He got the form from the Garda station but it was an older version of the form saying 2 photos only required instead of 4. He went to post office to send passport express and they informed him of the new criteria. Only for passport express he would have missed out on his holiday as he would not have enough time to resend by ordinary post. Passport express should be welcomed I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

I was offered a job in Belgium but my passport is out of date and I have to get over there ASAP ideas ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Mully_2011 wrote: »
    I was offered a job in Belgium but my passport is out of date and I have to get over there ASAP ideas ??

Have you got a flight booked?

Minimum 3 working days with proof of travel (issued at the earliest the day before your flight). Otherwise, 10 working days with Passport Express

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Have you got a flight booked?

Minimum 3 working days with proof of travel (issued at the earliest the day before your flight). Otherwise, 10 working days with Passport Express

No I have to confirm everything tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Sean Mullen

I have sent in all my details for a passport through ordinary post as a member of the guards said to, however it still has not been return to me from the 4 of may and my holiday is the 10of june. Is there anything I can do to get it back quicker. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Ok, I'm obviously going to contact consulate/embassy on monday etc. but just a bit trying to figure out where I am.

I'm living in Spain, working in Gibraltar and I had my handbag and some other things stolen this morning from a friend's car, including passport.

From looking at the various websites it seems there's no such thing as an emergency passport any more.

I have a denuncia and the police told me I should be able to use that to get into Gibraltar, but I am not 100% convinced of that.

Also, I am supposed to be travelling home the weekend after next. But from what I can see, any travel document that would be issued here would be for one journey only, so that would be no use unless I knew for certain that my new passport was going to be ready for me to take back.

Sorry, head spinning here at the moment...I'm just wondering if anybody has been in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lorrim

Contact the consulate in Fuengirola. An emergency passport can be issued from the embassy in Madrid. The consulate are really helpful & have seen this happen loads of times.

Ok, just as a follow up....main message is do NOT get your passport stolen.
    I went to the consulate in Fuengirola and got a passport application form and was told to apply for an emergency passport which would hopefully be back in time for my flight home next week.
    I was told it wasn't the first time it happened and I should be able to use the denuncia to cross into Gibraltar.
    At the border the Spanish weren't all that interested, had a quick look and told me to talk to 'los ingleses'. The Gibraltarians asked for any other photo id (which I didn't have) but I threw as much documentation as I could at them, employment contract, marriage certificate, nie...the guy went into a room for a bit, came out and told me that I could go in this once but I needed to go to the immigration office and see if they could organise something for me, went into my office, looked up office times and they'd closed a few hours before, but when I rang they answered the phone, told me to come in at 9 the next day and I could get something that would be good for crossing the border and would be valid for a month. I printed off copies of my passport/birth cert, got work to write a letter for me...
    I did think about just asking a friend if I could stay over, but I couldn't really do the application without going to Spain, so I went back across the border in the evening (no problem, only a Spanish check in that direction), got my witness to sign passport application, got everything together.
    So this morning, bank first to pay the application fee, post office and sent it off with return envelope, should take one day each way.
    Back to the border and was just so much more difficult. On the Spanish side I was taken to office, explained the situation, they took a copy of my passport and NIE, moved on.
    At Gibraltar check, same thing, guy referred me to senior, he goes into office, came back, says I can't do anything for you. I explained about the immigration office, but he tells me it's only for British citizens. To get my office to ring immigration and see if there's anything they can do. But it's the same story.
    So, my HR manager picks up house key from my husband (as mine was stolen along with everything else) and brings it to the border and I get a taxi home. Grrrrrrrr. Remind me why we don't have national ID cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    Ok, just as a follow up....main message is do NOT get your passport stolen.
    I went to the consulate in Fuengirola and got a passport application form and was told to apply for an emergency passport which would hopefully be back in time for my flight home next week.
    I was told it wasn't the first time it happened and I should be able to use the denuncia to cross into Gibraltar.
    At the border the Spanish weren't all that interested, had a quick look and told me to talk to 'los ingleses'. The Gibraltarians asked for any other photo id (which I didn't have) but I threw as much documentation as I could at them, employment contract, marriage certificate, nie...the guy went into a room for a bit, came out and told me that I could go in this once but I needed to go to the immigration office and see if they could organise something for me, went into my office, looked up office times and they'd closed a few hours before, but when I rang they answered the phone, told me to come in at 9 the next day and I could get something that would be good for crossing the border and would be valid for a month. I printed off copies of my passport/birth cert, got work to write a letter for me...
    I did think about just asking a friend if I could stay over, but I couldn't really do the application without going to Spain, so I went back across the border in the evening (no problem, only a Spanish check in that direction), got my witness to sign passport application, got everything together.
    So this morning, bank first to pay the application fee, post office and sent it off with return envelope, should take one day each way.
    Back to the border and was just so much more difficult. On the Spanish side I was taken to office, explained the situation, they took a copy of my passport and NIE, moved on.
    At Gibraltar check, same thing, guy referred me to senior, he goes into office, came back, says I can't do anything for you. I explained about the immigration office, but he tells me it's only for British citizens. To get my office to ring immigration and see if there's anything they can do. But it's the same story.
    So, my HR manager picks up house key from my husband (as mine was stolen along with everything else) and brings it to the border and I get a taxi home. Grrrrrrrr. Remind me why we don't have national ID cards?

But even if we did and that was also stolen how would that help you?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

But even if we did and that was also stolen how would that help you?
    I'm only guessing, but maybe because it would be small enough to carry around at all times, along with credit cards, etc? Passports tend to get left in places where they can be stolen.

Because if we did, then I wouldn't be carrying my passport everywhere. My Italian colleague was with me, had her national ID card stolen, but she can go into work on her passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Quick question, im also waiting on my passport which i applied exactly 10 days ago, and im going abroad next week.

On their tracking website it says that the issue date is today, but the status shows ( Application No. xxxx. Received on 21/05/2013 and has been registered)
    No further updates.

I tought there were a few status stages and they were updated as they go along. According to my status this tells me they have recieved my application but is hasnt been processed even tho 10 days is over. ???

Advice appriciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rossdoc81

Hello,
    I have a question here and I'm really worried at this stage. I sent my passport in with Passport Express and it was received on Monday 27th of May. I am supposed to be flying to Spain this weekend, Sunday the 9th June but my passport will not be issued until Monday the 10th. I though the 10 day turn around thing was you would have your passport back with in 10 days of sending it off, it was stupid that I didn't check this out before hand.

I spent all day yesterday ringing the office, then finally got through this morning. The guy on the phone basically told me there's nothing he can do, he can't bring it forward a day so it can be collected on Friday. He said they make them out in Ballybriggin and will only speed up the process for a death or illness.

My question is have I any hope of getting it this Friday? Is there any other route i can go down? I'm in Mayo, and I'm wondering is it worth a journey up to Dublin tomorrow to talk to them face to face, or is it a lost cause at this stage. I'm gutted because i will lose €430 worth of flights and accommodation if I can't get it by Friday.
    Thanks
    Ross

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement