Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

netopia wrote: »
    When you do apply for your new passport I suggest you submit your birth cert and get your birth cert name recorded as an observation. This would allow you to travel under either name as the airline will be able to see that you're one and the same person.

didn't know you can do this? is there something special on passport form you have to fill out for this?
    I would leave til afterwards but husband has frequent flyer for some airlines and easier for me to use the airmiles etc if in same name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

See note 2 part B on application form:

http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/pp-notes.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

cheers! I will do this cos im still under maiden name for work and will be alot easier when having to travel for work too!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

This post has been deleted.

I have travelled with both SAS & Swissair with my tickets booked in my observation name. I doubt any other airline will differ but a phonecall prior to travel with answer the query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

fifib wrote: »
    didn't know you can do this? is there something special on passport form you have to fill out for this?

As said earlier just tick yes in section 2 to have your birth name recorded as an observation but don't forget to submit your original long form birth cert with the application. Your married name will be printed on the page with the photo & on the opposite page your birth name will be printed.

Its actually handy for stuff like bank accounts as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

I am taking my son to Spain for a week on 8th September, his passport is up in October.

Will his passport be valid or does he need the 6 months period of validation after the return date?

If you're travelling within the EU you should be fine....

Gatica wrote: »
    If you're travelling within the EU you should be fine....

its the I "should" be fine part that worries me.

Flying Ryanair so they will let me board obviously, but they informed me that Spanish Airforce Authority insist on passport's having 6 month validation after return date.

This seems nonsensical, when you pay for a passport you should be allowed use it up to its expiry.

We received what we thought was credible info this passport would be ok, but travel doc's arrived today and in bold writing i'm seeing "Please check your passport now to ensure it is valid for your travel dates. Your passport must be valid for 6 months after your return date."

• Advertisement

travel doc's arrived today and in bold writing i'm seeing "Please check your passport now to ensure it is valid for your travel dates. Your passport must be valid for 6 months after your return date."

What travel docs are you talking about? Did you need a visa to go to Spain on a non-EU passport?
    If you're an Irish citizen, you can travel within the EU on a valid passport, end of.

From http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=8545:
    Entry Requirements
    You need a passport to enter Spain. There is no minimum passport validity requirement but your passport must be valid for the planned period of your stay. If your child is currently endorsed on your passport, it is advisable that you apply for a separate passport for your child.

thanks for all of the info guys

• Registered Users Posts: 28 twomill

i have been offered a job in europe but don't have a current passport , what is the quickest way to get one as employer needs to know how soon i can start( quicker than post if possible). any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

surely this would've been your first port of call??

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83334

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Make an appointment here for next week and bring a letter from your employer stating that you need to travel immediately (along with photo, docs, etc). You'll get your passport that day/day after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If its in the UK you dont need a passport if you take the ferry. But if its main europe, you could get an emergency passport from the passport office in Dublin. My mother went a few years ago( booked a holiday and 3 days before we had to travel realised her passport was expired) and she got the passport same day

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

hfallada wrote: »
    If its in the UK you dont need a passport if you take the ferry.

Aer Lingus (but not Ryanair) will let you fly to the UK without a passport.....

Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification.

Note: In order to travel between Ireland and the UK with photo identification other than a passport, passengers must have been born in Ireland or the UK and also be a citizen of either country.

The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
    • Valid Passport
    • Driver's licence with photo
    • International student card
    • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    • Bus pass with photo
    • Work ID with photo

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/visaspassports/#d.en.4568

mainland europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Panic here, my daughters and friends passports have been lost/stolen in Thailand today, they are on their way back to bangkok and flying home Monday.

Consulate only opens on Monday 8.30-12.30. They are hoping to get Emergency Travel Documents but I'm in a panic that they wont get them in time for their flight later on Monday.

Has anyone any insight on this or had a similar experience please.

Panic here, my daughters and friends passports have been lost/stolen in Thailand today, they are on their way back to bangkok and flying home Monday.

Consulate only opens on Monday 8.30-12.30. They are hoping to get Emergency Travel Documents but I'm in a panic that they wont get them in time for their flight later on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

noah45 wrote: »

Get them to head to a police station ASAP and report them stolen - presentign a a police document at the consulate will speed things up. If they have a copy of their passport, bring that, or any photo ID.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Thanks,unfortuneately no photocopy of passport,

Yes they got police report today and have id and new passport photos. Now they have to wait until consulate office opens at 8.30 in morning, it closes again at 12.30 and their flight home is later after that. So its touch and go....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

i ended up getting both separately as i found it cheap if you're only going to be driving for a week or more in a week. i found multitrip and carhireexcess..ie to be the cheapest for me this year

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Quick question. I'm about to send off the application for my UK passport but don't know if the photo sizes are correct. It says to send off 2 identical photos, but do I send them cut or still attached to each other? The pharmacy just printed me out 4 on the same sheet.

Also, Will the size of the photos be ok for a UK passport? They were taken here in Ireland so don't know if Ireland has the same photo requirements.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Quick question. I'm about to send off the application for my UK passport but don't know if the photo sizes are correct. It says to send off 2 identical photos, but do I send them cut or still attached to each other? The pharmacy just printed me out 4 on the same sheet.

Also, Will the size of the photos be ok for a UK passport? They were taken here in Ireland so don't know if Ireland has the same photo requirements.

Thanks.

It shouldn't matter, but I would cut them. Make sure you do it perfectly though. Size for UK and Irish passport photos is the same (4.5 x 3.5 cm).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement