Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I know you don't need to register, but I thought you would if you were applying for passport. thanks for clarifying that.
    I didn't know you could apply through embassy if you're temporarily abroad as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1414

I paid €89 for a new passport and received it back with a wrong "place of birth" on it..due to travel Monday...to say i'm freaking out is an understatement! how does one overlook such a thing??

they told me to post it back with my documents and they'll have the new one out to me before then.... but they won't receive it until thursday so that means they would have to have it out the same day. really hoping they can fix this and i dont have to travel up to dublin :(

so stressed out!! has this happened anyone else?

a different county! i'm going to the USA so didn't want to chance it

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Steviesea

Hi everyone,

I need to apply for a second Irish passport, I have to send one away to get a visa for work while travelling on another.

I have a letter from my employer (a UK agency) which is the standard one they use for UK passport holders.

Should I just rock up to the door in Dublin with the letter, passport photos and my original passport?

There is nothing on the website, I can't get through on the phone, and nothing back yet from an email enquiry.

Has anyone here been in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Steviesea wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I need to apply for a second Irish passport, I have to send one away to get a visa for work while travelling on another.

I have a letter from my employer (a UK agency) which is the standard one they use for UK passport holders.

Should I just rock up to the door in Dublin with the letter, passport photos and my original passport?

There is nothing on the website, I can't get through on the phone, and nothing back yet from an email enquiry.

Has anyone here been in this situation?

Pretty sure you are only allowed to hold one Irish passport at a time unless you're entitled to an Official or Diplomatic one as well.

Okay...an employee at the passport office told me this a few years ago. Obviously you have more up to date information?

• Advertisement

Ok. I understood that they would replace a passport in the case of an unwanted Isreali stamp rather than issue a separate one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

veetwin wrote: »
    Okay...an employee at the passport office told me this a few years ago. Obviously you have more up to date information?

You can have a second business passport for many reasons. People who require a lot of visas may have to send 1 off while using the other to travel and as Fred said there can be hassle with certain Visa's in certain countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

veetwin wrote: »

It wasn't the case a few years ago either.

well, they f*cked up and put the wrong birthplace on my passport that i paid €90 for, then promised me if i posted it back i would have it in the morning for sure. so i took their word and sent it back, then called this evening to check and make sure it had gone out in the post...
    guy i was dealing with wouldn't pick up the phone but called the main office and they informed me it was still being printed!!!! ridiculous..

apparently there was an error and they couldn't get it out in todays post and the only option i have is to a. travel up there and collect it or b. collect it at the airport before i fly....they already messed it up i don't want to risk waiting until a few hours before i'm due to fly to collect it, so now i have to pay a relatives train fare/taxi fare/etc. so they can go up and collect it for me tomorrow in dublin. all for a mistake that isn't my fault. also had to pay nearly €6 to post it back to them a few days ago.

not at all happy considering the price i paid for the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I dropped my passport express application into the post office on November 11, accepted/registered November 12 in my hand the evening of November 21 - 8 working days. Pretty great turn-around at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 xiaoen

Hi,

I'm applying for a replacement passport as I lost mine somewhere in the midst of moving house. Has anyone else gone through this process in Ireland? I am an Irish citizen.
    I understand I need to send off certain documents with the accompanying form/photos as if applying anew, but I'm not sure if I am required to send my original birth certificate and marriage certificate or certified copies. It does say on the form a certified copy of a driver's licence or other ID is required but not sure about the certs. Also, any idea how much it costs to get a certified copy stamped by a notary?
    I have read through the citizen's information and dfa.ie websites and have been unable to find this info so, although I greatly appreciate people's suggestions, I would prefer advice from someone who has gone through this and knows for sure what is required.

Many thanks in advance

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

xiaoen wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm applying for a replacement passport as I lost mine somewhere in the midst of moving house. Has anyone else gone through this process in Ireland? I am an Irish citizen.
    I understand I need to send off certain documents with the accompanying form/photos as if applying anew, but I'm not sure if I am required to send my original birth certificate and marriage certificate or certified copies. It does say on the form a certified copy of a driver's licence or other ID is required but not sure about the certs. Also, any idea how much it costs to get a certified copy stamped by a notary?
    I have read through the citizen's information and dfa.ie websites and have been unable to find this info so, although I greatly appreciate people's suggestions, I would prefer advice from someone who has gone through this and knows for sure what is required.

Many thanks in advance

Seán

They were looking for 44 euro when I nearly had to do it (found the passpot in the end)

http://www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie/shop/birth-certificate/

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Oh, ok. GRO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

General Register Office. You can apply online for certs.

Based in Roscommon I think

• Registered Users Posts: 11 xiaoen

Thanks for the reply Fred. How do you know this? The passport office's website (www.dfa.ie) says you need to supply:

" the long form birth certificate of the applicant and a civil marriage certificate, if appropriate, and evidence of entitlement to Irish citizenship ,where applicable;
    additional form of photo-identification; e.g. certified copy of a drivers licence, work ID; student card; social club membership; passport from other country etc.;
    documentary evidence to show use of name, e.g. payslips; records of unemployment or disability payment; bank statement; college registration etc.; and
    evidence of residency at the application address, e.g. utility bills; official correspondence from public or private sector etc."

Princess Consuela Bananahammock, you mean it was 44 euro to get my driver's licence certified or the birth cert?

Thanks again for input

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I just helped my aunt fill her Passport renewal form as her old passport will expire soon, took her photos, she got the gardai to fill it up etc. However upon reviewing all the information we just discovered that we ticked "Standard 10 year passport" instead of "over 65, 10 year"

My aunt is 66 and I wonder will this matter or is it just a part of the form which was there for when the passport was free to over 65's? I can't see how it could make a difference as she will have to pay the €80 or do over 65's get a reduced passport or something like the driving license?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richy1

Hi. I Need to renew my irish passport. Im living outside Munich. Will the embassy in Munich have the form for new passport and can the sign as the witness straight away when i collect it. i want to drive there early tomorrow to do it as im flying to ireland the 23rd december.

richy1 wrote: »
    Hi. I Need to renew my irish passport. Im living outside Munich. Will the embassy in Munich have the form for new passport and can the sign as the witness straight away when i collect it. i want to drive there early tomorrow to do it as im flying to ireland the 23rd december.

Yes, they wll have the form, no they can't sign as witness. You need someone from the same list as back in Ireland (and the police WON'T sign it in Germany - I had to get mine doen at the Burgeramt, and even then they weren;t sure).

Three weeks is cutting it VERY fine - mine took 5 from Berlin in mid summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richy1

Cheers, have you any ideas where i can get it witnessed in Munich. I will pay extra for it to be back in time.. Embassy in Berlin said it was possible, so fingers crossed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement