Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

srsly78 wrote: »
    This has got nothing to do with it. There is a common travel area between Ireland and the UK, as per the anglo-irish agreement.

It pre-dates the Anglo-Irish agreement, it goes back to the time we declared a Republic at which point the UK parliament passed the Ireland Act 1949 which effectively said that the new republic would not be treated as a foreign country which is how Irish people arriving in the UK were immediately allowed to register to vote and they did not require a passport to travel between the two islands.

To answer the OP's question, there was a time when the levels of traffic passing through Dublin airport allowed them to send passengers arriving from the UK down a separate corridor and straight into baggage reclaim with no passport check. With the Celtic Tiger and the explosion in passenger numbers this became impossible to maintain so everyone was sent down a gangway which contained an immigration control point.

If you travelled to the UK with Aer Lingus prior to 9/11, you didn't require identification of any kind and on the odd occasion you arrived home to find that your plane had docked at a gate from where you were sent to an immigration desk, you could just flash the boarding card and they let you through.

Since 9/11, every airline requires some kind of ID and I'm probably typical in that I just bring the passport everywhere because it makes things easier, especially when boarding at the airport coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

i collected my own passport in Balbriggian a few months ago, i just called to the door, gave the collection number and was handed a sealed package, there is no way the person who gave me the passport knew i was the correct person, i was not asked for ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

jjbrien wrote: »
    I always found it funny you land in Liverpool and walk straight out of the airport without seeing a passport desk at all. Arrive at an Irish Airport then its passport control for you. Same with the ferry. Go to Holyhead then no passport control arrive back at Dun Laoighre or Irish Ferries Dublin port theres passoport control. However if you arrive at T2 Stena in Dublin Port then no passport control. Also never passport control if you arrive by car just sometimes random checks.

stansted have been checking passports the last few times that I've gone through - monday morning being the most recent

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Its weird, i accidentally went to the UK and then France and back again on an expired passport. I thought i had another year but nobody noticed.

Funny enough the same happened to me, over and back to Amsterdam on an expired passport :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

wazzer1 wrote: »
    Funny enough the same happened to me, over and back to Amsterdam on an expired passport :)

Never chance it though, I was with somebody once and he got turned back at the airport over it, only going to France too, so it wasn't even a tricky destination.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Now that you mention it, I wasn't asked for ID yesterday either. Just the acknowledgement slip with the barcode sticker on it.

Even if I didn't have that I reckon just giving the clerk my application number would have done me.

If you can get down there in the next hour OP, you'll know for sure and still give your brother time to leg it to Dublin if you are refused.

Don't bother queuing at the reception desk inside the front door. Just go straight up to the first floor and take a ticket.

If there is a queue just ask one of the clerks when they are free if its possible so you'll know if its worth waiting or not. It will only take a couple of seconds to ask so you won't be holding anyone else up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Sent it last Thursday

Looks like we have the same situation, sent on the 7th, issue date is the 20th, except im leaving on the 24th rather than the 21th, I cant say if it will arrive on that date or not......heres to hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Never chance it though, I was with somebody once and he got turned back at the airport over it, only going to France too, so it wasn't even a tricky destination.

+1 Happened me and a colleague in Dublin airport flying to Paris a few years ago, he arrived at the airport and only then realised that his passport had expired. My experience at the time was that people in suits arriving in CDG off a morning flight only had to wave the passport at the officials so we went to check-in anyway but the lady on the Aer Lingus desk said that if he was stopped, not alone would he be refused entry but that Aer Lingus would be fined for letting him through and their systems would be able to show that she had checked him in so she would get her ass kicked. For all those good reasons, she refused to give him a boarding card.

Unlike Ireland, in some countries your passport is checked by immigration on departure so I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to fly home on an expired passport, might be a sticky situation. Not worth the risk IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

OK so just got his passport for him now.

They were sound at the passport office. The lady asked for a written letter authorizing me to take it on his behalf, but then accepted my suggestion of him taking a photo of this letter and emailing it onto me. Once I then showed my own ID and the reference number they just handed me the passport.

Whole thing took 15 minutes. Bro is thrilled. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Ah jaysyus no wouldnt chance it, i was just too dim to notice it was out of date :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

donmeister wrote: »
    Looks like we have the same situation, sent on the 7th, issue date is the 20th, except im leaving on the 24th rather than the 21th, I cant say if it will arrive on that date or not......heres to hoping!

Pity we can't get a decent response from anyone .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I booked a flight and entered details of passengers i.e one of the passagers surname was O' Riordan. I entered that in the field for the passanger details and when i got the flight details afterwards. His surname came out as ORiordan. On flight ticket its ORiordan and on passport its O' Riordan. Is this an issue? We are going to the USA.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

I travelled with a friend to the US his surname is Tyrell but on the ticket it had Tyrel. He had no issues. That was going through immigration over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Amprodude wrote: »
    On flight ticket its ORiordan and on passport its O' Riordan. Is this an issue? We are going to the USA.

No. You shouldn't have a problem. Many (all?) flight ticketing systems I've seen drop the apostrophe (or put in "\\\").

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Passport Forms- Do you need to have kids with you to get page 3 of the passport form signed off ( the page where parents have to sign in front of a witness if the child is U18) .I know they have to be present for the back page sign off but have a situation where it is not possible to have kids with me for this. They will be completing the rest of the form with their mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Hi all!
    submitted applications and confirmed as recieved as of the 10th april.
    We are travelling tuesday week and still no passports.
    The online tracker facility states they are issued since the 30th May!

We have been calling(straight to voicemail and they hang-up) and emailing(some good that does!) for the last three weeks and still nothing!
    the lead time is 6-8 weeks granted to they are simply taking the piss now!
    What can I do?

call up in person friday and cut them a new one?
    totally inconvenienced as I am in galway!
    great service!!!

faddenm wrote: »
    Great stuff, mine has moved to being checked as of this afternoon. Fingers crossed I get it by Friday...*squeaky bum time*

Hi just wondering as our ones are recieved and registered.
    issue date issued but no passports!
    Am I waiting on the status to be changes to "checked"?
    thanks
    john
    sweating bullets now!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Hi all!
    submitted applications and confirmed as recieved as of the 10th april.
    We are travelling tuesday week and still no passports.
    A friend of a friend works in the PPO and did a wee bit of detective work to find that they have not been even opened(processed) but the online tracker facility states they are issued since the 30th May!

We have been calling(straight to voicemail and they hang-up) and emailing(some good that does!) for the last three weeks and still nothing!
    the lead time is 6-8 weeks granted to they are simply taking the piss now!
    What can I do?

call up in person friday and cut them a new one?
    totally inconvenienced as I am in galway!
    great service!!!

Did you use passport express, if not then that could be the issue, or else there was a problem with the application itself ie. Incorrect photo or the application wasn't filled out properly.

Did you use passport express, if not then that could be the issue, or else there was a problem with the application itself ie. Incorrect photo or the application wasn't filled out properly.

Herself submitted the application in the post office and I stressed my preference for ppe.
    So I imagine its non ppe.
    Notwithstanding the application is in its 10th week of being processed.
    So is it like this ppe = 10 working days
    Non ppe = 10 weeks plus?
    So why have non ppe option if they are never going to be processed?

Herself submitted the application in the post office and I stressed my preference for ppe.
    So I imagine its non ppe.
    Notwithstanding the application is in its 10th week of being processed.
    So is it like this pipe 10 working days
    Non ppe 10 weeks plus?
    So why have non pipe if they are never going to be processed?

So what should I do?
    Print off flights and head up on Friday?
    Little option really.
    Love dealing with the government

• Advertisement

or else there was a problem with the application itself ie. Incorrect photo or the application wasn't filled out properly.
    would they not tell you if there was an issue with the application or do you have to guess?
    jeez !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

would they not tell you if there was an issue with the application or do you have to guess?
    jeez !

If there is an issue they will write to you explaining what is needed

What exactly does Issue date mean? The day produce it, they post it, or they the day you receive it?

The day it is issued. That could be collected or posted

AGC wrote: »
    The day it is issued. That could be collected or posted

Cool, cheers for that, just needed to be clarified! Do you know where to collect? I might go up to Dublin and collect at I need it for next Monday, date of issue is Thursday 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

So what should I do?
    Print off flights and head up on Friday?
    Little option really.
    Love dealing with the government

Send an email to them. As the applications have gone by the issue by date they will take action (when they get to your email). If you have email confirmation of your flights attach this as well.

It is really bad that after 10 weeks your applications have not been dealt with but the fact remains that if the applications were sent by Passport Express you would have had them weeks ago (even allowing for stuff being wrong with them).

The email addresses are on the back of the info notes that came with the form.

donmeister wrote: »
    Cool, cheers for that, just needed to be clarified! Do you know where to collect? I might go up to Dublin and collect at I need it for next Monday, date of issue is Thursday 20th.

Molesworth Street, but if you are collecting you will need to contact them first and tell them as they will automatically post it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Can anyone help?

Is first time adult applicants for adults who never had a passport and does it mean it's for adults (over 18) who had a child passport but is getting an adult one for there first time?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carpy

To give an indication of my recent experience of passport express. I send documents at the post office on May 30th and received my passport today (Dublin area). They were received on May 31st (Friday). The online system went from registered to printed last Friday afternoon, which it said it was posted and gave a tracking number yesterday. Details of the an post tracking was only visible today.

Let’s assume the date the application was received in Balbriggan was day 0, even if I would have thought the clock would start from the day posted considering there was no suggestion this was not the case. The Passport was printed on day 9, it was posted on day 10 and it was received on day 11. The issue date on the web tracking was day 9, so you could expect to receive it in the post two days later.

It definitely could be more transparent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

iDann wrote: »
    Can anyone help?

Is first time adult applicants for adults who never had a passport and does it mean it's for adults (over 18) who had a child passport but is getting an adult one for there first time?

Thanks

Its for people who never had an Irish passport before. If you had a passport as a child all you need to submit is the previous passport NOT any of the additional docs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement