Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I'm in the same boat, this is my 11th day waiting and it is only being processed tomorrow (well, that's the issue date online). Could I call them and collect it tomorrow? The flight is Thursday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JoustKontrol

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, this is my 11th day waiting and it is only being processed tomorrow (well, that's the issue date online). Could I call them and collect it tomorrow? The flight is Thursday morning!

My issue date was today so I called them this morning at around 10am (and eventually got through after around 10-20 calls before being put on hold for an additional 20 minutes or so). Once I got through the female on the phone said that my passport would be checked and printed on the issue date (today) permitting my application is valid, and then dispatched the following day.

I then arranged with her to collect the passport in the office tomorrow, and after I gave my phone number said she would call me tomorrow morning to see if my passport would be ready,and then I would be able to collect it tomorrow afternoon after 2:30pm.

My passport was still at the "registered" stage on the tracking before and after the phone call. After sweating bullets all day at work thinking my passport wouldn't be ready in time, because like you my flight is on Thursday.
    I then checked my passport tracking a couple of hours ago and saw that my passport has been printed.

So, if I were you, I'd ring them first thing in the morning, as close to 9am as possible, see what stage your passport is at and try and reason with them to ensure you can get your passport by tomorrow closing time. I wish you the best of luck, it's a horrible situation to be in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

My issue date was today so I called them this morning at around 10am (and eventually got through after around 10-20 calls before being put on hold for an additional 20 minutes or so). Once I got through the female on the phone said that my passport would be checked and printed on the issue date (today) permitting my application is valid, and then dispatched the following day.

I then arranged with her to collect the passport in the office tomorrow, and after I gave my phone number said she would call me tomorrow morning to see if my passport would be ready,and then I would be able to collect it tomorrow afternoon after 2:30pm.

My passport was still at the "registered" stage on the tracking before and after the phone call. After sweating bullets all day at work thinking my passport wouldn't be ready in time, because like you my flight is on Thursday.
    I then checked my passport tracking a couple of hours ago and saw that my passport has been printed.

So, if I were you, I'd ring them first thing in the morning, as close to 9am as possible, see what stage your passport is at and try and reason with them to ensure you can get your passport by tomorrow closing time. I wish you the best of luck, it's a horrible situation to be in
    Thanks a million, that advice really helped. I can always push the flight back on Thursday if I have to, but that would cost an absolute bomb to do so. Thanks for the advice anyway, I'll do that in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I'm planning on booking flights from Dublin to Manchester in August within the next week or so with Aer Lingus, I've read on the site that no passport is required so I'm presuming my age card and/or provisional license would be okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'm planning on booking flights from Dublin to Manchester in August within the next week or so with Aer Lingus, I've read on the site that no passport is required so I'm presuming my age card and/or provisional license would be okay?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Bit rattled now. My wife's passport's issue date is today and we're flying out Monday morning. Will we get it by Friday?

I've emailed the passport office 3 times this week and got no reply and have had zero success getting through on the phone.

Can anyone put my mind at ease? The online status says Registered with the issue date today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭oneweb

My recent experience (May/Jun 2013) renewing an Irish Passport, hopefully it'll put some of ye at ease.

First of all, *APPLY EARLY!*, even if you're not travelling soon. You'll save yourself a lot of stress. (Not that I listened to that advice!) You can't travel beyond the UK without a valid passport.

Passport Express will be the only postage option from Sun 30th Jun 2013 so this may lengthen the time taken if all applications become first come-first served. (Previously regular/registered post applications took 4-6 weeks). It's actually more expensive to apply at the public counter.

At the time of writing this, the Passport Express Turnaround Times page hadn't been updated since mid May. My application took exactly 10 working days from posting the application to new passport being issued, add a day or two for postage.

I called during the process and was told that pretty much only the day before the Issue Date is when everything starts (checking etc.) If there's anything wrong they'll call you. It's *VITAL* to keep the Application Number that peels off the application form if you want to check on progress!

Progress:
    Thu 30th Apr 4:30pm: Submitted application via Passport Express at the Post Office.

Fri 31st Apr: Passport tracking status updated to Application has been received and has been registered.

..no updates until...
    (bear in mind Bank Holiday of Mon 3rd Jun)

Thu 13th Jun 1:45pm: status updated to Application has been received and is being checked.

Fri 14th Jun 1:45pm: status updated to Your new passport has been posted in An Post envelope reference no. PX PPXXXXXXXXXIE

Some useful info...
    Documentation:
    - I didn't need to send my Birth Cert to renew my passport, just the previous passport.

- Wait until you're at the Garda station or wherever you get the photos witnessed to sign your application (if you already have it signed, they'll probably just ask you to write your signature on a piece of paper).

- They accepted my photos as they came out of the passport photo machine without being cut into 4, but the site advises this could be a problem possibly chopping the witness signature when they cut them out (neither the Garda station nor post office had a scissors!) Cut them if you can, it'll save them time processing.

- I forgot to write my application number on the back of the photos, again this wasn't an issue but I'm sure would have helped if they got separated from the application itself.

Phone:
    - If you're calling the Passport Office, you might need to try a number of times to actually get through. "... Unfortunately due to the high volume of calls we are unable to answer you at the moment". Keep trying and you'll get into the queue eventually.

- Once you're in the call queue ("... Please hold ..."), you could be waiting around 20-40 minutes to talk to someone. The hold music isn't the worst but put the phone away from your ear before the saxophone starts! Just before you're answered, you'll hear a brief ring so you're safe enough leaving the phone down on speaker.

Application Status:
    - The status page is only updated a number of times during the day (1:45pm, 6:45pm, I'll update with the other times as I find them).

- As soon as the application is marked received and registered, you'll get an indicative Issue Date. Provided there are no mistakes on the application or issues with photos, this is the date that it'll either put in the post or (if you called to arrange it, which I did) available for collection from the Passport Office after 2:30pm. (I never got a call to say it had arrived there, and the status on the site said it was posted, but the An Post tracking number didn't work 'cos they had indeed sent it straight to the Passport Office, guy on phone and girl at desk were a bit confused but very helpful).

The Advice Page 8) states "Customers who have made arrangements to collect their passport, should not call to the public counter until they have confirmed on the website that the relevant passport is ready for collection". Unless your application actually says Your new passport is ready for collection (mine didn't), I'd suggest calling the Passport Service ( 016711633 ) to confirm it's arrived at the office before you go.

Office:
    - The Passport Office on Molesworth Street is open until 4:30pm, not 5pm as the site states.

- I only had to wait around 20 minutes to collect from the office around lunchtime Tuesday.

Random:
    - Passports are printed in Balbriggan (applications sent to the Dublin address at least)

- You get your old passport back, stamped CANCELLED and with the cover pages snipped at the corners.

- Apparently, according to the Advice Page 1) "The Passport Service will only accept photocopies in respect of passports with six months or less validity on the date of application". This would seem to indicate that you can continue to use your nearly-expired passport while/until your renewal is processed. I'd suggest calling to confirm they'll let you do this and how to proceed if you think you might need to go this route.

Obvious:
    - Your passport number and validity date (obviously) will be different, so take that into account when checking in to your flight online, use the details of the passport you'll have at the boarding gate!

I have to say that for the number of calls they must get every day, I found the people on the phones to be really helpful and courteous considering how many people probably lose the rag with them so be patient! :)

(All of the above is based on my experience and stuff I wish I could have found in a single place when I went through the process, so please use it as a guide, not an absolute definition. I'm open to correction or addition.) If anyone has useful info on how problematic applications/refused photos are handled and any other info it'd be great to let us know.

Hope that helps, happy travelling!

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Thanks for that post, very helpful. Issue date is next Tuesday and leaving on the Sunday, I think I'll just sit tight so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GeriK

My issue date of passport was 17/06/13 which I have not received travelling on 29/06/13 I book an appointment for passport office for next Tuesday I can cancel it if I get in the meantime, also send numerous emails and faxes no reply

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

My issue date was yesterday, it's says on their website it is printed, will I have it by Monday ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

My issue date was yesterday, it's says on their website it is printed, will I have it by Monday ?

Sorry to hear that! My issue date was yesterday, website said printed until about 7.45pm, got a tracking number then received it this morning. Delighted, crisis averted. 11 day turnaround!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eicar

Please anybody help! Was checkin in online last night an realized my sons passport was out of date only yesterday I am suppose to be flying this afternoon ! Anybody know anything I could do?????

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

What is ryanair's latest stance on passport. Travelling to Uk on 8-12 July. My passport expires on 29th July. Will I be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

halfback5 wrote: »
    What is ryanair's latest stance on passport. Travelling to Uk on 8-12 July. My passport expires on 29th July. Will I be ok?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

Yes.

cheers. just the missus was starting to freak out.

Alls I can see on the ryanair website is a valid passport is needed. but it doesnt state exactly what a valid passport is.

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Would of been better in another forum. How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 meerkatz

Hi, I'm hoping to find ou if my passport is ok to travel from Dublin to Ibiza. I'm leaving Dublin on the 13th, returning on the 23rd July but my passport expires 30th July. Is there any minimum requirements, its not very clear on any of my search results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You're fine. Your passport is valid for the entire trip so no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

sent april 9th dfa.ie received them 10th we got them last thursday the 20th june.
    flying out tomorrow phewwwwwww!!!
    too close for comfort and communication with dfa non existent!
    i want a job there!
    stressfree i would imagine!
    john

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hey guys flying out on the 4th of July, used passport express service and the application was received on the 13th. It was a renewal of a damaged passport and the man at the post office insisted I didn't need a birth cert ect (I know its my responsibility to check it) anyway tuns out these were needed and so I sent them the next day.

According to passport tracker my issue date is the 26th but I'm a bit wary that there may be a problem with the application as of yet. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the application will I be notified immediately or will there be a delay. What have people's experience been with the service in this regard?

Thanks in advance guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Moved to travel forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

Isnt there an emergency passport you can get.

here it is - http://www.dfa.ie/home/?id=253

oh - you said 'this afternoon'. .. how'd you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eicar

Emergency they said is only a death!!!! Won't get it till today ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Where were you flying and who with? No use now, but if it had been to the UK with any airline other than Ryanair a passport would not have been required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Hi folks. In 2008 I went to the US and then went to Vancouver before flying home. When I went over the Canadian border, I had my passport checked, but they did not remove the small docket that was stapled in by US Immigration that I believe was supposed to be removed & processed when I left the US. The friend I was travelling with had his removed.

I'm wondering if this means that US immigration still believe I'm in the US. I'm worried that the next time I want to travel to the US that I may be refused a visa. I believe this would be pretty detrimental to ever successfully getting a visa for the US again, as I'm told choosing the 'yes' option to the question 'have you ever been refused a visa' on the application basically means you'll be refused.

Anyone have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 katie1982

im surprised..they usually fleece people

• Registered Users Posts: 20 caien

Hi guys,

I'm due to travel to china on Saturday 6th, and on Monday posted my visa app inl. passport to a friend in Dublin to drop into the embassy on Tuesday (I live in Kerry and wouldn't have been able to make the 12 noon closing time). However it still hasn't arrived and an post cannot find it:( I can only assume its been lost and because of visa processing times I can't wait around for it to show up.

My question is if I were to go into the Cork office tomorrow (Thursday) and explain, would I be likely to be able to get a new passport by Friday? My visa application needs to be in by Monday morning at the latest (and that's still cutting it super fine) and I won't make it to pick up the passport Monday and then get to the embassy by noon.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'm fighting hysteria here (a whole years worth a travel plans about to implode...)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

seanin4711 wrote: »
    sent april 9th dfa.ie received them 10th we got them last thursday the 20th june.
    flying out tomorrow phewwwwwww!!!
    too close for comfort and communication with dfa non existent!
    i want a job there!
    stressfree i would imagine!
    john
    i know someone very well who works there,and no you dont want a job there,especially this time of the year!!
    people coming in who have booked their holidays in january and check their passport the day before they fly out in june!!who then get abusive with staff because they cant get there passport in 1 day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 katie1982

they received my passport application on 24th and since then it always just says received and registerd..never goes to next step..says issue date of 5th july..iv holiday booked for 16th..does anyone know how long it usually stays at received and registered..i wud have thought it wud b moving onto the checking stage at this point

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement