Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rooney7416

A 6month one would be fine ! I'm just afraid that I won't have it in time for my flight, its friday morning so I'd need it 3 working days after I hand in my documents :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

A few pages back someone got it very quickly so you should be ok. I'm presuming you've got the Garda stamp on your stolen passport form?

To obtain a new passport you should complete a passport application form [APS1 if resident in the State, APS2 if resident elsewhere]. This should be witnessed by a member of An Garda Síochána if you are resident in the State or by one of the eligible witnesses listed on the APS2 form if you live elsewhere. The application form includes a section [Section 6 - Statement of Loss] to enable you to provide details or the circumstances of the loss of the passport. You should provide a full explanation of the circumstances.

When applying for your new passport you must resubmit your documents showing your proof of citizenship as if you were applying for the first time, please refer to First time adult applicants/Lost and stolen passports for requirements.

If you have a poor passport record, ie have lost two or more passports, it is likely that only very limited passport facilities will be given for specific travel purposes. On each occasion on which a passport is issued, even when this is a limited validity passport, the full passport fee will be payable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rooney7416

ah thats reassuring :) i emailed the passport office and they said because i've already lost one its not guaranteed that i would have it in time and it worried me a lot ! did that other person have a poor passport record too?

yea I've all signed by the garda and everything filled out

thanks for your help !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm an Irish citizen living in Italy. 2 days ago, I lost my cancelled passport while on a trip to Venice. I bring it with me when I travel within Italy as a form of ID for hotels, checks etc. Pretty sure I lost it on the train or the vaporetto, but I've no way of really knowing. All I know is that it wasn't in the jacket pocket I put it in when I got to the hotel.

I have only returned from Venice now. Should I report it stolen? And if so, where? The embassy in Rome? The local police? I will try contact lost and found at both Trenitalia and the Venice vaporetto company (probably have to wait until Monday), but not holding out much hope! It's a cancelled passport, but still, I am a bit freaked to think of what would happen if it fell into the wrong hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'm an Irish citizen living in Italy. 2 days ago, I lost my cancelled passport while on a trip to Venice. I bring it with me when I travel within Italy as a form of ID for hotels, checks etc. Pretty sure I lost it on the train or the vaporetto, but I've no way of really knowing. All I know is that it wasn't in the jacket pocket I put it in when I got to the hotel.

I have only returned from Venice now. Should I report it stolen? And if so, where? The embassy in Rome? The local police? I will try contact lost and found at both Trenitalia and the Venice vaporetto company (probably have to wait until Monday), but not holding out much hope! It's a cancelled passport, but still, I am a bit freaked to think of what would happen if it fell into the wrong hands.

I think what your saying is, its cancelled .. for whatever reason, you reported it lost/stolen or indeed it was cancelled for another reason.

If its cancelled it cancelled, nobody can travel on it, they will be flagged at a border control and arrested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If its cancelled it cancelled, nobody can travel on it, they will be flagged at a border control and arrested.

I don't think the OP is concerned about someone trying to use it at a border check, more that they will use it to check in to a hotel and then perhaps do something that attracts the attention of the Carabinieri.

In any event, Italy is completely surrounded by Schengen countries so you don't need a passport to cross by land into or out of Italy and I can't see anyone being stupid enought to attempt to use an expired passport (with the corners of the front cover cut off) to fly out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

coylemj wrote: »
    I don't think the OP is concerned about someone trying to use it at a border check, more that they will use it to check in to a hotel and then perhaps do something that attracts the attention of the Carabinieri.

Bo**ox, I wasn't thinking that before but I am now!!

Yeah, sorry about skipping on some context here. The passport was damaged through years of ware and tear. Check-in staff at Dublin airport eventually advised me to get a new one in February, which I did, via the Rome embassy. My new one since arrived (along with the old one, corner cut off, stamped "cancelled", etc).

Since then, I've used my in-date passport to travel, but my cancelled one for less important journeys where I may need ID. So the cancelled one is actually dated until August 2014, but it's otherwise cancelled. My main concern is identity theft, someone making a new passport with my name, etc.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Neil3030 wrote: »
    My main concern is identity theft, someone making a new passport with my name, etc.

But any employee of any Italian hotel could make a note of the details of any guest's passport and attempt to steal their identity. I really don't think you have much to worry about.

A current passport may have some value on the criminal black market but one with the corners cut off I'd say is worth zero. There's surely enough valid passports stolen by pickpockets and opportunistic thieves grabbing ladies bag in bars such that there's plenty of valid passports for sale to those who want them but I can't imagine yours has any value to criminals.

Your passport doesn't contain any information that people typically use for security questions such as where you went to school, your mother's maiden name, your PPS number or any other personal data. I wouldn't have any worries about losing an expired passport. What can someone do with your name, county of birth and date of birth but no details of where you bank, where you live or your PPS number?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭susie05

Just a quick question,if anyone knows it would be great..Can i check in online with aerlingus from dublin to uk using my driving license..or does it require a passport number

would it not be quicker just going onto the aer lingus site and trying to check in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Aer Lingus check in online does not require any details of your ID

You will be checked at the gate, before boarding so must have at least one of the listed valid ID's with you

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭susie05

schemingbohemia..i havent booked flight yet as i wasnt sure if i needed passport number for online check in and didnt want to waste my money just in case.so i couldnt try checking in in advance.

Goingnowhere..thanks for that,iv only ever used ryanair online check-in,but my passtport is expired and as im only going to Birmingham i said my driving license should do with AL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Remember the only point of the ID is to prove to Aer Lingus that you are who you say you are.

Its not for border control as there is no mandatory border control between Ireland and the UK anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Quiet Girl

Im flying to birmingham tomorrow with aer lingus and was planning on using my learners permit as I.D, im getting worried now reading some of the comments, can anybody assure me that they will accept my form of I.D ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Quiet Girl

Got through the airport no problem going to birmingham wit my learner permit

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Shandon

Passport is out of date and flying on Thursday morning!!Is it all over for me or is there ANY chance if I go in and say I lost it first thing in the morning with travel documentation etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Very slim chance.

What's my best chance of doing it Fred? Heading into passport office now first thing after getting Garda form and photos signed by then

Shandon wrote: »
    What's my best chance of doing it Fred? Heading into passport office now first thing after getting Garda form and photos signed by then

Would I be better saying I lost it or its out of date? In terms of speed and maybe sympathy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

You'll need to bring the old one with you to speed up the process, but frankly there's next to no chance of getting a passport same day these days (unless you've a dead or dying close relative). What time are you flying tomorrow morning?

Rascasse wrote: »
    You'll need to bring the old one with you to speed up the process, but frankly there's next to no chance of getting a passport same day these days (unless you've a dead or dying close relative). What time are you flying tomorrow morning?

flying round 9.30am tomorrow. Have looked into it and could fly out late tomorrow night for a reasonable price so if I was to even get it tomorrow afternoon all wouldn't be lost. Thanks for replying anyway, I'm on the way to Molesworth street now.

flying round 9.30am tomorrow. Have looked into it and could fly out late tomorrow night for a reasonable price so if I was to even get it tomorrow afternoon all wouldn't be lost. Thanks for replying anyway, I'm on the way to Molesworth street now.

Don't lie that it's lost! Where are you flying to? If it's the UK and you're not flying with Ryanair you don't need a passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

They know when its out of date so that would be pointless.

The passport is lost, you need to Guards to fill out the lost/stolen section. Get in straight away. You would be better changing your flight to late Friday to have any chance

Passport is out of date and flying on Thursday morning!!Is it all over for me or is there ANY chance if I go in and say I lost it first thing in the morning with travel documentation etc??
    AGC wrote: »
    They know when its out of date so that would be pointless.

The passport is lost, you need to Guards to fill out the lost/stolen section. Get in straight away. You would be better changing your flight to late Friday to have any chance

It's not lost, are you really suggesting they lie to the Guards and the Passport Office?

It's not lost, are you really suggesting they lie to the Guards and the Passport Office?

Apologies. Misread earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Would I be better saying I lost it or its out of date? In terms of speed and maybe sympathy!

I really don't think sympathy has anything to do with it if you go and lie to the authorities... I'm pretty certain it would be an illegal thing to do.
    Hope you manage to renew your passport in time, as you've learned already yourself, it's best check your passport before booking flights in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 drb0b

Hi all. I've recently applied for an Irish passport for my 7 year-old son. This will be his first passport. We live in the UK so I applied through the Irish embassy in London. The application was received about two weeks ago and was marked on the status tracking page as received on 16 September. Issue date was 27/09/2013. Three days ago status changed to being checked, as expected, but when I checked on-line today the received date had changed to 03/10/2013, which is today. Nothing else has changed. Can anybody tell me why the received date has been changed and set to a date over two weeks after the application was actually received?

Right now tracking status looks like this;

Status: Application received on 03/10/2013 and is being checked.
    Issue Date: 27/09/2013
    Website Last Updated: 03/10/2013 at 13:45

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JoaoMLVF

"Application No xxxxxxxx. This application could not be processed. A letter outlining the reasons for this decision has been posted to you. If you have not received this within two days, please contact An Post at http://track.anpost.ie/track.html or contact their Customer Care service at 1850 575859 and quote the following envelope reference no PX xxxxxxxxIE".

After checking everyday the passport status, I have this today (Issue Date)! Frustrating after all these days, specially because the passport its for my 7 weeks old son, and now Im wondering for what reason could not be processed, as a GARDA officer looked at it and nothing said, plus if we pay pay an administrative fee at An Post for the service, they should be able to verify if something was missing ad they also looked at it!

• Advertisement

JoaoMLVF wrote: »
    "Application No xxxxxxxx. This application could not be processed. A letter outlining the reasons for this decision has been posted to you. If you have not received this within two days, please contact An Post at http://track.anpost.ie/track.html or contact their Customer Care service at 1850 575859 and quote the following envelope reference no PX xxxxxxxxIE".

After checking everyday the passport status, I have this today (Issue Date)! Frustrating after all these days, specially because the passport its for my 7 weeks old son, and now Im wondering for what reason could not be processed, as a GARDA officer looked at it and nothing said, plus if we pay pay an administrative fee at An Post for the service, they should be able to verify if something was missing ad they also looked at it!

More than likely the photos so.

It will get priority when you send it back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement