Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

They don't even want your documents in an envelope. All documents get taken out and put in to an express envelope (plastic). You write your name and address on part of it and this envelope is used to send your passport back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ace of Hearts

It's probably been asked before but I'm too lazy to read all 287 pages. Just wondering what's the difference between the large and the standard 10 year passports besides the price? Is it more advantageous to have the large passport? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

SportsMad1 wrote: »
    It's probably been asked before but I'm too lazy to read all 287 pages. Just wondering what's the difference between the large and the standard 10 year passports besides the price? Is it more advantageous to have the large passport? Thanks.

Thats more for people who travel outside the EU a lot, more space for visas and stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Guys,

Need to fly on monday, discovered my passport has expired..

Booked an appointment in the passport office for 9:40am, but the read that it will be 3-5 days turnaround on a new passport :(

Is there anyway I can get the passport the same day?

Thx
    Jayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Crap :/ I thought I had read somewhere on this thread that someone waited around all day and got one

thx Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I'm an Irish citizen with an Irish passport. I was born in the UK of Irish parents.

My child was born here recently and am applying for a passport for them. When I contacted the passport office, they said to fill in a Form A.

However, this form is obviously for people born within the EU but who are not Irish citizens. For one, it wants me to declare I'm a national of my birth country (I'm not) and to give evidence of this nationality (I'm not British, left there at age 8 and never had a British passport).

Baffled as to how to proceed - anyone else done this?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When you were talking to them, they must have only registered the fact that you were born in the UK, not that you were entitled to and did have Irish citizenship when the child was born. It specifically says in Form A that it (the declaration you make using Form A) is not required if at the time of the child's birth, one of the parents was an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen. Clearly Form A not apply to your child.

From the www.passport.ie website, this applies to you...

WHEN MAKING APPLICATION FOR A PASSPORT FOR A CHILD BORN ON OR AFTER 1 JANUARY 2005 THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION MUST BE SUBMITTED ALONG WITH A COMPLETED APPLICATION )

A - Where a parent is an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen

-The Child's Long Form Birth Certificate, and

-The Long Form Birth Certificate or Passport of that parent.

It looks like you will need to submit your Irish passport with the application. No harm to clarify this with them, it doesn't mention a photocopy though I can't see why they wouldn't accept a photocopy since they issued the document so they can easily check if the photocopy is genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyone know if it's possible to replace a lost passport without a brith cert?

I have no idea where the brith cert is, and I can't get a fresh copy as I was sopted and don;t know my brith parents' full names.

On the plus, I do have a very good quality scan of the lost passport - will that help?

And to complicate things, I'll be doing this from Berlin...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Hi guys, was meant to travel to London Monday/Tuesday but just realised passport is out of date! Couple of questions:

1. Any chance of getting an emergency passport before those days?
    2. Is a passport strictly needed for a flight to London?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    Hi guys, was meant to travel to London Monday/Tuesday but just realised passport is out of date! Couple of questions:

Thanks

The big question is who are you travelling with?

Should be possible to get a passport by Tuesday if you have proof of a flight booked and are willing to go to the Passport Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »

Thanks

Passport not necessary at all unless you're travelling with Ryanair. Pretty sure all the other carriers don't require a valid passport for travel in the common travel area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Rascasse wrote: »
    The big question is who are you travelling with?

Should be possible to get a passport by Tuesday if you have proof of a flight booked and are willing to go to the Passport Office.
    veetwin wrote: »
    Passport not necessary at all unless you're travelling with Ryanair. Pretty sure all the other carriers don't require a valid passport for travel in the common travel area.

Got a new job and there was training in London for others who do what I do. It was suggested I go along for the experience of it so I've no idea who I'd be flying with or anything. I can make the passport office early in the morning anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

If you have a driving license tell them to book you on Aer Lingus or BA (or take the ferry if you're desperate). Ryanair or no driving license = trip to the passport office in the morning.

Edit: I see you're in Cork, so forget about BA and ferry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Posted my application (lost passport) on the 29th of October. New one in post today , the 8th of November . Not bad at all. Thank you to all in the passport office :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Okay, so I'm travelling to the USA tomorrow week. I went to photocopy my passport for my Visa Application and found that there is a pretty decent sized crack on the bio page (the hard card like page).

From a brief conversation with the passport office (we got cut off before finished), I believe I could possible get a new passport issued in time.... but just about. And I recall hearing something about travelling within 48hrs after been issued a new passport?
    So, if I didnt get it until Friday, would I have a problem travelling on Saturday?

Anyone know anything about it?

I have the option to travel with it damaged as the lawyers dealing with my Visa application have said they will reach out to the border control and explain the situation. I think I might be better off just travelling as is and ordering a new one the normal method (I'm back at Christmas for two weeks).

Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Anyone know if it's possible to replace a lost passport without a brith cert?

I have no idea where the brith cert is, and I can't get a fresh copy as I was sopted and don;t know my brith parents' full names.

On the plus, I do have a very good quality scan of the lost passport - will that help?

And to complicate things, I'll be doing this from Berlin...

You were adopted?? Its your adoption cert you need then not your birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

netopia wrote: »
    You were adopted?? Its your adoption cert you need then not your birth cert.

Actually found the damn thign in the end, but this is still useful info because that one I do have.

Cheers.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

From http://www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie/shop/adoption-certificate/ not any kind of an official site but it words it nicely ...

for official purposes an adoption certificate is now the legal document and replaces any previous birth registration

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cooperation

jimbling wrote: »
    Okay, so I'm travelling to the USA tomorrow week. I went to photocopy my passport for my Visa Application and found that there is a pretty decent sized crack on the bio page (the hard card like page).

From a brief conversation with the passport office (we got cut off before finished), I believe I could possible get a new passport issued in time.... but just about. And I recall hearing something about travelling within 48hrs after been issued a new passport?
    So, if I didnt get it until Friday, would I have a problem travelling on Saturday?

Anyone know anything about it?

I have the option to travel with it damaged as the lawyers dealing with my Visa application have said they will reach out to the border control and explain the situation. I think I might be better off just travelling as is and ordering a new one the normal method (I'm back at Christmas for two weeks).

Any advice?

I also broke / cracked the main page on my passport while traveling and was en route to Ireland to visit family last weekend and was travelling back to the country where I currently live on Tuesday afternoon.

I picked up the forms at the Garda station on Saturday evening and got photos done and completed the form etc, I got the form and photos signedat our local Garda station on Monday morning (4th Nov) early and went direct to the passport office in Cork.

I went to a hatch with everything and explained the situation (they were surprised I got to travel into Ireland in the first place given the condition of the passport). I asked if it was possible to get it replaced same or next day - usual civil service babel of "not sure", "unlikely" etc - the guy took copy of my booking and said he would speak with a supervisor etc and came back and said they would try for the next day, but could not guarantee it and would hold my current passport un-cancelled until Tuesday in case my new one did not get delivered from Dublin in time.

There was an extra fee of €55 , total cost €150 instead of the standard €95.

I was able to check my application online when I got home from Cork and it had a status of approved and later that evening it showed as printed.

I got my new passport in Cork on Tuesday (5th Nov) lunchtime a little before my flight, so travelled headache free. I asked on collection and was told that the Cork applications are scanned digitally to the passport printing office in Dublin and printed on the day received and sent overnight by courier to the Cork passport office to be available by 10:30 am the following day. From other posts I read on here before going to Cork to get it done suggest that you can get it done same day in Dublin for the same cost.

Essentially there is a next day service, but they don't want to advertise it, I very much appreciated getting it done quickly , but wish they were more straight forward on the process rather than be vague about it on their website - min 5 days etc.

I am not sure what your visa issue is considering Irish passport holders travelling to the US just need to do an ESTA application online , pay $14 and it more or less comes back as approved instantly no waiting.

One piece of advice if you decide to travel without getting it replaced -DO NOT use Sellotape etc to hold it together as you will potentially be accused of interfering with the passport which will automatically invalidate it (albeit well intentioned)- I used a checked baggage tag behind my crack to hold it together, as airlines regularly seem to do put them on your passport nowadays so would not draw attention to it.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I also broke / cracked the main page on my passport while traveling and was en route to Ireland to visit family last weekend and was travelling back to the country where I currently live on Tuesday afternoon.

I picked up the forms at the Garda station on Saturday evening and got photos done and completed the form etc, I got the form and photos signedat our local Garda station on Monday morning (4th Nov) early and went direct to the passport office in Cork.

I went to a hatch with everything and explained the situation (they were surprised I got to travel into Ireland in the first place given the condition of the passport). I asked if it was possible to get it replaced same or next day - usual civil service babel of "not sure", "unlikely" etc - the guy took copy of my booking and said he would speak with a supervisor etc and came back and said they would try for the next day, but could not guarantee it and would hold my current passport un-cancelled until Tuesday in case my new one did not get delivered from Dublin in time.

There was an extra fee of €55 , total cost €150 instead of the standard €95.

I was able to check my application online when I got home from Cork and it had a status of approved and later that evening it showed as printed.

I got my new passport in Cork on Tuesday (5th Nov) lunchtime a little before my flight, so travelled headache free. I asked on collection and was told that the Cork applications are scanned digitally to the passport printing office in Dublin and printed on the day received and sent overnight by courier to the Cork passport office to be available by 10:30 am the following day. From other posts I read on here before going to Cork to get it done suggest that you can get it done same day in Dublin for the same cost.

Essentially there is a next day service, but they don't want to advertise it, I very much appreciated getting it done quickly , but wish they were more straight forward on the process rather than be vague about it on their website - min 5 days etc.

I am not sure what your visa issue is considering Irish passport holders travelling to the US just need to do an ESTA application online , pay $14 and it more or less comes back as approved instantly no waiting.

One piece of advice if you decide to travel without getting it replaced -DO NOT use Sellotape etc to hold it together as you will potentially be accused of interfering with the passport which will automatically invalidate it (albeit well intentioned)- I used a checked baggage tag behind my crack to hold it together, as airlines regularly seem to do put them on your passport nowadays so would not draw attention to it.

Good luck

So you are having a moan about the civil servants who got the job done for you??

The reason you got the 'babel' is because they can't 100% confirm it will be ready. You could submit an application with photos that don't work or a number of problems could arise with the application so why would they let themselves in for being wrong?

Be happy you got it on time to travel. There is also not a 'same day service' they accomodated you because they could as you were travelling home the following day. It is a different situation to someone having booked a random holiday and realising the passport is out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Guys

I live in China but my passport is now full.

Do I have to come home to Ireland to get a new passport, or can I fedex it back and get my parents to do it, or is there a better way?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Guys

I live in China but my passport is now full.

Do I have to come home to Ireland to get a new passport, or can I fedex it back and get my parents to do it, or is there a better way?

Cheers

Go through the Embassy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

yes, if you live abroad you should be registered with the Irish embassy in the country in which you live. If you're there temporarily that may be more difficult, but someone else cannot apply for your passport on your behalf as your signature on the form must be witnessed by a garda.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement