Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Unfortunately that's my problem, I don't have any other ID. All I had was my passport but now it's lost, do I have any other options?

Yeah check what the weather is like at home from July 12th

But seriously .... you will need to fulfil the requirements so that means

1) proof of name - you must surely have some document with your name on it

2) proof of address - same as above, if you work/are on the dole/are a student you must have some doc with your name on it

3) photo ID - when you call to the Passport Office they can print you off a Certificate of Identity which you will need to have completed by someone in a position of authority & who can confirm your ID

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

netopia wrote: »
    Yeah check what the weather is like at home from July 12th

But seriously .... you will need to fulfil the requirements so that means

1) proof of name - you must surely have some document with your name on it

2) proof of address - same as above, if you work/are on the dole/are a student you must have some doc with your name on it

3) photo ID - when you call to the Passport Office they can print you off a Certificate of Identity which you will need to have completed by someone in a position of authority & who can confirm your ID

Thanks for the reply, I have proof of name and address it's the photo ID that I don't have and is causing me worry. Will the cetificate of identity have to be signed by a gaurda who personally knows me?

Thanks for the reply, I have proof of name and address it's the photo ID that I don't have and is causing me worry. Will the cetificate of identity have to be signed by a gaurda who personally knows me?

Yes but there are other people like a school principal, doctor, solicitor etc who can also sign it but they definitely have to know you.

This is worst case scenario - there is a possibility if you have only lost one passport and they are satisfied from what you present to them at the counter that you are who you say you are (and the person in the photo from your last passport of course) they might (small chance) let you away without getting the cert of ID completed.

Your biggest issue is you've cut it very fine day wise to get a passport at this stage. You should really go online before you go to the office and book yourself an appointment. https://www.passportappointments.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

sorry you don't have any ID to show them. We would really be speculating to tell you what they might want to see as an alternative. Give them a call and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mari41

I have just sent off passport application for my youngest son born 2005, it was passport express, I have just read online that kids born from 2005 onwards must include parents birth cert also, nobody informed me of this, is this correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Mari41 wrote: »
    I have just sent off passport application for my youngest son born 2005, it was passport express, I have just read online that kids born from 2005 onwards must include parents birth cert also, nobody informed me of this, is this correct
    the need for extra documentation for kids born after 2005 is quite clearly stated on the DFA website section for Passports for Children
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=255

the need for extra documentation for kids born after 2005 is quite clearly stated on the DFA website section for Passports for Children
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=255

It isnt stated anywhere on the application form, neither are the people working at the post office aware of it. Unless, by some divine intervention, you would suspect that after a cetain date, you need different criteria from your other childrens application, it is crazy to expect people to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

A parent's birth cert or parent's passport will do. The info is in the notes on the passport application form - I have one.
    You may have an old copy of course.

roro2 wrote: »
    A parent's birth cert or parent's passport will do. The info is in the notes on the passport application form - I have one.
    You may have an old copy of course.

If I post on the additional birth cert with the passport express I.d number, do you think it will be possible for them to match it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

I'd phone them first to be sure, as you wouldn't want a birth cert to go missing. But I've found them reasonable to deal with in the past.

roro2 wrote: »
    I'd phone them first to be sure, as you wouldn't want a birth cert to go missing. But I've found them reasonable to deal with in the past.

Cheers thanks

Mari41 wrote: »
    It isnt stated anywhere on the application form, neither are the people working at the post office aware of it. Unless, by some divine intervention, you would suspect that after a cetain date, you need different criteria from your other childrens application, it is crazy to expect people to know

There are nearly 2 pages of the 4 pages of notes that come with the application form on the fact that children born after 01/01/2005 need to submit their birth certs PLUS additional documents to prove entitlement to Irish citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gemma123

Hi,

I sent my application for a renewal passport for myself and my daughter a few weeks ago through the London embassy.
    It was received and registered on the 17/06/2013 and the issue date was 01/07/2013. As of today it still hasn't moved from registered.
    I'm going on holidays on the 18th July. I've emailed the london passport office and they have been very good at responding, but can't give me a date as it is all done through the Dublin office.
    Does anyone have any experience of getting passports through the embassy and if so how long does it usually take to be issued.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

Thanks for all the replies. Went up this morning and they were very helpful. Was in the queue for about 5 minutes and explained my situation and was given a certification of identity and she took everything else off me and I payed for passport and ran to gaurda to get the certificate signed and brought back and will have the passport by 11th of July at 11am! Very happy with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

sham69 wrote: »
    Indian embassy

Doesn't make sense. The Indian authorities have no involvement in the acquisition of an Irish passport by a person who is entitled to be an Irish citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cianmg

I have lost my Irish passport and have a 2 week trip to Europe tomorrow travelling by ferry through the UK and flying home from Venice through Manchester. I have lost my Irish Passport yet was born in USA so have a US passport. I will be in LOndon for the weekend can i go to the Irish embassy and get them to stamp my us passport to show i am an Irish citizen
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

Can you not just travel on your US passport?!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cianmg

I am not sure i can reenter Ireland or enter UK by plane as there is no stamp on my passport to show where i have entered Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Doesn't make sense. The Indian authorities have no involvement in the acquisition of an Irish passport by a person who is entitled to be an Irish citizen.

Purely advice on what was needed documentation wise?
    They then have to go back to the indian embassy with the passport in order to get a visa sorted.

He has an appointment with the passport office today so hopefully he will get sorted.

I have to say I am sorry I posted here looking for help as all you did (KOTEK BESAR) was spend your time trying to refute everything I said and didnt offer any constructive advice at all?

I made it clear that there is no issue with the child being eligible for the passport it was strictly a timing issue but yet you continue to question me regarding the indian embassy's involvement.

Thanks to others that gave me advice, greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 TheCatcher

Hi there,
    My friend who is Irish but currently living in Edinburgh has lost her Irish passport. She is supposed to travel to Ireland on Thursday, and then to America on Sunday. It looks like she can get some sort of travel cert to cover her for the journey to Ireland, but it is the trip from Ireland to America that looks like it may cause trouble. According to the citizen's information website, it is possible to get an emergency passport within 3 days, but she will only be in Ireland Thursday, Friday, and then fly out on Saturday. I was wondering it it would be possible for me to apply for a passport for her on her behalf in Ireland, or will she have to come home early?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Chexmoir23

Does anyone know what happens if the passport photos don't meet the requirements? Do they send your application back or do you have to repay the fees? The photos I sent had my gaze slightly to the right rather than looking directly at the centre and wondering if that would matter.

Also has anyone used passport express recently and how long did it take?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

ok i have quite a complicated problem so bare with me till i try explain it

- im Born in UK, both parents are Irish born living in uk & married there

- ive lived in Ireland for nearly a decade and my UK passport has run out and i wish to apply for an Irish one.

-im told i need one of my parents birth Certificates (fair enough) AND their marriage certificate (why?? they were married in the UK & what bearing does this have on my identity, what if they were never married would i not get a passport then?? )

-anyway heres the big problem, i have both certificates or i should say my brother has them..... but he has sent them off to apply for citizenship for his daughter , 3 weeks ago and not a word back & he doesnt have a clue and neither do i when he will get them back

- im due to fly out on august the 14th and i have no ideas when these forms will be back or back in time

- i could recieve a copy of my father or mothers birth certificate no problem at the local registrar here but i wouldnt be able to get a copy of their marriage certifacate from the glasgow registrar in time !!!! why is this stupid certificte even needed???

Any advice greatfully appreicated as im in a bit of a panic, im a worrier in these situations :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Parents marriage certificate not required. Proof of birth to an Irish parent required.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    -im told i need one of my parents birth Certificates (fair enough) AND their marriage certificate (why?? they were married in the UK & what bearing does this have on my identity, what if they were never married would i not get a passport then??)
    I always assume this is to match up your mother's name (appearing on your birth certificate) with her name appearing on her own birth certificate, which (traditionally in Ireland and UK) is completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

I always assume this is to match up your mother's name (appearing on your birth certificate) with her name appearing on her own birth certificate, which (traditionally in Ireland and UK) is completely different.

It is my Fathers birth Cert i will be sending though..

So maybe they would only need the marriage cert if i was using my mothers birth cert ??

Hopefully this is the case as it will save me the expense, and most of all hassle, of getting a copy of their Marriage Cert sent over from Glasgow !!

Fingers crossed ...ill ring up tommorow and let you know what they say for future reference !

• Registered Users Posts: 8 katie1982

the passport tracking system hasnt been working for a week now..keeps saying site is undergoing maintenance..but theres still a section to track the passport but it alwys says error..it never gives an update

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RealisticGuy13

I just took my passport out of my wallet where I keep it and the card with my photo and all my details has cracked at the top and it is nearly coming off. Do I have to apply for a new one now? or, can I just shtick shhome shhticky tape on it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 82,687 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You will need a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 secrets

Hi can anyone help me, i want to book a flight with aerlingus to the uk tomorrow morning but i have no passport or any photo id, do you know if i need any of these and would i have o get a return ticket? please help

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement