Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    Yeah....but I've had it 2 months so now only 5 months left (under the magic 6 months) I am tempted to go for it though...

Those seven month passports are considered emergency documents. If you're travelling on an emergency passport, I'd ring your nearest Moroccon embassy to check if it's acceptable. The only country I know that doesn't accept them is the USA but it's worth checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    Yeah....but I've had it 2 months so now only 5 months left (under the magic 6 months) I am tempted to go for it though...

That 6 months thing in a lot of cases is a myth. Once it is still in date for when you have your return you will be grand

livinsane wrote: »
    Those seven month passports are considered emergency documents. If you're travelling on an emergency passport, I'd ring your nearest Moroccon embassy to check if it's acceptable. The only country I know that doesn't accept them is the USA but it's worth checking.

They aren't emergency documents, it is a passport. Emergency Passports are no longer issued and don't exist.

The is an emergency document that is given in some cases but it is only valid for 1 journey. If you lost a passoprt in Spain for instance they will give you a document which will allow you travel home but it then becomes invalid straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Yeap ETC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Hey, so just to say,been to Tangier and back, no problem! Now I'd better see about chasing my full passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sorry another question, have the application but it's looking for the name of my father on the birth certificate.. it's not on it however, just my mother's... will this be a problem? No marriage cert either.

Just to quote a previouxs enquiry.. Application is for British passport. Thankss

• Registered Users Posts: 1 warrens3

Hi, I know it was a long time ago when you posted this thread but i am actually in the exact same position as yourself and am also wondering how i can obtain an old passport number. I also want to apply for my superannuation and my passport was stolen last year. Can you advise if you ever had any success with this and if so how i might go about it?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭damoPL

Hi guys. I need help.... My brother is flying out to Madrid in September with his team. They're flying ryanair and their coach is looking for passport details. Were polish but we renewed our passports in the embassy in town. He's looking for country of issue as per passport, unfortunately it says 'Polish consulate in Dublin' and here's where the issue lies. Should he tell the coach that the issuing country is Ireland (where we renewed it) or Poland (passport's Polish) or should he tell him that its the consulate, as it says in the passport. If its the latter should he give it in polish since it says it in polish in the passport. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Living in Ireland and applying for my first passport (British) and the prices seem very high, €174. Anyway I've filled out the smart application online (OL Form) and the only thing to be filled out now is the counter signature section. Who would be best to fill that in? I guess I could ring up my Doctor and ask him, it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Also do I just put the application, photos and the relevant documents into 1 big envelope and send it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

An Irish citizen is equally acceptable:

"That person should be a British citizen, Irish national, EU national, other British national or Commonwealth citizen who is a Member of Parliament, Justice of the Peace, Minister of Religion, Bank Officer, Established Civil Servant, or professionally qualified person, e.g. Lawyer, Engineer, Doctor, School Teacher, Police Officer or a person of similar standing."

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Is the interview a new thing introduced? Never known anyone to be called for an interview for a passport?

Will they just be general questions to prove who I say I am? Name, DOB etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I'm due to travel on the 10th of September and I cant find my passport, I have two questions, is it possible to get a new passport by then?

Can passport express be used?
    due to this quote on the department of foreign affairs website
    It should be noted that it will not be possible to expedite any application in these categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

Mousey- wrote: »
    I'm due to travel on the 10th of September and I cant find my passport, I have two questions, is it possible to get a new passport by then?

Can passport express be used?
    due to this quote on the department of foreign affairs website
    should be ok,get it in through passport express asap,it says 10 working days and they are running pretty close to that at the moment.
    you may have to send in a statement of loss form for passport you cannot find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

I got new passport last year but have since got married. want to book some flights in next week or so ( not travelling til December) and wondering if I get a new passport in married name before I fly out should I book my flights in my married name too?
    if flights are booked in maiden name and after booking I change my name on passport do I have to bring marriage cert with me or how does it all work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Book in whatever name is written on the Passport at the time you fly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Name on Passport has to match the name on the tickets at time of departure.

If you are planning on getting a new passport with your married name on it , you'll have to update the ticket - depending on the Airline this could be either easy or very difficult (Ryanair!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

When I changed my name I was told that it would be illegal to use my passport until I had gotten one with my new surname. I don't know if that applies to married people, I did it by deed poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

GarIT wrote: »
    When I changed my name I was told that it would be illegal to use my passport until I had gotten one with my new surname. I don't know if that applies to married people, I did it by deed poll.

No, for marriage that is certainly not the case.

The norm for people is to renew stuff as it expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

no wont be ryanair. going to asia and I dont know if I have to give passport details when booking the flights? So if I book in married name and it asks for passport details when booking I wont have that info yet. I know with Ryanair you dont but thats only airline Ive booked with in a good while!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

fifib wrote: »
    no wont be ryanair. going to asia and I dont know if I have to give passport details when booking the flights? So if I book in married name and it asks for passport details when booking I wont have that info yet. I know with Ryanair you dont but thats only airline Ive booked with in a good while!

Most Airlines offer the option of providing passport info, but it's not usually compulsory. However the "traveler name" you provide must match your travel documents at time of departure...

Also - If you need a visa for your trip that will have to be done on the new passport as they are not transferable

Tbh - What he said - Just wait you come back to get the new book..Makes life easier all round really...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

fifib wrote: »

When you do apply for your new passport I suggest you submit your birth cert and get your birth cert name recorded as an observation. This would allow you to travel under either name as the airline will be able to see that you're one and the same person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

GarIT wrote: »

Married women have the right to use either surname, maiden or husband's.
    Many women use both names, one for personal life and the other for work/professional.
    If your name change had nothing to do with marriage, then I guess that would just be a special case that would rarely come up for most people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement