Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MRG77

secrets wrote: »
    Hi can anyone help me, i want to book a flight with aerlingus to the uk tomorrow morning but i have no passport or any photo id, do you know if i need any of these and would i have o get a return ticket? please help

If you haven't got a passport or photo ID then you won't be allowed to travel.
    You only have to book a return ticket if you want to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 secrets

Do you know if it is possible to get a photo id on a sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Highly doubtful. Your best bet is the ferry from Dublin. You've probably zero chance of being id'd on it. But you've even less by going Belfast - scotland

Highly unlikely. From the Aer Lingus website:

Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel

Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification.
    Note: In order to travel between Ireland and the UK with photo identification other than a passport, passengers must have been born in Ireland or the UK and also be a citizen of either country.
    The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
    Valid Passport
    Driver's licence with photo
    International student card
    National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    Bus pass with photo
    Work ID with photo
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

I can't see you being able to get any of these tomorrow

Or you could get the bus from Dublin to the UK

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=250

• Advertisement

MRG77 wrote: »
    Highly unlikely. From the Aer Lingus website:

Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel

Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification.
    Note: In order to travel between Ireland and the UK with photo identification other than a passport, passengers must have been born in Ireland or the UK and also be a citizen of either country.
    The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
    Valid Passport
    Driver's licence with photo
    International student card
    National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    Bus pass with photo
    Work ID with photo
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

I can't see you being able to get any of these tomorrow

Can you get the Photo ID from the Dublin Bus Office (59 Upper O'Connell St) on a Sunday, and would that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Mr.S wrote: »
    Get the bus to London from Dublin, no ID is checked on ferrys. Think its something like 55euro 1 way?

https://194.106.151.95/EurolinesPublic/EurolinesPublicWebApp/EuroPublicTravelDetails.aspx

Takes about 12hours though.

reply to post from 2010 deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Probably a stupid question but I need a passport for 9 days time, if I go into the passport office tomorrow and explain this (with proof of travel arrangements) could I receive a passport in this time before having to pay the 55 euro fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Luno wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but I need a passport for 9 days time, if I go into the passport office tomorrow and explain this (with proof of travel arrangements) could I receive a passport in this time before having to pay the 55 euro fee?

You need to go online and book an appointment https://www.passportappointments.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

So do you need an appointment in the passport office regardless of what you need to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 sophie12345

I applied for my passport in NZ on May 7, it was registered and received and had a due date of May 31. On July 8 I was contacted by the consulate based in auckland to say my photo was declined and to send a new one. They said it would be printed as soon as they received it which was July 10. It is now July 15 and I am travelling in 10 days. It is my first passport with Ireland so I can't pay extra to get it done quickly. Nothing has changed on the website and for it to arrive in time it needs to be sent either today or tomorrow really.

Freaking out here.

I have emailed the new zealand base about 4 times around the photo time and they all seem to think it "should arrive in time" and have informed the Dublin office that I'm travelling on the 25th. I emailed the dublin office but they have not replied.

I probably shouldn't be bugging them but I am freaking out as I otherwise can't travel as I wont have the appropriate work visas. What else can I do? Will further emails annoy them or will it help?

Any advice would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I applied for my passport in NZ on May 7, it was registered and received and had a due date of May 31. On July 8 I was contacted by the consulate based in auckland to say my photo was declined and to send a new one. They said it would be printed as soon as they received it which was July 10. It is now July 15 and I am travelling in 10 days. It is my first passport with Ireland so I can't pay extra to get it done quickly. Nothing has changed on the website and for it to arrive in time it needs to be sent either today or tomorrow really.

Freaking out here.

I have emailed the new zealand base about 4 times around the photo time and they all seem to think it "should arrive in time" and have informed the Dublin office that I'm travelling on the 25th. I emailed the dublin office but they have not replied.

I probably shouldn't be bugging them but I am freaking out as I otherwise can't travel as I wont have the appropriate work visas. What else can I do? Will further emails annoy them or will it help?

Any advice would be great!

In case it doesn't arrive in time..

Are you also a New Zealand national, with an NZ passport? If so, you can travel on this passport, since, so long as you can prove by other means that you are also an Irish national, you are entitled to enter and reside in Ireland / UK indefinitely and other EU member states for up to three months unconditionally*.

*unless you pose a threat to public security, policy or health.

In case it doesn't arrive in time..

Are you also a New Zealand national, with an NZ passport? If so, you can travel on this passport, since, so long as you can prove by other means that you are also an Irish national, you are entitled to enter and reside in Ireland / UK indefinitely and other EU member states for up to three months unconditionally*.

*unless you pose a threat to public security, policy or health.

I am a New Zealander with an NZ passport, I do also have my foreign births registry number / citizenship papers with me, I'm just a bit worried because I think that way may cause a bit of anger on behalf of Heathrow staff.

I thought you would have to travel on the irish passport for this to be valid, since my New Zealand passport would have no work visa associated with it?

As a New Zealander I can travel as a visitor for up to 6 months in the UK but I need to show that I will be leaving the country so that's why I'm worried about using that passport since I have no leaving flight/plans at this stage.

I am a New Zealander with an NZ passport, I do also have my foreign births registry number / citizenship papers with me, I'm just a bit worried because I think that way may cause a bit of anger on behalf of Heathrow staff.

I thought you would have to travel on the irish passport for this to be valid, since my New Zealand passport would have no work visa associated with it?

As a New Zealander I can travel as a visitor for up to 6 months in the UK but I need to show that I will be leaving the country so that's why I'm worried about using that passport since I have no leaving flight/plans at this stage.

Nope, as you have sufficient documentation to prove your Irish nationality, the UK authorities in Heathrow cannot refuse your entry. They may place an entry stamp in your NZ passport which states you can stay for up to six months and cannot work, however this can be ignored.

Your main problem is boarding the plane in New Zealand. Airline staff may erroneously refuse to recognise your Irish nationality in the absence of a valid Irish passport, and see you as a New Zealand national only. NZ nationals may not travel to the UK on a one-way ticket unless in possession of a valid entry visa. So, you should purchase a separate *fully refundable* onward ticket to New Zealand which shows a date of return less than six months from entry to the UK. This will satisfy the airline's staff in the NZ departure airport.

Once in the UK, apply for the ticket to be refunded.

Interesting. Ok thanks for your advice! Hopefully the passport arrives on time anyway!

I looked into tickets and found only business class offered 100% refund while economy was 50%... business costs $6000 so that will be a last resort!

Not only business class. Often "Premium Economy" and the likes offer 100% refundable tickets too. KLM, British Airways etc.. all do it. Anyway, just pay on a credit card, a week later it would be refunded in full..

Fingers crossed your passport arrives on time. But it's nice to know there's a workaround. Either way, you're definitely on going to be able to travel. Are you moving to Ireland, the UK or elsewhere? Out of interest.

Moving to London! Have a whole bunch of interviews set up for my first week there, starting fashion school to do my Masters etc. A lot riding on the passport really. Luckily I'm staying with family over there so no cost on accommodation at the start.

But yea, have been considering moving my flight a week later but with the job interviews I know a few other hundred have applied and I highly doubt they will want to change the date. Also don't want to miss my first week of uni. Especially if the passport still hadn't arrived a week later.

Relax. A passport is merely a travel document. You're equally an Irish citizen without it as you are with it. No need to move flights or otherwise trouble yourself. Luckily you have the NZ passport to get you on the plane. It might be a bit of work otherwise..

Good luck in the UK, hope all goes well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just a follow up! The passport arrived today, it has the issue date of July 10 which is the day they were emailed the photos by the consulate here so they did in fact print it right away. The website trackers still says "Application No. xxxxxxxxxx. This application could not be processed. A letter outlining the reasons for this decision has been posted to you."

So, very interesting but all i can say is I'm so glad it arrived and in plenty of time! Still 9 more days till I travel! Yay.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭NoPasaran

I've a question regarding damaged passports. I'm applying for a replacement as mine is in fairly bad shape after years of using it as ID, gone through the wash, pages torn or ruined, the plastic page even snapped off which I glued back! I've used it in this condition plenty of times but have had grief a few times and I'd rather do without the stress.

Do I have to enclose citizenship information all over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I don't see why they'd need citizenship papers again, surely they can ascertain the damaged passport is the one they issued to you from their own records..?
    If in doubt, call the office, but I think you're just renewing your passport, same as for change of name or running out of blank pages.

Gatica wrote: »
    I don't see why they'd need citizenship papers again, surely they can ascertain the damaged passport is the one they issued to you from their own records..?
    If in doubt, call the office, but I think you're just renewing your passport, same as for change of name or running out of blank pages.
    There is a specific section on the form for damaged passports though, so it could be a different procedure? It's not as if my passport is damaged beyond recognition though, and as you say it surely can't be hard for them to just put the passport number in and see it's all legit.

I don't see such a section on the application form. If it's not beyond recognition then you should just send your passport with the form and fill out section 5 of previous Irish passport and include it with your form.
    http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/Passport_documents/aps1e.pdf

I do not work there though, so if in doubt contact them directly.

Gatica wrote: »
    I don't see such a section on the application form. If it's not beyond recognition then you should just send your passport with the form and fill out section 5 of previous Irish passport and include it with your form.
    http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/Passport_documents/aps1e.pdf

I do not work there though, so if in doubt contact them directly.
    That's an old form. The current ones have checkboxes for "Lost, Stolen Damaged"

In the Application Form Notes document under Section 6 it says
    The "Damaged" box should be used to indicate that a passport has been damaged rendering it unusable for travel. The reason for this damage should be explained in the space provided in this section. The damaged passport must be submitted with your application to the Passport Office.
    You must also submit evidence of Irish citizenship with your application.

I suppose the bold part answers my question I was just sort of hoping for it not to be the case... it seems very unnecessary.

The reason it's annoying is because I was born in UK (Irish parents) and will have to arrange for them to post over their birth cert and whatnot. I've been resident in Ireland for over 5 years as well. Effort!

annoying that they haven't updated the website in that case!

Sorry for you troubles on this, hopefully info that may be of use to someone else with a similar query.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

NoPasaran wrote: »

The reason it's annoying is because I was born in UK (Irish parents) and will have to arrange for them to post over their birth cert and whatnot. I've been resident in Ireland for over 5 years as well. Effort!

im currentley having to do the same thing & im here nearly 10 years , remember if you are using your mothers birth cert then you have to send her marriage cert too.. i am using my Dads birth cert but i have sent down their marriage certificate just in case ..as i dont want to leave anything to chance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Is the passport office sticking to the two week guarantee when using the post express service during the peak now? We're planning a family holiday in August but all our passports need to be renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Is the passport office sticking to the two week guarantee when using the post express service during the peak now? We're planning a family holiday in August but all our passports need to be renewed.

its usually a little less than two weeks but right at this moment its up to 11/12 working days according to their website http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83334

• Advertisement

If you're paying specifically for a 10 day service how is it acceptable for it to take over 10 days?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement