Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

You should have been given a receipt/sticker with a barcode on it that has the registered number of your application on it. Type that in on the site and it should show up, however the application just tends to stay at registered until just the moment it gets printed so not really of huge benefit. From other people on here's experience they seem to be getting through them close enough to the 10 working days.

So I should be golden bar any complications?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

fabvinny wrote: »
    get in early so friday with your proof of travel and you might be able to collect it monaday around lunchtime.best of luck.
    Ok Vinny, ill try. thanks man

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

meant to be 20.55 Monday evening
    It might be easier and cheaper for you to go to Belfast and get an Easyjet flight (no passport required)!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

It might be easier and cheaper for you to go to Belfast and get an Easyjet flight (no passport required)!

€88 for a return, thats a very good possibility! :D
    Thanks BB! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Hey guys, just wondering can anyone put my mind at ease I'm sweating a bit!

Going to France on the Monday 24th June, sent off for my passport on the Thursday 7th June, using Passport Express which has a 10 working day turnaround, checked the website with date issued 20th, does that mean its posted that day or arriving that day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hi.

Will an Irish citizen who has an expired Irish passport & a valid US, one have any trouble traveling to the UK on just the US passport? The US passport does not have any sort of holiday visa for Ireland in it, as the holder has always entered Ireland using their Irish passport. Don't know the method of travel yet. It may be ferry, it may be either Ryanair or Aer Lingus.

I know that Ryanair require a passport as ID, but are there any other hoops that they make the holder jump thru if they are traveling on a non EU passport? I am aware of the common travel zone thingy that goes on between the UK and Ireland, but does that apply to all travelers or just Irish and UK citizens?

Getting the Irish passport renewed before the trip in not an option btw. Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Hi.

Will an Irish citizen who has an expired Irish passport & a valid US, one have any trouble traveling to the UK on just the US passport? The US passport does not have any sort of holiday visa for Ireland in it, as the holder has always entered Ireland using their Irish passport. Don't know the method of travel yet. It may be ferry, it may be either Ryanair or Aer Lingus.

I know that Ryanair require a passport as ID, but are there any other hoops that they make the holder jump thru if they are traveling on a non EU passport? I am aware of the common travel zone thingy that goes on between the UK and Ireland, but does that apply to all travelers or just Irish and UK citizens?

Getting the Irish passport renewed before the trip in not an option btw. Ta.

The common travel are only applies to UK and Irish citizens. I believe it does apply to legal residents of Ireland and the UK also. If this is the case you can travel on your valid US passport (for the airlines) and just have another valid form of ID (i.e drivers licence ect.) for UK boarder agency.

For the ferries Irish Ferries and Stenaline do not require any id for check in but there is immigration control at both sides. The immigration in the sea ports generally just ask you your nationality as you go through. If you were to say you were Irish and they don't believe you they will ask for production of an ID. In most cases an expired Irish passport will satisfy them.

I work in Dublin Port. There are many regular travellers who have no id whatsoever and travel using utility bills and birth certs without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Alainn Beauty MUA

What is a professional licence? Generally speaking Aer Lingus will accept anything at all.

haha sorry my bad i meant Provisional Driving Licence?thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Hi, Sent off my passport application using passport express, I have been keeping an eye on the website and it is showing as "Received on 29/05/2013 and has been registered".It also says an issue date of 12th June(yesterday). I'm just wondering from other peoples experience how long does it take to get the passport back and if there is a problem with it how soon would you find out (I am just a bit concerned about the photographs, hopefully worrying over nothing)

Thanks for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 faddenm

Ath trasna wrote: »
    Hi, Sent off my passport application using passport express, I have been keeping an eye on the website and it is showing as "Received on 29/05/2013 and has been registered".It also says an issue date of 12th June(yesterday). I'm just wondering from other peoples experience how long does it take to get the passport back and if there is a problem with it how soon would you find out (I am just a bit concerned about the photographs, hopefully worrying over nothing)

Thanks for any info.

It might be best to ring the passport office and ask, my colleague in work received her new passport this morning and her application was received on May 29th and her issue date was June 12th.

My application was received May 30th and the issue date is today but the application is still at checking stage :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 JoustKontrol

faddenm wrote: »
    It might be best to ring the passport office and ask, my colleague in work received her new passport this morning and her application was received on May 29th and her issue date was June 12th.

My application was received May 30th and the issue date is today but the application is still at checking stage :(

What part in ireland are you from if you don't mind me asking?.

My issue date is June 18th but I'm due to fly out the afternoon of the 20th. I'm also located in the North West so I'm very anxious and debating what the best action for me would be to take.

I'm very interested in seeing if your passport arrives tomorrow, the day after your issue date.

I sent my application lastThursday the 6th of June. I was hoping to have it for the 21st, will I get it? My issue date is the 20th.

What part in ireland are you from if you don't mind me asking?.

My issue date is June 18th but I'm due to fly out the afternoon of the 20th. I'm also located in the North West so I'm very anxious and debating what the best action for me would be to take.

I'm very interested in seeing if your passport arrives tomorrow, the day after your issue date.

I'm located in Leinster. I rang this morning and asked about getting it by tomorrow and collecting it in Molesworth St as opposed to it going in the post to Leinster. They were very nice on the phone and I'm expecting a call to let me know when what time I can collect the passport tomorrow, the problem is on the tracking system it's not approved yet so not sure if I will be collecting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 derm58

faddenm wrote: »
    I'm located in Leinster. I rang this morning and asked about getting it by tomorrow and collecting it in Molesworth St as opposed to it going in the post to Leinster. They were very nice on the phone and I'm expecting a call to let me know when what time I can collect the passport tomorrow, the problem is on the tracking system it's not approved yet so not sure if I will be collecting it!

i tried ringing today but got a voice message saying they wont take phone-calls. the message said to send an email instead.
    what time did you ring ?

derm58 wrote: »
    i tried ringing today but got a voice message saying they wont take phone-calls. the message said to send an email instead.
    what time did you ring ?

9am on the dot and got through. My work colleague found that if she kept ringing she would get through to the holding line to talk to someone and that was late morning a couple of days ago. I sent an email last night and didn't get any reply.

I got a call there to say my passport is ready and to collect it tomorrow afternoon :D the lady also said the tracking online would update shortly as my application wasn't updated today and I was worrying if my application was rejected.

Best to ring early morning and talk to them about your application, I found them very helpful. Good luck with your application!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Could anyone help me on this?

I got my second passport 5years ago and it expires this month, and I'm 18 now.

Do I just apply as normal as a renewal or do I go with first time adult application?

I'm just confused! :S

Thanks in advance! :D

Need my passport for the 21St, issue date is the 20th, will I get it in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Need my passport for the 21St, issue date is the 20th, will I get it in time?

If you send it now? Then No.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    If you send it now? Then No.

Sent it last Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭try

Why do we have to show a passport at passport control in Dublin airport when travelling within the UK and Ireland common travel area from England to Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've shown my DL instead on several occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

try wrote: »
    Why do we have to show a passport at passport control in Dublin airport when travelling within the UK and Ireland common travel area from England to Ireland?

Because they don't have a special area for arrivals from UK+channel islands. Similarly some UK airports have a special area, but others don't. Gatwick certainly does, all you have to do is show your boarding pass to get through. London City airport only has 1 runway, and if it's a flight from Ireland arriving they just temporarily open/remove all the immigration checks - walk straight through without showing anything.

I think if you showed your boarding pass in Dublin you could get through without a passport.

Its weird, i accidentally went to the UK and then France and back again on an expired passport. I thought i had another year but nobody noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Far as I know, its only Ryanair that asks for a passport when you're going to Britain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

For immigration as long as you have acceptable proof of Irish nationality it's ok, passport is just convenient. Airlines differ on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

TheChizler wrote: »
    For immigration as long as you have acceptable proof of Irish nationality it's ok, passport is just convenient. Airlines differ on the matter.

This has got nothing to do with it. There is a common travel area between Ireland and the UK, as per the anglo-irish agreement.

Airline check-in and national border control are completely seperate things. Ryanair insist on a passport, but border control do not if travelling between Ireland and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I always found it funny you land in Liverpool and walk straight out of the airport without seeing a passport desk at all. Arrive at an Irish Airport then its passport control for you. Same with the ferry. Go to Holyhead then no passport control arrive back at Dun Laoighre or Irish Ferries Dublin port theres passoport control. However if you arrive at T2 Stena in Dublin Port then no passport control. Also never passport control if you arrive by car just sometimes random checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

srsly78 wrote: »
    <snip>

I think if you showed your boarding pass in Dublin you could get through without a passport.
    plus only irish and british citizens can travel without a passport so if you cannot convince the lad checking passports that you are irish or british (through accent and random general knowledge or otherwise) then you will have hassles and may not be let in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

My brother has a passport due for collection in Dublin after 3.30pm today. He is in Galway and has asked me to collect it for him, to save him the travel to Dublin today....he flies tomorrow.

He has given me the collection number. I can't get through to the office to confirm that they will give me his passport. If they don't, then he won't be going anywhere tomorrow.

Will they give it to me, or it is too much of a risk for him not to hit the road straight away,

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I was in the Passport office yesterday collecting my own passport. There was a fella at the hatch next to me collecting one for his son so it probably is doable.

However, I don't know if yer man had some prior arrangement with the office to enable him to do so. So I'm not 100%.

Keep ringing them on (01) 671 1633. Their phone lines are always busy but you will get through eventually.

Bear in mind, the office closes at 4.30 so if you don't have any joy by at least 2 o clock, I'd suggest your brother gets his skates on to drive up himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement