Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

NoPasaran wrote: »
    If you're paying specifically for a 10 day service how is it acceptable for it to take over 10 days?

Read the Terms & Conditions:
    1. Up to four passport applications can be sent together in one Passport Express envelope.
    2. All passport applications are processed in accordance with the Passports Act, 2008.
    3. Passport Express provides a next working day delivery service to the Passport Service for applications submitted to Post Offices.
    4. Passport Express provides a next working day delivery service in respect of the daily collection of passports from the Passport Service to applicants.
    5. Subject to terms 6 to 9 below, the Passport Service has 10 working days, exclusive of weekends and public holidays, from receipt of an application to issue a passport.
    6. The 10 working day service will not apply to any incomplete or incorrectly filled application.
    7. The 10 working day service will not apply to any application that cannot be processed under the terms of the Passports Act, 2008.
    8. Passport Express cannot guarantee delivery of passport if required in less than 10 working days.
    9. On exceptional occasions where extenuating circumstances exist for the Passport Service, the 10 working day service for Passport Express may have to be extended for a temporary period. Notice of this change and its likely duration will be published in the national press and on the Passport Service website
    Read back through all the pages here and see how many people realise at the last minute that their passport is about to expire, these people only think to renew their passports at very late notice and usually in the summer when most other people are doing the same thing. That's why it sometimes takes a bit longer than 10 working days, at the moment it's 2 days over that limit which isn't bad given the number of applications at present.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭NoPasaran

I know it says it in the T&Cs, I'm just wondering what's the point in offering an express service if it can't meet the demand when it's most needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

NoPasaran wrote: »
    I know it says it in the T&Cs, I'm just wondering what's the point in offering an express service if it can't meet the demand when it's most needed.

If you went to the Post Office and paid separately for all the postage costs then plus the €80 for the actual passport it would end up costing a lot more. People fail to take into account that the postage part has a cost as well.

Even if it took 3 weeks to get a passport application processed and the new passport through your letterbox it is still faster and more convenient than most (if not all) European passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I wouldn't say it's faster than all EU countries. Spain processes passports on the spot, takes about half an hour. If you do it from Ireland it takes about 3 weeks, and that's including the postage time.
    France does passports starting from 2 weeks, which is about 10 working days. I'm guessing longer in busier periods plus the time it takes to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

<snip>

Read back through all the pages here and see how many people realise at the last minute that their passport is about to expire, these people only think to renew their passports at very late notice and usually in the summer when most other people are doing the same thing. That's why it sometimes takes a bit longer than 10 working days, at the moment it's 2 days over that limit which isn't bad given the number of applications at present.

Not only that but the people who leave it until the last minute bump the people who applied in good time using Passport Express further down the queue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ShellyBops

hi I am wondering can anyone help me.

Me and my friend are flying out on 10th August and I have applied for mine last Friday with Northern Ireland passport express, will it be here in time?

My friend was going to go to passport office in Dublin with the travel documents to get hers. She has never had one either before and will she be able to get one over the counter in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

As title says

Thanks in advance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Leaving it a bit late to renew the passport? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Thunder63

Hi, I've applied for 1st passport for new baby. We live in Australia and applied through embassy in Canberra.
    The tracking tells me it was received on 3/7/13 and was issued on 17/7/13.
    It still says registered and received but hasn't changed. What does issuing mean and why has it not arrived back if it has been issued 12 days ago?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Thunder63

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Can aNyone share their experience of applying for a British passport? My mum was born there and have had my passport lost/ stolen 3 times. Would the British Embassy cross reference my Irish passport history thereby affecting the duration of any British passport I may be granted? I want to get away from a restricted passport which would be probably valid for 6 months or less if I applied for another Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

How's a going lads/Ladies, my passport expired expired last month but I can't for the life of me find it so essentially it's lost, what exactly should I do now to go about getting a new one? I'm also traveling away on the 10th of September , what are the turn around times these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ceiteach

ASOT wrote: »
    How's a going lads/Ladies, my passport expired expired last month but I can't for the life of me find it so essentially it's lost, what exactly should I do now to go about getting a new one? I'm also traveling away on the 10th of September , what are the turn around times these days?

The turnaround for Passport Express is currently 12 working days, and its 90 euro.

You need to declare your old passport lost, there's a specific section on the application form, and have it signed by a Garda. You also need to submit a copy of your birth cert, pay slip/bank statement, student ID/drivers license and utility bill.

Do have another really good look for it first before you report it lost, if your next passport is lost or stolen you might only be granted a restricted passport the next time.

I was just about to report mine lost when I found it in the nice safe place I'd left it - a notebook I'd brought abroad with me the previous trip 6 months earlier.

Sorry another question, have the application but it's looking for the name of my father on the birth certificate.. it's not on it however, just my mother's... will this be a problem? No marriage cert either.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Sorry another question, have the application but it's looking for the name of my father on the birth certificate.. it's not on it however, just my mother's... will this be a problem? No marriage cert either.

Irish or British application??

Sorry, British.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

Im sure this has been asked before but i havint come across it.

Im going to Sardinia for 10 days until the 1st of September.

My passport runs out on the 29th of September.

From what i have been reading up, once my passport is valid within the period of my stay i should be fine.

I think im cutting it a bit close for waiting on passport express as im flying out on the 22nd of this month so if i post a form tomorrow best case
    scenario is that i get the passport back on the 21st?

Anyone experience anything similar?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the reply,

I was on the Ryan air website and the department of foreign affairs and both say that the passport had to be valid for the period of my stay, which it is.

Thanks

Im probably a bit paranoid as i obviously dont want to miss my holiday.

Im going to ring ryan air tmrw too (",)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Ok, so from the previous query I had, I now have a passport of limited validity. I’m sure my passport must be ready by now and I’ll contact the embassy in Madrid, but I wasn’t really in a hurry because I’m going there in a few weeks. However my Mam and sisters are over visiting and we were talking about going to Morocco, and it only just occurred to me, I probably can’t got there on a passport of limited validity, can I?

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    Ok, so from the previous query I had, I now have a passport of limited validity. I’m sure my passport must be ready by now and I’ll contact the embassy in Madrid, but I wasn’t really in a hurry because I’m going there in a few weeks. However my Mam and sisters are over visiting and we were talking about going to Morocco, and it only just occurred to me, I probably can’t got there on a passport of limited validity, can I?

I was fairly sure that limited validity only really means time limited, as in you won't get a 10 year passport just a 3 year or perhaps even just 1 year passport. There are no other limitations to its use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Did you not have to submit your limited validity passoprt with your application? Even though it is limited validity it is still a passport which you can travel on.

If your new application is not ready then you can travel. if it is ready you will need to get it as the current one will be expired.

Yeah, I use it every day to go to Gibraltar from Spain and I can use it go anywhere else. However, they only have a 7 month's validity which means that there is only 5 months left, so I think I'm just going to give it a miss. I mean I think they might not be as strict as if you fly, but I'd rather not get a ferry there and then have a problem. I need to contact the embassy about whether my proper passport is ready yet (I assume so at this stage) but won't have it in time, anyway need to figure out when I can pick it up as I have to hand this one in to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Yeah, I use it every day to go to Gibraltar from Spain and I can use it go anywhere else. However, they only have a 7 month's validity which means that there is only 5 months left, so I think I'm just going to give it a miss. I mean I think they might not be as strict as if you fly, but I'd rather not get a ferry there and then have a problem. I need to contact the embassy about whether my proper passport is ready yet (I assume so at this stage) but won't have it in time, anyway need to figure out when I can pick it up as I have to hand this one in to get it.

Even though your passport only has 7 months validity it is still a legal travel document so they would have no grounds to refuse you

• Advertisement

Yeah....but I've had it 2 months so now only 5 months left (under the magic 6 months) I am tempted to go for it though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement