Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

Cheers to all who took the time to reply. No sign of passport. I went to Garda station and reported it, got all the paperwork ready and went to Passport Office and told them my story as it was and they were very, very helpful. I'll have my new passport in the morning. It was not cheap though - there is a very hefty levy involved! No matter, it's sorted now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Send passport express application off on Monday 2nd.
    Received and registered afternoon Tuesday 3rd.
    Checked on Monday 9th.
    In post Tuesday 10th.
    In my letterbox this morning.
    So 7-8 working days in all. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Cheers to all who took the time to reply. No sign of passport. I went to Garda station and reported it, got all the paperwork ready and went to Passport Office and told them my story as it was and they were very, very helpful. I'll have my new passport in the morning. It was not cheap though - there is a very hefty levy involved! No matter, it's sorted now anyway.

Thank God... Have a good holiday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 twomill

i didn't apply for a job overseas, i was asked , and btw what is wrong with not having a passport, you have to have money to travel and to get passports and i don't have either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

twomill wrote: »
    i didn't apply for a job overseas, i was asked , and btw what is wrong with not having a passport, you have to have money to travel and to get passports and i don't have either.

Eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

i called into passport office to apply for 1st passport for a job overseas and they told me it will be 20 working days before i can get it so goodbye job. a great little country we live in.3rd of october before i will get it.:confused:
    Why haven't you had a passport before? Why didn't you, the moment you started applying for jobs abroad apply for a passport then?
    Eh?

The issue with not having a passport previously is exactly what's happened to you - you may need it at short notice for something unexpected.

If you'd saved €2 a week from your income the past year you'd have had enough money for a passport. Don't blame the system for taking a massive :rolleyes: 20 days to ensure that a very valuable document is going to the right person, blame yourself for not having prepared for every eventuality.

How much have you spent on useless things over the past year? Smokes, Drinks etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Hey,

Sister is in London and she realised her passport has run out. She doesn't want to wait for a new one and its her only photo id.

What options would she have to get back to Ireland?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

How is she travellling Jenno? Should be ok with driving licence on Aer Lingus I think, and maybe on the ferry too, not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Had to get to England for a funeral and realised passport was out of date. Flew with Aer Lingus no probs, heard the ferry is grand aswell. As far as i know Ryanair will not accept her, tell her to bring an up to date utility bill or bank statement with her just as a little back for address/id purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If she wants to fly it will have to be Aer Lingus, Ryanair will not take her without a valid (current) passport. She's unlikely to have any problems on the ferry but I'd bring some form of ID just in case.

Here's the Aer Lingus rules...

Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel

Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification.

Note: In order to travel between Ireland and the UK with photo identification other than a passport, passengers must have been born in Ireland or the UK and also be a citizen of either country.

The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:

• Valid Passport
    • Driver's licence with photo
    • International student card
    • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    • Bus pass with photo
    • Work ID with photo

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/visaspassports/#d.en.4568

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Thanks for all the replies. She going to go the ferry route. This is the reply I got from Stena.

Thank you for contacting Stena Line.

We have looked in to this for you and we are happy to advise that British and Irish Citizens travelling on our Irish Sea routes, do not need a passport to travel to Britain or Ireland. However, we do advise for passengers to take some form of identity. A driving licence, citizenship card or a utility bill will suffice. The expired passport will be fine also.

coylemj wrote: »
    If she wants to fly it will have to be Aer Lingus, Ryanair will not take her without a valid (current) passport. She's unlikely to have any problems on the ferry but I'd bring some form of ID just in case.

Here's the Aer Lingus rules...

Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel

Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification.

Note: In order to travel between Ireland and the UK with photo identification other than a passport, passengers must have been born in Ireland or the UK and also be a citizen of either country.

The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:

• Valid Passport
    • Driver's licence with photo
    • International student card
    • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    • Bus pass with photo
    • Work ID with photo

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/visaspassports/#d.en.4568[/QUOTE]

BA also an option as are Cityjet (London City) and possibly Easyjet to Belfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I guess you can fly within the UK without a passport, in which case she could have flown from London to Belfast (domestic UK flight) without a passport, then taken he train down south.

Anyway, that's all immeterial now as she's taking the boat.

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

I'm travelling to the UK in late October and need to renew my passport beforehand. It expired more than a year ago. I can't find my current one, however, but I do have a black and white photocopy of the photograph page on an A4 sheet. Would that be sufficient for the application? According to the Citizen's Information website, "A photocopy of the photograph page of your old/current passport" may be used, but it doesn't specify whether or not that has to be a colour copy. It would be nice to avoid having to report the document as lost.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

Cheers. As luck would have it, the passport surfaced in the last hour anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Hi. Is it definite that Ryanair will not accept anything other than a current passport for flights to the UK? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

macslash wrote: »
    Hi. Is it definite that Ryanair will not accept anything other than a current passport for flights to the UK? Thanks.

Yes, 100%.

Edit, for completeness, assuming you are Irish or British. If you are from an EU state that has a national ID card that will do too. But I'm assuming you're not as you'd likely know that already if you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That or a nartional ID Card. They will NOT accept a drivers license.
    Ryanair does NOT accept driver licences, residence cards, seaman books, a police report (issued in the event of travel document loss/theft), military ID cards etc. Expired or damaged forms of photo-id will not be accepted on any flight.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions#regulations-traveldocumentation
    (See section "travel documentation")

Where you're flying to makes no difference - the only issue there would be if the local authorites would accept it in order to allow you entry teh country of disembarkation (which , if you're flyig to the UK, isn't really relevant).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

When you say National ID Card do you mean the age card? It's stupid how Aer Lingus do accept driver's licence's and Ryanair do not.

And ya I'm Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Thanks.

When you say National ID Card do you mean the age card? It's stupid how Aer Lingus do accept driver's licence's and Ryanair do not.

And ya I'm Irish!

No, the age card is not a national ID card. Ireland and Britain don't have them.

Hope you're not travelling soon.

Rascasse wrote: »
    No, the age card is not a national ID card. Ireland and Britain don't have them.

Hope you're not travelling soon.

End of October! I got the passport form to fill in yesterday but thought I might save €80 for a while if I could travel without it.
    Actually, what is the average amount of time it takes for the passport to go through?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

End of October! I got the passport form to fill in yesterday but thought I might save €80 for a while if I could travel without it.
    Actually, what is the average amount of time it takes for the passport to go through?

Thanks again.

Depends on the time of year - probably a bit quicker now taht the summer's nearly over. You'l lhave plenty of time though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Thanks again.

You can still save on buying the passport if you fly with Aer Lingus or BA, anyone but Ryanair. But if you've already booked the flight with them you'll need the passport.

Thanks both of you for replying! I am flying home with AerLingus, but flying over with Ryanair :( Thanks for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Rascasse wrote: »

Britain used to have them. I still hold one and I regularly use it for Ryanair flights. Technically it's now invalid though, thanks to David Cameron.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rooney7416

Hi,

Hope someone can maybe reassure me here as I feel quite panicky but I'm flying to Scotland next friday (7 days from now) to see my girlfriend. However my passport got stolen last night and I have a meeting on monday morning in the passport office, to which I have to bring up the fully completed application etc, where they will tell me if I qualify or not for a priority.
    Unfortunatly when I was 12 my mother got robbed in France and my passport was stolen along with hers and I had to get a new one. So technically this is my 2nd lost passport even though the other time it was not an adult passport and I was too young to even fully remember it to be honest.

Any opinions, will I be ok?

You may be given a 6 month passport as you have two previous losses.

Who are you flying with to Scotland? If it's not Ryanair, any ID will suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Rooney7416

Driving licence got taken too so all I have are college ID and age card.
    Anyway flying with ryanir so doesnt matter :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement